ReefCleaners.org

Mischeif Nite's 10g (DIY Tunze Calcium Dispenser)

Mischeif Nite

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice work! A nice mix of corals...:)

Thanks......would have looked a-lot nicer if "somebody" would have let me come over to check out their corals...haha

Looks great. New clam?! :) Im jealous.. Can we get a close up? :D

I've had the clam for a couple months now....doing and looking great......I was in the LFS and my wife asked how much they were and if we would be able to keep one.....I said yeah we have the lighting, but look at the price tag.....I went off to go look at other things and next thing you know she has the LFS guy baggin' one up!!!! She's the best :D

I'll try to get a good pic soon...

Wow, if that really is a crocea that is insane. It looks more like a T. Maxima to me, though.

Great tank!

Thanks!!.....must look bigger in pics than what it really is......it's only about 4" + and it was sold to me as a crocea.

Nice! Looks healthy and all. What are you dosing?

Thanks.....just phytoplex, freeze dried mysis or marine flakes every other day......and now Purple Up for calcium until I get B-Ionic because of the SPS and such.

Got myself some B-Ionic.....Alk was down to 7dkh and I'm going to try to get up to 10 or 11dkh I guess. Anyone know the optimum alk level for keeping SPS, Clams, etc.???

not a clue, I just dabble with softies... sps scares me, but good luck, you're off to a great start though

Thanks...test kit says 8-10dkh is good, but I wondered if anyone could chime in with something more concrete

How are you with calcium? Do you have to dose everyday w/the clam in there?

Yeah every morning I dose both parts of B-Ionic to keep the calcium and alk where it should be......doing tons of testing right now to see how fast everything's getting used up.

Yeah, I should be getting my kits and ionic too, going to have to start getting a feel on how often I need to dose. I think i'm going to take the leap and grab one soon.

Any updates?

Any updates?

Nothing I thought was worth writing about, but my ORA acro is sprouting polyps on the side that was browned at the store that I had a thread about...........and I also have a slow sump build I have going on. I DIY built a sump out of a 10 gallon tank and got my hands on a return pump.....just want to get a SCWD and some loc line and other misc. plumbing.......I already have an CPR overflow I got from FateX9 off of the boards, so just waiting to get some time to get the plumbing together. I'm sure I'll be posting pics, trials, tribulations, etc. :lol:

Nothing I thought was worth writing about, but my ORA acro is sprouting polyps on the side that was browned at the store that I had a thread about...........and I also have a slow sump build I have going on. I DIY built a sump out of a 10 gallon tank and got my hands on a return pump.....just want to get a SCWD and some loc line and other misc. plumbing.......I already have an CPR overflow I got from FateX9 off of the boards, so just waiting to get some time to get the plumbing together. I'm sure I'll be posting pics, trials, tribulations, etc. :lol:

Nice looking tank! I was planning on having a false perc and a yellow tailed damsel, too. How do yours get along?

I wish my tank looked half as nice as yours.

Is your clam happier placed up against the rocks? I have mine sitting pretty much right in the middle of the sandbed, so obviously nothing there for it to attach its foot to. It jumped a couple of times but seems alright now. Still wondering if I should move him over towards the rocks though.

I wish my tank looked half as nice as yours.

Is your clam happier placed up against the rocks? I have mine sitting pretty much right in the middle of the sandbed, so obviously nothing there for it to attach its foot to. It jumped a couple of times but seems alright now. Still wondering if I should move him over towards the rocks though.

Wow, thank you!!

I also tried putting my clam right in the middle of the tank on the sand so it could be a nice center piece to look at......unfortunately he had other plans and was always migrating over near that rock.....so, I just let him be and before you know it he had attatched himself there, so I figured that's where he was happy. Where he is gets prime flow from the power-head, so I'm sure it's a great place to suck up all the nutrients he needs. I've seen your tank as well and I'm mighty envious of all that purple!!!

Nice looking tank! I was planning on having a false perc and a yellow tailed damsel, too. How do yours get along?

Thanks!! They get along fine, somtimes like two brothers on a long car ride together ;) ,but in general...no problamo. That being said, if I were to have a different choice I'd go with a clown and some type of goby........maybe a shrimp/goby pair...something more interesting. Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...
Mischeif Nite

Fresh water test driving the new addition to my tank.....

sump2.jpg

Testing this in the basement before adding it to my existing 10 gallon tank on the hardwood floors upstairs. System consists of a CPR CS50 overflow, 10G DIY sump, Rio 2500 return pump split lines with a "T" (no SCWD yet) out through the U-tubes......Also, going to get a Aqualifter pump before the switch for a little insurance, then a little LR rubble (cured of course), light, and chaeto etc........

Mischeif Nite
I like this.

I would like to make a 10 gallon sump and would appreciate if you could post a few pics highlighting the sump.

Thanks....I'll see if I can get some later for you.....tons of info all over this site and youtube about building 10 gallon sumps.....10 gallon tank/ acrylic panel (Home Depot/Lowes)/ Silicone........

• 2 weeks later...

looks great so far.

eventually you'll prob want to pick up a refractometer (theyre like $20-30 on ebay) as they are WAY more accurate then a hydrometer.

are you planning a DSB in the sump?

Mischeif Nite
looks great so far.

eventually you'll prob want to pick up a refractometer (theyre like $20-30 on ebay) as they are WAY more accurate then a hydrometer.

are you planning a DSB in the sump?

Thanks.....yeah, definitely going to get my hands on a refractometer soon. As far as the DSB goes, I wasn't planning on it because I didn't want to mess with the possibility of a "cycle" in my existing tank....didn't give that too much thought. Is it possible?? pros/cons of deep sand bed in sump???

• 1 month later...
Mischeif Nite

Well, I should have gotten that refractometer sooner. I believe adding about 8 more gallons of water with a different salinity caused a salinity swing that was too much for the SPS to handle. So....lost all the SPS and pissed everything else off. I've spent the last two months getting everything back on track.....got myself some new goodies to help keep the tank as stable as possible #1 being a refractometer of course and also a Tunze Osmolator, Tunze Nano skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr., and a Phoenix bulb.

So, here's where I'm at now.....everything stable a happy again with a bunch of new additions

fts12-29-08.jpg

Right now I feel like an ORA junkie, got the Red Planet, Roscoe's, Pearlberry, and Borealis

Pearlberry

pearlberry12-29-08.jpg

Roscoe's

roscoes12-29-08.jpg

Borealis

borealis12-29-08.jpg

The planet is still coloring up from bad placement at the LFS....color's comin' back but wasn't worth the pic

Rainbow Monti, Setosa, and Bonsai

rainbowmonti12-29-08.jpg

Just put a frag rack in the tank yesterday to "clean up the lawn".......more pics to come.....

Thanks for lookin'

Archived