Innovative Marine Aquariums

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

Looking good Evil - nice idea for adding in a frag tank.

For the closed loop, I've got an OM super squirt on my 40B. It's absolutely amazing. Highly recommended.

The OM products are so much better than the SCWD - for one, you can open them up and clean them, swap out drums, etc. Closed loops always look much more professionaly and tidy than even a vortech, IMO.

I have been considering the OM super squirt. Gotta save up for it. The only thing I don't like is how bulky all the plumbing is behind the tank. I wonder is a pair of 2-way squirts would work. It would handle the flow. Lot more money though.

Neanderthalman, do you have dimentions for the main body of the super squirt?

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone :)

Should be getting my pumps for Xmas and a bunch of gift certificates to my LFS. That will get me going for the next few steps. Gotta order some goodies from Glass-Holes after the new year.

I was going to lay out my sump over the last few days, but then my roof started leaking :angry:

Hope Santa was good to everyone today!

I got pumps! Got the Oceanrunner 3500 (sump return) and the 6500 (closed loop). These things are beasts! I never realized how big and heavy they were. The 3500 came incorrect for some reason. It came with a needlewheel impeller instead of the paddle. Gonna get that fixed Monday.

Few more pieces coming together slowly.

Ok, I just scored a smokin' deal today. My LFS has had a two channel Koralia wave controller and two Koralia 4 DC pumps for a long while now, and they decided to blow them out just to get rid of them. Scored the controller and both pumps for $300. This is going to be awesome in the frag tank.

Ok, I just scored a smokin' deal today. My LFS has had a two channel Koralia wave controller and two Koralia 4 DC pumps for a long while now, and they decided to blow them out just to get rid of them. Scored the controller and both pumps for $300. This is going to be awesome in the frag tank.

:o Helluva score bro!!! :happydance:

This should be SWEET!!!

I would seriously consider T5s for the frag tank. With t5s you'll get more even coverage, and they're super efficient with very little heat. you'll get MUCH better coverage than with a 150halide for the same wattage(4x39w). it's pretty easy to pick out bulbs that pack some mega punch for optimum growth. I think GE 6.5k bulbs are like $10 and they've got some very impressive PAR.

edit: CL put off quite a bit of heat so it's possible you'll be fighting heat on two fronts. no matter what, I'm stocked. I'm love my 40br, can't wait to see what you do with yours.

I'm not worried about the heat with the CL, as the heat will not be in the water. Very little heat gets transfered when a pump is used externally. It would be different if the pump was submerged.

I'm not sure whether I want to use a 150W or a 250W at this point, but the reasons are the same. I want the growth, and with a 3ft tank, I have the option for low light areas for corals like yumas, dendros, sun corals, tubestrea, and sensitive acans.

I'm so geeked about the Koralia kit. I'm going to do some experiments to see what is required to run these without the wavemaker. Should be a very cheap alternative to those who like to mess with microcontrollers.

gotcha. hadn't thought about low light stuff... I'm an acro lover. :-)

I've been thinking of doing something similar to this but with a display fuge instead of a frag tank in the middle. I'm stoked at your build, def. going to watch this one.

Thanks!

Yeah, I love acans too. I have two frags that are growing nicely right now, but I'd love to get some rarer colors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while, mainly because I haven't had anything to update:)

All the remainder of the parts have been ordered, and the last of it should be here tomorrow. Yay! Wife said get it finished. Who am I to argue :)

Shopping list includes:

Octopus NW110 skimmer (they changed the height to match the Aqua Euro skimmer, so I went with this one)

Oceans Motions Super Squirt Compact

2x 700gph Glass Holes overflows

Full Diamond Hole Saw Kit

150W MH retro with ARO Ballast and Phoenix 14K

300W Finnex Titanium Heater and Advanced Controller

Misc. Bulkheads and Strainers

I'm excited. I might try and get the tanks drilled this weekend and get a coat of paint on the back. I would love to have the tank start to cycle by my birthday later this month (frags are very welcome as bday gifts btw :lol:)

Still have lots to do on the LED light. This will probably be the last thing to be completed.

Well, a box showed up today, but it didn't have all of my goodies in it. Super Squirt was listed on the packing slip as shipping in a sperate box, but I never recieved tracking info for it. I'm a little concerned that I don't know where a $260 piece of equipment is. Maybe UPS just stiffed me.

nate_mcnasty
fixturebottom.jpg

is it ok if i use this idea for my led build? I've been trying so hard to think of a hood for my light and this just looks so awesome. I pinkie swear it won't look as good as yours ;)

Sure.

I found out that they shipped the Super Squirt via a different company direct from the manufacturer, but didn't tell me about it. Probably won't be here till Monday :( Still have lots to do before that shows up. Got two fresh batteries for the drill ready to go for drilling the tanks.

Evil when you build the Led light would you do a DIY build. I have been flipfloping on what i want to do for my 40 breeder. After seeing yours i am in love... LED all the way, and i sure i will need help. Thanks so much in advanced

I probably will. Depending on how things go this weekend, I might start drilling the heatsink. I have to drill over 120 holes, and then tap most of them :o

Can you explain taping?

He means using a thread tap to make the holes threaded.

Oh, and hurry up and get to work.

I probably will. Depending on how things go this weekend, I might start drilling the heatsink. I have to drill over 120 holes, and then tap most of them :o

So ............ We want over a 120 pictures :rolleyes:

Well, that will make for an interesting photoshoot.

Hoping to get the tanks drilled and painted this weekend.

I also ended up getting a media reactor from BRS. Big and cheap. I like that.

He means using a thread tap to make the holes threaded.

Oh, and hurry up and get to work.

You're one to talk.

Display tank is drilled, and the paint is drying. That was a pretty nerve-racking experience at first, but went pretty smooth after the first few holes. 8 holes drilled today, 3 in the frag tank tomorrow. Don't know if I will get the plumbing started tomorrow, but I don't have class all next week, so things should move pretty quick. I'm determined to get water in this by the end of the month.

Archived