Top Shelf Aquatics

Porcelain Anemone Crab

Beaker

You can get as many as you want, they all find places to hang out if they don't all get along. Make sure there's a lot of liverock in there so they can hide..and make sure you dont get any fish that eat little crabs!!!!! I had 4 in my 7g, they avoided eachother like the plague...I was trying to get the pink one to have babies...but it still hasn't happened yet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey every one. i have been keeping an eye on this post for a while. I love Porcelain Anemone Crabs. I just bought one from my LFS about an hour and a half ago. he is amazing. He is the normal variety yet diffrent because he has splotches of purple and pink dots on diffrent parts of his body. He is now hiding behind my anemone on the anemone's Colum thingy. i am able to see him when i reach my head to the very back of the tank. i also got a randalls pistol shrimp who within 1 hour has dug a long tunnel under a rock. i think i might call him Bulldozer. lol. Can any one think of a good name for my Anemone crab?

Isn't there a difference between porcelain and porcelain anemone crabs?.....it seems in this thread as though everyone thinks they are the same thing...

Hiya all!

Dreamz, may I ask how much iodine are you dosing? I've had some really bad experiences with iodine in the past even when "testing". My LFS says that not a single iodine tester works. I know conditions vary from tank to tank, but I was interested in your opinion...!

Thanks!

P.S. I got 2 beauties today from my LFS. Not as nice as yours of course!:P

Okay. I want one and have for a while. I have a RBTA and am getting a bunch of rics in a couple days. Would the crab try to move into the anemone and kick the true perc who lives w/ the anemone out? I think the clown might beat him up. I don't want to have conflict if at all possible, but does anyone think the crab would take a hint and go somewhere else?

Originally posted by Kogut

Would the crab try to move into the anemone and kick the true perc who lives w/ the anemone out?

nothing is for sure, but it is likely he will try to make his way into the RBTA (like mine did) and kick the clowns out.

here is mine:

oshimai-bta.jpg

he keeps the three Thor amboinensis away from the RTBA. may be a Periclimenes would be allowed in ... i will give it a try sometime :happy:

Toine

donald altman

there are more then one kind of porcelian crab... I just had my favorite one die... he was with me well over a year... I am not sure of the lifespan or what could have killed it.. looked fine no injuries.. feed snow and brine even sinking food for my hermits...

You can find these crabs on coast lines from florida to south carolina.... They are a diffren't variant of the same crab... they have no assiciateion with anemones and are diffren't colors..

mainly olive green to brown or black. they have bright blue eyes and rhasps... the joins are all brightly colored orange as well...

they hang out around the rocks and at low tides if you pick up a

oyster rock you will undoubtedly find several of these guys...

they may not be as brightly colored as the ones from the tropics your getting at the fish store.. but equally as cool and free !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my Porcelain, I don't have any anemone for him. I plan on keeping a lot of coral in a 12g nano do you think it would be safe to have a RBTA in the tank. I have seen some that have it and I have talked to others that say its not safe if the anemone decides to move it can damage corals.

I have 2 clowns in the tank I guess if I put in a anemone the crab and fish would have to fight over it.

12160porcelaincrab1-med.jpg

Archived