Cultivated Reef

Porcelain Anemone Crab

Beaker

Porcelain Anemone Crab

(Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)

Anybody have any problems with these guys? I know you should never trust a crab totally, but looking to see if anyone has any first hand experiences. I did a search and found some info...just looking for bad experiences. Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beaker,

I've had one for a short time now, and I am very happy with him. He is docile and roams around the tank looking for a good place to let out his filters to eat.

Only downside:

Mine likes to climb up on my Toadstool leathers to filter feed. This kind of irk's my larger leather (about 6") and makes my smaller ones temporarily retract. He doesn't seem to faze any of the other corals ('shrooms, GSP, etc).

~V

they like to live inside anemones. it is "hosting" in your toadstool. mine has taken up residence in my green carpet anemone. THEY DON"T REQUIRE AN ANEMONE TO SURVIVE. let's just get that clear. =p

good luck with your new crab

• 4 months later...

The only 'problem' I've had with my anemone crab is that it, big suprise, likes to hang out in my anemone which my clownfish really don't like. He holds on for dear life while they take turns pummeling him. When I added my amenone I was hoping something would host with it and now there seems to be a constant battle over who has dibs.

Mine Does the EXECT same thing. My Clownfish Tag team my crab, i've had a couple ripped fins, but nothing that hasn't healed, a second er.. 3rd anenome solved this problem.

my crab stayed beneath my powerhead at the bottom of my tank for the first two weeks. I have four or five anemones all of which are the same size or smaller than he is.

my favorite invert. mine filter feeds nonstop but also eats crab pellets, fish flakes, and even algae that he comes across. only problem i have had with him is he has never had all his legs.

if i had a bigger tank i would have 3.

nalbar

They're cool little crabs. Only problems I could forsee is that it might starve if you don't have enough food floating around. Mine will eat nori, flakes, frozen food practically from my hand. I've also seen him scavenge some stuff from the rocks. But his claws are real clumsy. The only problem I've had with him is that somehow he ended up in my powerhead intake. I mean, he was inside the powerhead with his little back legs dangling out. He swam out when I moved it. Have no clue how he got up there.

• 2 weeks later...

i got another porcelain and well this one is huge and very different from what im used to. he is bright red in the right light. oh and now i also have a pom pom crab which is bad ass. here is a pic of a bubble and my 2 porcelains.

You should DEFINITELY get a porcelain crab!!!:woot: They are so cute! I've had mine for a few weeks now and she's one of the most interesting creatures to watch...and also one of the prettiest. She doesn't bother any corals (yet), she swims around the tank looking for the best spot to filter feed. She'll eat flakes, spirulina, mysis shrimp..and whatever she can catch in her fans.

:love:This is one of the best pictures I could get of her!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by dreamz1200

You should DEFINITELY get a porcelain crab!!!:woot: They are so cute! I've had mine for a few weeks now and she's one of the most interesting creatures to watch...and also one of the prettiest. She doesn't bother any corals (yet), she swims around the tank looking for the best spot to filter feed. She'll eat flakes, spirulina, mysis shrimp..and whatever she can catch in her fans.

:love:This is one of the best pictures I could get of her!

What an oddly little bugger looking at the other pics I didn't think they were purple shes quite cool

"You should never trust a crab totally" is slander! Porcelain crabbity crabbers are great little guys. I have two. One is the everpresent Porcelain Anemone crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai). The other was sold as a Porcelain Decorator crab and I have yet to look up his latin name. Both are filter feeders, great additions to the tank.

digitallinx, here is a very large pic which shows the crab's fan hands that it uses for filter feeding. They wave them in the current and every so often swipe them on a smaller set of pom pom mandibles near the mouth.

Here is a smaller pic that shows him chillin' out in his hybrid anemone, Heteractis aurora x malu: Yay!

Here's a pic of the other one, the decorator. He's also harmless and I have no idea why the call him decorator. I think the LFS was mistaken or something. ... this one is very shy in comparison to the white one, it's almost Kimpossible to get a pic of him.

Korbin, some porcelain crabs are known to be swimmers. Also, you gotta recognize, crabs are master escape artists.

dreamz1200, that is a wicked specimen.

Skeet skeet skeet!

Hwarang Thanks...I knowwwww its a great specimen, I've NEVER been able to find any pics of pink/yellow/orange porcelain crabs...I have one of your standard white/marroon porcelain crab also...the pink one is a female and the white one is a male, I'm hoping they make babies someday, and come out with some really unique colors.

• 3 weeks later...

Lakerfan I've NEVER had any problems with either of my porcelain crabs, they just filter feed all day and sometimes i feed them a mysis and they gladly take it from my hand, they're totally peaceful little crabs. I think these really are peaceful crabs because their big claws are kinda clumsy..they mainly grab the mysis or any other kind of food I offer with their little fan arms. They use the big claws to shove other crabs away I've neer seen them actually pinch anything with the big claws before.

dreemz where did you get the porceiln at she's beautiful! i've got to get one! i had two both passed on during the great salinity spike brought on by to long of exposure to my parents.

offsprg01- I got the porcelain from a place in Pleasant Hill called "All About Fish"...I've been looking for another pink one also, pink babies would be nice! She was carrying some eggs a few weeks ago, and she was suspiciously wandering over to my basic white male porcelain, I dont know if the eggs were ever fertilized, but she layed them in the sticky tube anenome covering..but something ate them in the middle of the night!:*( I was so sad!! I hoped the babies were gonna be pink or light pink or something...oh well, I'll wait till next time and pick the eggs out and stash them in a safer place! I think the damn peppermint shrimp ate the eggs...or maybe the cleaner shrimp, but I doubt it. Good Luck finding another one! You must tell me if you do! It'll give me some hope that there are more pink ones out there!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i found it while searching for info on mine.

you guys that get to see your crabs are lucky, I never see mine. I put two in a week ago, and the only way I can observe them is to get on my hands and knees, and look through the side of the tank into the back of the rocks. then i'll see both hanging on some rocks feeding. maybe it's the powerhead I have behind the rockrwork that circulates water in back that keeps them back there. it's nice and dark, and they have good flow, so they love it. I just wish they would come upfront.

how long have some of your had your crabs? did they tend to hide more at first?

I've noticed mine go nuts when I feed cyclop-eeze, or DT's. they even love it when I take a turkey baster and blow the rocks off.

trmiv, both of my porcelains hid in dark corners after I first got them...they like to be in strong water flow so they can filter feed...they moved after a while out into the open...one of them hosted to a ricordea, and the other clings to a piece of rock in the front of the tank. I think my porcelains came out of hiding because I have no fish in my tank..so they had to find out if they were safe or not. If you have fish, maybe that could be scaring them into the back too? I also blast the "crumbs" off my liverock, and they go crazy as well! It's only been a week, so just give them some time to adjust...I think they'll move around some more, maybe to a better place for filter feeding..if its that important you can always rearrange your rockwork so there are less nooks & crannies...maybe pointing the powerhead somewhere else would help too, if you're really that concerned. Some people's disappear into the rockwork and they rarely ever see them! At least you know theyre doing okay. If you have an anenome, they might turn it into their home, and that will be a pretty visible place, depending on where the anemone moves to, or is attached to. Good luck with your porcelains, if you have anymore questions...or you wanna chat about them feel free to email.

• 1 month later...

what do you guys think about having a porcelain crab along with some clowns hosting in a bubble tip anemone? would that be a bad idea? i wouldnt want all tha guys to tear each other up

dreamz1200

I would think that the clowns would get territorial and harrass the porcelain, they're shy little guys...the porcelain crabs don't need an anemone at all to survive, one of my porcelains hangs out on a ricordea..he hangs out on it, and under it...if you got one, I'm sure the little guy would find some good place in your tank to call home!

dreamz1200

the porcelain that hangs out with my ricordea is a baby still, he's not nearly as big as the other porcelains I have...here's a pic

Archived