SaltCritters.com

Let's See Your LFS Steal

Aqua newbie

Rarest/most expensive LIVING thing in my tank is a/an...  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Rarest/Expensive

• FISH
    • CORAL
    • INVERT
    • ALGAE
    • ???

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chest Rockwell

My best purchase - the price was right: $0. This little guy was lying on the bottom of one of the tanks when I walked in, so the owner gave him to me for free. Best purchase I've made so far.

post-42520-1237520764_thumb.jpg

post-42520-1237520781_thumb.jpg

I believe they are robbin's egg Zoas $10 for 20+ heads in a little ball shape super cool I was able to frag off about 5 heads after only about 2 weeks in the tank

web.jpg?ver=12349161440002

here are the babies in the 2.5AGA

web.jpg?ver=12373448710001

• 3 weeks later...

i got two zoa frags, one paly frag, and two shrooms for free from my LFS :) check out my tank for pics.

oh and i know it doesnt live but it does move, i got a koralia 1 for free from the same LFS :D

I got my huge bright red mushroom(small at the time I bought it) for 2.50

I dont have a pic of it now but you can see it in my avitar or in my tank thread.

Wow, some great photos. I guess nobody "steals" fish.

When I read this thread title I thought it said, "Let's see your LFS steal the nicest-cheapest living thing you've ever bought! Didn't make any sense until I started reading the thread.

no pics but I got a 100(or so) polyp eagle eye colony for $25, a 20(or so) polyp kedds red colony for $20 (not that much of a steal) and as I was debating with the owner that sps are extremely hard to grow under aquapod lights, he gives me a free pocillopora damicornis and frag rack for it to go on to try to prove it can be done. It's in my aquapod right now doing pretty well- granted, the upper polyps on the frag are a half cm from the top of the water to maximize growth opportunity.

So I end up with about 2 moderate-small zoa colonies and an sps frag for $45. Not as great as some of the deals you guys got but I'm happy. :)

carbon-mantis

I just got a pair of eagle eye zoanthid polyps, a stalk of pulsing xenia, and an unidentified nub of a soft coral for free from my LFS. :D

Annnd, just now, an asterina decided that the soft coral tasted good. Off to the flush :angry:

2 awesome chalices for $70

One looks like this

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=60271

and the other has a pink and green flesh.

Got em at MAX convention in the OC

i got two zoa frags, one paly frag, and two shrooms for free from my LFS :) check out my tank for pics.

oh and i know it doesnt live but it does move, i got a koralia 1 for free from the same LFS :D

I got my huge bright red mushroom(small at the time I bought it) for 2.50

I dont have a pic of it now but you can see it in my avitar or in my tank thread.

Wow, some great photos. I guess nobody "steals" fish.

When I read this thread title I thought it said, "Let's see your LFS steal the nicest-cheapest living thing you've ever bought! Didn't make any sense until I started reading the thread.

no pics but I got a 100(or so) polyp eagle eye colony for $25, a 20(or so) polyp kedds red colony for $20 (not that much of a steal) and as I was debating with the owner that sps are extremely hard to grow under aquapod lights, he gives me a free pocillopora damicornis and frag rack for it to go on to try to prove it can be done. It's in my aquapod right now doing pretty well- granted, the upper polyps on the frag are a half cm from the top of the water to maximize growth opportunity.

So I end up with about 2 moderate-small zoa colonies and an sps frag for $45. Not as great as some of the deals you guys got but I'm happy. :)

Does 2 Pearly Jawfish pairs count as a steal got both pairs for 120!

I just got a pair of eagle eye zoanthid polyps, a stalk of pulsing xenia, and an unidentified nub of a soft coral for free from my LFS. :D

Annnd, just now, an asterina decided that the soft coral tasted good. Off to the flush :angry:

WOW !! Guys these are all great ! Is my computer broke? I can't see the pics !!! Oh , right thats because you did not post pics !!!! :rant:

Thread title is clear !!!! Let's See Your LFS Steal :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Aqua newbie

i'm sure for any coral collectors that this would be an awesome steal. --I need a frag of this!!!

Someone buy it!!!

I saw this at pacific east aquaculture online for $69.99!

I'm pretty sure it's an awesome deal, :( I can't afford shipping

It's also wysiwyg

post-36667-1240697911_thumb.jpg

Ive had many steals or at least i think they are but the one i know is a pretty good steal was from petco where i got 2 blue rics one with two mouths for a toatal of about 19 dollars. :)

i'm sure for any coral collectors that this would be an awesome steal. --I need a frag of this!!!

Someone buy it!!!

I saw this at pacific east aquaculture online for $69.99!

I'm pretty sure it's an awesome deal, :( I can't afford shipping

It's also wysiwyg

I live a little more than an hour from Pac East Aqua. They are VERY nice and they have some crazy stuff there.

Where are you at? You can buy it and I will send you half! :lol:

E

DogfoodEnforcer

my best bang for the buck is probably a blue acropora gomezi (sp?) that i got for $25-$30. sounds like a lot, but it was about 5" wide by 5" or 6" tall, with a bunch of branches. i couldnt believe the price when i went to pay for it.

another great deal was when i ordered from a frag company up here in canada. he gave me a free green rhodactis. that single rhodactis has now multiplied to 14...all covering one rock. it looks like an alien rave at night on that rock.

i THOUGHT i got a great deal when i got a really nice pulsing xenia (i was a newb and wanted it so bad) for $5....that darned frag has come back to haunt me.

theplatypus

Don't have a picture, but several years ago I scored Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp for a large chain for $4.95 a piece. I bought 5. lol

• 3 weeks later...
Formula462

i cant make anyone jealous with my corals. just a toadstool, couple buttons, and mushrooms. but they were all free at least. but im out of free stuff. i want to buy some zoas and more shrooms. i like ricordia but this dude i know keeps telling me its doomed to not live very long.....he is a successful reef keeper himself but i dont know what to think about that comment. i didnt think rics were THAT hard to keep. seems like everyone on here has some. and nice healthy ones at that. wonder if he just has bad luck with them.

aqauria1085.jpg

aqauria1078.jpg

aqauria1100.jpg

pretty weak so far i know ( going slow im lazy) . but everything in there other than the rock@ 2.50 per/lbs and koralia was free.

well the clown was 10 bucks and the scooter blenny is like 5. pretty close to free. this tank is 4 months old on the money.

don't have a pic yet but i got my Blue Spotted Jawfish for 80 BUCKS!!! I felt really good about myself after that!!

• 6 years later...
lobster876

I just got 5 3 inch by two inch purple gorgonians for 2 bucks each and 10 lunar eclipse zoos for 10 bucks. I also got a rock with over 10 mushrooms on it for 30 bucks.

Archived