Pod Your Reef

drfunks jbj nano cube yay!

drfunk

here are some pictures of my 2 week old nano cube. I am having a great time stocking it up. Just moving slow. Pink zoos, perc clown, 3 scarlet reef hermits and a bumble bee snail my next purchases will be a more effective cleaning team, either the the sealife? moonlite or a rigged one from radio shack. And an extra powerhead to go into my back wet dry area with a hose connecting it to the main tank? is that possible? my next coral will most likely be some flo green star polyps. Should i get another clown or a cleaner shrimp. and where is all this algae coming from!

Interesting aquascaping you got there, i like

I say get both, clown and cleaner shrimp

:)

you can get a few nassarius (sp?) snails to help stir your sand bed a little. They will also eat left over meaty foods and even flakes.

THe wattage of the bulb is only 24 watts. I dont really plan on upgrading i plan on keeping it pretty simple. The store display had a wide variety of soft corals that some people posted would no survive in this tank. Due to the shallow depth and cube shape design light dispersment is increased with a greater intensity. I love the tank and i didnt have to spend a fortune my stand is even made out of 6 cinder blocks but i kinda like it look. and the holes in the blocks double for storage of wires, test kits, supplements, hydrometer and so on.

technoshaman

bertz - I've seen them in person, they are worth the money IMO considering the quality - it's pretty good for a JBJ product and figure if you spend 50 bucks for a minibow plus another 50 for lighting upgrade and 20 bucks for a powerhead and filter it's a good deal.

I have finally got my 7 minibow looking good or I'd buy one and move everything over.

- Nice tank by the way Dr Funk!

harbingerofthefish

What are the deminsions on those things? I didn't realize they were curved front like that. I have a 180 watt light setup just dying to get fired up on top of something :D

MrConclusion

Because the color temperature of reef lighting is so much bluer than normal daylight (and especially indoor lighting) your photos look very blue. This is due to the fact that a camera can't automatically adjust the way your eye/brain does.

Most digicams have a few "white balance" settings, this is where you select the color temperature that the camera represents as white. Most cameras have the following settings:

"Indoor" (lightbulb symbol) - makes incandescent look white instead of yellow.

"outdoor" (sun symbol) - makes outdor look white instead of blue.

"fluorescent" (long bulb symbol) - maked fluorescent look white instead og green.

"Auto" - camera chooses by itself.

"Manual" - This is the good one!

Reef lighting is outside the range of most of the built-in settings. What you should do is select "manual," at which time there's usually a "push to set" function. You're supposed to point the camera at something white, click "set," and then the camera will adjust to your lighting conditions.

The best thing to do is to put the camera right up to the glass and point at the bright surface of the sandbed, so that it fills the frame. This "white sample" DOES NOT need to be in focus. Press "set."

Now take your photos!

i had a small cycle in the first week it is now week 3 and my nitrate are less than 5-10ppm amm is 0, kh is right in between 10 to 12 drops on the test kit. salinity is 1.024. temp is 80. have been running a fan during these hot days with the feeding lid up.

here is some new stuff. i got a small anemone that i was told does not need or like light so i put him in the open shade of an overhang an actual identifacation i did not get so if anyone could inform me that would be great. The anemone was 20$ the gsp's with white centers that have yet to open up were 15$ the feather duster attached free of charge. and i also got 3 small hermits from the hawaii area that i also dont have identifacation for were 2$ a piece i got 3 and i also go 4 nasarassis snails for 10$

green star polyps are just starting to come out now they have white centers i got a small piece for 15 dollars and there is a feather duster on the front

technoshaman

Cool - the anemone looks like a Waratah - common in australia thought I seem to remember they live in areas with tidal extremes - and almost temperate water.

static69static

I see on the return you have a piece of airline tubing. Why and where is it going? I just got one of these tanks a week ago and moved an existing setup into it. Really love it, but would like to add lighting, but does'nt look good and really don't want to experiment. Trying to find addons others have done. Little interested in the airline tubing, I guess you have it going back into wet/dry?

Archived