Pod Your Reef

help id this thing pls

fish_chips

Uhhh...yes, they do. You are thinking Turbinaria or something. This is probably a typical solitary polyp. I have two colonies on Florida Live Rock that is similar but grow in groups.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendrophylliidae.htm

Thanks, I had just found this to add as a reference:

Looks to me like some kind of Oculina or cup coral which is a type of LPS. Do you have Florida live rock? They usually show up as hitchhikers on Florida rock. I've got one in my 9g:

CIMG4431.jpg

The tenticles are differnent which makes me think it is one of the other things I listed. This is all moot though if it doesn't have a skeleton.

I posted and then saw your reply. The last pic is what I have in my tank. They were small but have grown quickly. That and the star corals were why picked up one particular rock. Hitchhikers are my favorite part of the hobby, for some strange reason.

I posted and then saw your reply. The last pic is what I have in my tank. They were small but have grown quickly. That and the star corals were why picked up one particular rock. Hitchhikers are my favorite part of the hobby, for some strange reason.

Mine too. I especially like my baby plate hitch hikers, although can they be called hitch hikers if I bought the rock because of them?

I'm pretty sure it's a miniature cup coral. It's all shriveled up and you can see the hard skeleton. Touch it and you should be able to feel it.

look at coral: cup here

YEAH, it looks exactly like this except mine is not as big.

Thanks, I had just found this to add as a reference:

The tenticles are differnent which makes me think it is one of the other things I listed. This is all moot though if it doesn't have a skeleton.

thats it!! it looks exactly like this after i touch it and it retracts.. except mine isnt orange... maybe cus its too small?

so its a cup coral?

thats it!! it looks exactly like this after i touch it and it retracts.. except mine isnt orange... maybe cus its too small?

so its a cup coral?

Yes, if you click on the purple arrow next to the time stamp in the quote around the pic it will take you to the thread I took the pic from.

Yes, if you click on the purple arrow next to the time stamp in the quote around the pic it will take you to the thread I took the pic from.

yeah i saw the better picture of it... thats what mine looks like when retracted.

cool i have my first good hitch hiker. well my second actually. i got a half a star fish that is still alive and sort of regenerating... will post a pic when he decides to come out in the open.

there arent any bad star fish is there?!?

Mine too. I especially like my baby plate hitch hikers, although can they be called hitch hikers if I bought the rock because of them?

Great. Now I have to wrap my brain around this one. I bought half my stuff because of something growing on it. ;)

Great. Now I have to wrap my brain around this one. I bought half my stuff because of something growing on it. ;)

I did the same thing. The original rock I bought because it was small enough to fit in my tank, then I bought another piece of rock when I upgraded to the 5.5g. After that the only rock I bought was because it had plate growing sites on them and some rubble so my pistol shrimp would stop stealing my corals to use as building material.

Archived