Coral Vue Hydros

Chyendra's 30 Hex

Chyendra

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pretty small filter so there's not much I could do with it. I took out the biowheel, and the filter pad and put in a bag of chemipure elite instead, I also keep my thermometer in there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Soon.. :)

I've been very busy with final exams (1st semester of Vet school almost complete!)

I'm getting some new frags this coming weekend, and doing a water change and what not, so I'll take some new pics after that. My monticap seems to be growing, so thats exciting :) but my yellow polyps aren't, I'm not sure what they're missing, but I'll just have to wait a bit more.

Rocket, I really like the partial lid you made for your hexagon. I had the hardest time figureing out the lighting/hood situation with my tank, but your set-up looks great. I love the look of those 42 gallons. So deep :)

looks good. the madison reef club usually has a nice frag swap in jan.

http://www.madisonreef.com

ahh, here is the info:

So we have a time and a place set up for the fragswap! We are going to have the MARS Fragswap 5.0 at the Middleton Fire Station (#1 I think?) on University Avenue Saturday, February 7th from 1-4 pm. We will have a one hour pre-swap swap for folks with tables only to get a chance to do a little trading before the chaos begins

great deals to be had & very nice folks if you are intersted.

c

thanks Carinya

I'm actually already a MARS member and I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been to a frag swap, but all the people I've met so far from MARS have been wonderful. I'm glad to have such a great reef club in my area.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated pics: Dec 22nd

post-4019-1230665486_thumb.jpg

Yellow Scrolling Cup?

post-4019-1230665502_thumb.jpg

Green Striped Shroom

post-4019-1230665973_thumb.jpg

Side Shot of Teal Candy Canes

post-4019-1230666016_thumb.jpg

front view

post-4019-1230666464_thumb.jpg

Green Plate coral & Blue Mushrooms

post-4019-1230667102_thumb.jpg

Green Slimer & Pink Zoas

post-4019-1230667287_thumb.jpg

Blue Milipora

post-4019-1230667620_thumb.jpg

Tulip Anenomes (don't worry they're on thei're own rock isolated from other corals to keep them from spreading

post-4019-1230667655_thumb.jpg

The lobo is continuing to improve :)

post-4019-1230667960_thumb.jpg

lol, how old are you tiny?
just the right age to date all the lovely ladies here. :naughtydance:

i liked that series. cartoons nowadays are better written and drawn, it's kinda like how graphic novels have evolved/matured.

chy,

the tank looks nicely matured and settling in. the coralline seems to be plating all over! *thumbsup*

• 2 weeks later...

my green slimmer & blue milli browned out while I was gone over break :( I don't know if this is because my 150watt MH isn't enough light?? (they came from a tank running about 20 of those 6500k screw-in CFs) Too much light?? but they don't look bleached, just browner....

my salinity raised a bit while i was gone, from 1.025 to 1.027 ish.... I've lowered it back, but is 1.025 still too high? will their colors come back? :(

is my leather bothering them??? I'm running carbon (chemipure elite)

Should I feed them somthing?

help!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they where not used to the intensity of your MH light. Feeding coral is always a plus.

Salinity is fine. I run 1.026. Keep your light schedule stable.

Well enjoy being the only active Hexagon tank now on Nano-reef.com. After the 31st of January I will no longer be running my hex. It was fun having a tank no one else had but I want bigger fish and bigger corals and well bigger everything.

Cheers,

Rocket.

Well enjoy being the only active Hexagon tank now on Nano-reef.com.

:-(

& what am i? chop liver?

btw great tank, love the BB look, it's what i should have done!

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will just give them more time to acclimate. Some people have tried to tell me that keeping SPS w/o a skimmer is impossible, but my phosphates are 0 and my nitrates are only 5, so I feel like I have pretty good water quality. I've also been told that running carbon 24/7 is bad for SPS, but others do it right??

I guess I'll just wait and see.

I haven't forgotten about your hex JBM :) I'm sure there's a few others out there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope the lines stay that way too. Do they usually change?

Here's some new frag pics:

post-4019-1236652436_thumb.jpg

what kind of zoos are these? ^

post-4019-1236652468_thumb.jpg

I thought this candy cane was cool because it wasn't the normal green color, it's sort of a power blue/ lilac/ grey

wholetank03-09-09.jpg

• 1 month later...

You'll be able to keep the sps just fine. Like rocket had advised, feeding definately is a large factor for sps growth/color/happiness. The more you feed them, the less they rely on the algae, and that helps your color. The salinity fluctuation might have influenced their change. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the advice! What is the best food to feed SPS?

I changed my MH bulb and that made a huge difference as well. I guess mine was just getting old. Here's a before and after of my green slimmer after only having the new bulb for a week. My blue milli is still brown though, so Hopefully it will color up again.

post-4019-1240031563_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1240031589_thumb.jpg

amino acids and phytoplankton are great additives for the coral. yes, they get a large amount of energy from the algae, but the more energy they get from food, the less they need from the zooanthellae, and the more colorful they become.

what kind of bulb did you switch to? phoenix?

Archived