Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skydive's 46 Bow

skydive

CarterNichols

The starfish was doing very well until a few days ago when I added a sump and wiped out all the corals and the star isn't looking to great now. On the bright side the hermits, snails, clam, and fishes are doing excellent. Don't know what caused it, maybe the plumbing that I didn't rinse, not really sure though. Basically starting over again, and in the midst of the downfall I got some help from some local reefers that are willing to help restock and got me interested in joining the local reef club so some good things came out of it so it's alright.

sorry to hear about that... :/

yeah joining the local reef club around me was the best thing i ever did... it really helps when people are willing to give you a frag here and there... or just nearby help incase of disaster...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very helpful, I thought I was going out of town this morning and was freaking out because the ATO failed and couldn't find an aqualifter for a JBJ I had laying around and posted on the local forum at 2am Sunday morning and by 10am I had 2 pm's and a phone call from one willing to sell me one and another going to drive 45 minutes to unlock the fish store that was closed.

Very helpful, I thought I was going out of town this morning and was freaking out because the ATO failed and couldn't find an aqualifter for a JBJ I had laying around and posted on the local forum at 2am Sunday morning and by 10am I had 2 pm's and a phone call from one willing to sell me one and another going to drive 45 minutes to unlock the fish store that was closed.

what what what??? ?all your corals got wiped out?!?!?!? omgomgomg im soooo sorry to hear that. i should make a frag of the Roscoes i have and send it to you...or i could just get another one from my lfs and ill send that to you...all you need to do is pay shipping.

Yeah Nate complete white out and tissue loss. There might be a polyp here and there but practically all of its gone. Least I killed off the Xenia, that stuff was pissin me off :lol:

Very nice of you to offer the Roscoe's, if your LFS still has some in a couple months I might take you up on that. Need to get it stable again and setup a couple more things and it'll be good to go.

Just a couple of corals are left, I took all the dead ones out. Fish are doing great, except the blenny has been bashing its head on the hermits, seems more pissed off lately and not sure why.

I have brown algae growing on the rocks so the CUC is having a nice time. I guess its going through a cycle but the test haven't showed anything, been doing 5g water changes every other day so that helps.

CarterNichols
Just a couple of corals are left, I took all the dead ones out. Fish are doing great, except the blenny has been bashing its head on the hermits, seems more pissed off lately and not sure why.

I have brown algae growing on the rocks so the CUC is having a nice time. I guess its going through a cycle but the test haven't showed anything, been doing 5g water changes every other day so that helps.

hmm well hopefully everything works out.

Atlantis Reef

DUDE found your tank thread and then found you are having problems ARG you have my number call me I will try and help!!! Hate to see anyone having problems!!! DItto on sump you kind hide everything down there and tank is SOOOOOOOOOOO clean looking

Thanks all. It's a lot cleaner and water changes are easier, I don't have to lift the buckets up over 4' anymore or worry how fast I pour it in. All I have in the tank equipment wise is the overflow and Vortech and since I went thru the wall with the plumbing and put the sump in the room behind it I have all the room back in the stand :happy:

What do you think I should do with all the snail eggs? Since the algae bloom the ceriths have laid five patches in the last few nights. I don't want to be overrun with snails that are going to die later on when the algae isn't so abundant. I was going to put them in the fuge and try raising them and later give them away but I've heard not to put burrowers in there because I shouldn't stir the DSB.

Thanks all. It's a lot cleaner and water changes are easier, I don't have to lift the buckets up over 4' anymore or worry how fast I pour it in. All I have in the tank equipment wise is the overflow and Vortech and since I went thru the wall with the plumbing and put the sump in the room behind it I have all the room back in the stand :happy:

What do you think I should do with all the snail eggs? Since the algae bloom the ceriths have laid five patches in the last few nights. I don't want to be overrun with snails that are going to die later on when the algae isn't so abundant. I was going to put them in the fuge and try raising them and later give them away but I've heard not to put burrowers in there because I shouldn't stir the DSB.

i dont think they would really cause to much of a problem with the DSB but you really dont want any of them messing up your return pump if they get sucked up or anything.

Reef Crest cranked all the way up.

I found out what caused all the mess, Silicone II. It says 100% silicone right on the tube but somehow they think it's okay if they put some kind of mildew repellent crap in it and still call it 100% :angry:

I took the old out and replaced it with the good stuff that's actually 100% silicone so all should be good now.

I redid the sump and cranked it up last night and so far everything looks good. The algae is nearly gone from the 50% w/c and I still have one hard coral, the Pavona Cactus that I got last year at a swap. The GSP, Trumpet coral, and zoas look like they'll make it to :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think this sump was meant to be. Today I walked passed it and noticed two cracks going from the bottom of the tank to the top with water seeping out. I have a Rubbermaid container in its place and I'll probably keep it and figure out a way to put baffles in it to keep the bubbles at bay.

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to put the 20L to use as a sump and I'm waiting for the Silicone to dry. It's going to have a piece of rigid foam underneath it and I cut the baffles to keep it from having pressure points.

I'm slowly getting ORA frags to replace the ones that perished. So far I have the Scripps, Joe the Coral, and Pearlberry.

Oh and I got a Yellow Watchman Goby that wasn't paired with a shrimp, a week later I brought home a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and they immediately paired up. Quite the sight watching them build and maintain the burrows.

• 5 months later...

It's been awhile since I updated but not that long, guess the last ones were lost in the crash.

I went to a frag swap this past weekend and found a CPR overflow and it's pushing 700gph through the sump instead of the old 300gph so the skimmer should start taking out more gunk. I'm going to the hardware store today and getting some super glue and fixing the skimmer so it dumps the output into the fuge instead of back to where it pulls it from.

My pH has been low, never above eight, for quite some time. I'm thinking I might have to open the rock-scape some so tell me what you think. Should I bust them up? There's only 10 rocks in there and they're big so would breaking them up help with flow?

Picture053.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Needreefunds

I dunno Sky, scape looks pretty good to me, with caves and holes and a flow-through sort of look.

Smash-em up too much and what do you have to work with?

Smaller pieces that, without epoxy etc, tend to lead to a lower- pile-o-rocks scape ya know?

Refresh me here, what do you have for flow?

And I agree, it hasn't been that long since you updated. Lost in e-space I guess :P

Is that a Pearlberry, mid RTN, on the bottom of that last shot? :(

edit: nvmnd- looks like mebe your Pearl is upper left?

Anyway, always sad to see one RTN init?

I didn't break them up but I did change it around some I'll post some pictures later when the lights come back on.

For flow I have a MP40 and about 600gph coming from the return but it's still collecting detritus on the bottom part of the rocks. Maybe I just need some more ceriths?

If you're talking about the frag on the sand bed to the left that's a Atlantis Bonsai I just got at a frag swap along with the Spogodes to the left of it. When I got back they started losing color and I checked the calcium and it was close to 600 for some reason, I don't dose....at all :huh: Fixed it with some water changes and it's back to 450 and they're looking better, guess the shock killed off some tissue but they'll bounce back.

Archived