ReefCleaners.org

Tunze 9002 vs. Remora

jetfixr

Probably because thats how it works?!?.......Its no louder than a venturi skimmer.

They are both great skimmers, but the bottom line is the remora will out preform the tunze. In the performance class the remora is in, I havent seen any other skimmers that work as well as the remora that are any quieter.

Secondly, if the skimmer is three weeks old, or if you are only cleaning it once every three weeks, you are a moron for expecting to work right. You should clean it daily, and it needs time to break in like every other protein skimmer.....I would hope you know that since it sounds like you are doing professional tank maintenance. Clearly stated in the manual as well.

What about the ten gallon? How old is that skimmer?

I clean my injector once every 6 months and I have flawless performance. The only thing you have to water for on the remora is that algae growth on the outflow will cause the water level inside the skimmer to rise and the injector wont work. Not a big deal if you dont have algae though.

I also have the tank in my living room. It has never once been an annoyance to myself or any guests. People who expect tanks to be quiet are inexperienced reefers. high performance reef tanks are loud, all of them.

Im just gonna post this pic again, this is two days worth of skimmate.

DSC01817.JPG

And this pic......The remora and a couple powerheads run this tank. Nothing else filtration wise.

DSC018771.JPG

I rest my case! B)

As I told you before....you are a rarity in this hobby.

If every hobbyist had you understanding and would actually read manuals, we could actually focus on producing good products instead of answering " deja vu" user questions all day long.

Unfortunately the LFS usually does not much about the product either so we get to fill in for them too. Oh well we try our best. ;)

SDT is correct. In this class, you will probably get better overall performance from the Remora with a MJ 1200. It is a lot louder though. If money is not an issue, then check out Deltec as well.

I have a tunze 9002 for my 30g and it works well. It pulls out between 50 and 100 ml of skimmate per week. (I do not have a huge bioload) It is silent.

If I have one complaint it is that the water level needs to be exact for optimal performance.

burtbollinger

thanks for the info.....i guess ive not had s problem cause thre finnex 30m's 1st chamber is at a constant level (and was designed for skimmer palcement)....sweet!

as far as noise, the aqau c was so loud it was annoying, until i did the silencer mod on it, built the baffle from a credit card and airline tubing....the thing is now so silent you cant even tell its on

I had the remora, worked well, it was loud IMO. Granted, I didn't do any mods to silence, but when I had my 12 and 40 going at the same time, I could hear the remora skimmer over my 40 with overflow box, ASM G1x skimmer, etc. It's not only actual noise itself, but it's the frequency/pitch too.

I had the tank with the remora in living room and I got used to it, but I would describe it as distracting, don't know about the tunze.

burtbollinger

yes the noise was distracting, but the silencer mod was so easy to do and so effective, I swear I have to lift the lid of the thing to see if its really working. I'm not a DIY guy either, so getting a mod to work and be so effective WAS VERY REWARDING.

Archived