Top Shelf Aquatics

Tunze 9002 vs. Remora

jetfixr

I have narrowed it down to these 2 skimmers. Not sure how long the Euro-reef nano skimmer will take to make it to the market, so unfortunately I can't consider it. I have heard conflicting stories that the Remora will outskim the 9002. I have also heard that the Remora is much louder the the 9002. The tank sits in my living room next to the couch where we sit to watch TV, so noise is a definate factor in the decision. Anyone have any input on either of these 2 skimmers? And for the "water change" police, I would still like to run a skimmer..... period.

I have narrowed it down to these 2 skimmers. Not sure how long the Euro-reef nano skimmer will take to make it to the market, so unfortunately I can't consider it. I have heard conflicting stories that the Remora will outskim the 9002. I have also heard that the Remora is much louder the the 9002. The tank sits in my living room next to the couch where we sit to watch TV, so noise is a definate factor in the decision. Anyone have any input on either of these 2 skimmers? And for the "water change" police, I would still like to run a skimmer..... period.

I can't compare those two, but I'm currently breaking in a new Tunze 9002 and it is sooo much quieter than the POS that came with my RSM.

I put a Tunze 9002 in my 20g a few days ago and love it. It makes less noise the the fan on my light fixture.

have the same. can't hear it and i didn't think it was working for a while... hehe

also Support is great on the product. RC has a Tunze forum so questions are answerd quick.

I was trying to decide between a Tunze and an AquaC skimmer for my 30g. The overwhelming majority said to go with the Tunze skimmers. The AquaC skimmers can be good, a lot of the time you have to tweak it a lot (try different pumps, etc...). Usually when you see a popular product with few, if any modifications done to it - it means its a great product out of the box.

I came across a lot of people saying they had micro bubble problems with the Remora, didn't want to deal with that. Also didn't want a big maxi-jet showing in the tank and the overflow box accessory was another $30 or so (to hide the pump).

WindCloudWRX

The tunze is amazing from what people have said, as well as their overall brand rep. However, I think the tunze skimmer is a little weak depending on your tank.

I'm a big fan of crazy skimming though.

I have the Remora with a mj 1200 and the over flow box, I do nothing to it besides clean the cup every other day. If you need any proof to how well it works and what it is capable of, I will let my tank speak for itself, you should check it out. It runs the tank, with only 3 power heads other than the skimmer.

This is two days worth of skimmate. I would like to see a tunze 9002 do that.

DSC01817.JPG

I have no micro bubble problems, I only had bubbles for the first couple weeks while the skimmer broke in.......JUST LIKE THE MANUAL SAYS!...Do people read anymore?

I also have it in my living room, it isnt that loud and doesnt bother anyone. But you have to face the facts, a reef tank really isnt a quiet type of tank, no matter what type of skimmer you buy, it will make some noise.

No tweaks with the remora. Just adjust the height of the cup and skim away!

+1 seedemtails...mine as well is in my LR. U get use to the sound. I can't here my chiller anymore!

I just picked up a remora used and there have been minimal micro bubbles during break in, and I fixed that with some floss infront of the outflow from the skimmer.

It is pulling out some of the nastiest skimmate I have ever seen, and its big enough to hide my heater in (So when I put one thing into the tank I took another out of the display)

My one complaint is that it is a little noisy right now, but I dont have the O-ring that keeps the cup up, so I have been using zip-ties.

I would definitely suggest the remora for ease of use, effectiveness and price(especially when you can find it used, I got mine in great condition for $65)

I have owned both skimmers and they both are good and get my vote. Basically it comes down to the situation you are in.

The 9002 is an insump skimmer, where the remora nano is a hang on. The Remora is louder, but as SDT said, reef tanks are not exactly quiet. But the Tunze you can barely hear. As for the microbubbles, if you have the remora dump directly into the tank, you will have bubbles, if it goes into a sump area, then they will be more disipated. There is a fiberglass solution for the remora to deal with them. The Tunze seems to have less problems with bubbles.

Skimming is all dependent on bioload and tank situations, but they seem very similar. The Tunze is more wet, tea like, where the remora is thicker, but they all collect very well. The Tuze has a smaller footprint and they both are pretty much plug and play, no adjustments needed after you tune them in.

If you are having noise problems with the Remora, there is one tip that i've heard from many people at Reef Central. Take a piece of paper towel and fold it up so that it fits underneath the collection cup but over where the injector is. I tried it myself and I can't even hear it anymore and my tank is about 20 feet from my living room couch. Just replace the paper towel every couple of weeks and you'll be fine. P.S i second that it is a great skimmer for the money. Mine just needs to be cleaned.

I run both at the same time in the tunze takes out a much thinner skimate and works slower than the Aqua C which is a lot thicker and fast to skim. I would say go with the tunze its queiter and smaller and removes more skimmate eventhough its wetter it takes out a lot more

006.jpg

9002 has been great addition to my RSM (thanks StevieT)...I've had absolutely zero probs with it and have been running it for 6-8 months or so...maybe more...biggest prob for me is water level, but ATO fixed that mostly and I'd think the remora would have that issue too...stevieT answered your question best though...really depends on the application probably...

I service two aquariums with remoras on them, both with MJ1200s. One 75 gallon and one 30 gallon. The 75 gallon (with about 20 fish), after 3 weeks has about half a cup of light tea coloured water, no matter how high or low it is positioned or how the pump is cleaned. The 30 gallon (with 10 fish) is about the same. It takes out 2 or 3 tablespoons of yellowed water every week.

The noise sounds like...well a jet of high pressure water hitting other water. It's not quiet, but it's not obtrusively loud. I would never have it in a bedroom though. Maybe the mods work well for it.

Oh and don't flame me for the bioload...I didn't add any fish to these systems.

Ive had the Tunze 9002 for about 6 months and love it Ive never used the other one but like the others said it does its job and its super quiet.

you should clean the foam fractionator it will increase its preformance

I have taken the skimmers apart numerous times to clean it all out. Still the same performance everytime.

I thought about it today, and I would liken the sound from the remora to static on the television.

The noise sounds like...well a jet of high pressure water hitting other water.

Probably because thats how it works?!?.......Its no louder than a venturi skimmer.

They are both great skimmers, but the bottom line is the remora will out preform the tunze. In the performance class the remora is in, I havent seen any other skimmers that work as well as the remora that are any quieter.

Secondly, if the skimmer is three weeks old, or if you are only cleaning it once every three weeks, you are a moron for expecting to work right. You should clean it daily, and it needs time to break in like every other protein skimmer.....I would hope you know that since it sounds like you are doing professional tank maintenance. Clearly stated in the manual as well.

What about the ten gallon? How old is that skimmer?

I clean my injector once every 6 months and I have flawless performance. The only thing you have to water for on the remora is that algae growth on the outflow will cause the water level inside the skimmer to rise and the injector wont work. Not a big deal if you dont have algae though.

I also have the tank in my living room. It has never once been an annoyance to myself or any guests. People who expect tanks to be quiet are inexperienced reefers. high performance reef tanks are loud, all of them.

Im just gonna post this pic again, this is two days worth of skimmate.

DSC01817.JPG

And this pic......The remora and a couple powerheads run this tank. Nothing else filtration wise.

DSC018771.JPG

I rest my case! B)

burtbollinger

several posts [back it was mentioned that water level is a factor for the tunze. I dont know if this is accurate or not, but I do know that water level is NOT a factor with the aqua c remora.....in my experience anyway....it just pumps water up in and out.

several posts [back it was mentioned that water level is a factor for the tunze. I dont know if this is accurate or not, but I do know that water level is NOT a factor with the aqua c remora.....in my experience anyway....it just pumps water up in and out.

Unless the water level in the tank drops which lowers the pressure on the pump which in turn can affect the amount of foam produced in the skimmer body which is outside the tank. Then you just adjust the cup height to compensate.

In the case of the Tunze, the pump and the skimmer body are both submerged in the tank and now any water level change will greatly affect the foam level and since the cup height is not adjustable...you will need a top off unit.

That is why any decent tank or sump should have a section dedicated for a skimmer where the water level is always constant.....hobbyists should demand this design or not buy the tank/sump! Imagine the joy of having a skimmer that will always function as intended.

Archived