Cultivated Reef

Chrissy's 72 gallon bow

Chrissy

Thank you, Seahorse!

Update on everything...

I started the Bulk Reef Supply 2 part kit plus Magnesium, and the tank seems to be loving it...colors are much better. I also got a couple of samples of Coral Frenzy that I have been trying.

I changed the T5s again. This time I have 2 actinic 460s, 1 actinic 03, and 1 Aquablue.

Wilbur (new Tang) is doing great. He's always within 3 inches of my hand when it's in the tank, and will eat from my fingers :D

I added a few new things, too. A red/orange Lobo, and two good sized Croceas. The Croceas were a little stressed with some bleached spots in the middle and the larger one was gaping, but I'm pretty sure they will be fine.

I did a full cleaning of the sump yesterday, and added a 1/2 hp chiller...that thing is so wonderful compared to my ice cups! LOL

fts52909.jpg

chillerpic.jpg

post-35886-1243700357_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1243700376_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

Looking real good! What T 5 fixture is that?

It's an Outer Orbit Pro with 2 250w 10ks (Current stock) and 4 54w T5s (1 Giesemann aquablue, 2 460 actinics, 1 actinic 03)

seahorsejl

Like the new clams!

I am interested in hearing what you think about the Coral Frenzy. I just recently started using it, and am a bit unsure. I was using Reef Roids previously, and loved them... I saw my gorgonians and sun coral snatch roids from the water. But the with Frenzy, it just seems to cloud the tank (I used the recommended dosage, might cut back for next feeding).

Like the new clams!

I am interested in hearing what you think about the Coral Frenzy. I just recently started using it, and am a bit unsure. I was using Reef Roids previously, and loved them... I saw my gorgonians and sun coral snatch roids from the water. But the with Frenzy, it just seems to cloud the tank (I used the recommended dosage, might cut back for next feeding).

I'm not sure on the Frenzy yet. I have only fed 3 times now. I did notice that when I was feeding it in a turkey baster to the corals today, my purple Pocci looks like it turned brown in the spots that I squirted. I won't do that again! Everything else still looks the same.

Wow either you have the most amazing lighting or a great photo editting program, the tank looks great.

:lol: Stock Outer Orbit lighting and I don't know how to use the photo editting program....I just clean my tank a lot! The clean black back makes everything look nice.

Update...

I figured out what is happening to my beautiful zoanthids.... :angry: I came home from volunteering at my kids' school tonight and caught my bastard Hippo Tang chomping on my AOGs like they were an algae strip! I HATE that fish and I can't get it out!

I figured out what is happening to my beautiful zoanthids.... :angry: I came home from volunteering at my kids' school tonight and caught my bastard Hippo Tang chomping on my AOGs like they were an algae strip! I HATE that fish and I can't get it out!

You can never catch fish when you want to, eh?

Try cutting the top off of a clear 2L pop bottle, submerge it with a food pellet in it. If the tang enters it, right it and pull it straight up out of the tank.

Your mileage may vary but I've had surprising success with this method...

Osric

seahorsejl
I'm not sure on the Frenzy yet. I have only fed 3 times now. I did notice that when I was feeding it in a turkey baster to the corals today, my purple Pocci looks like it turned brown in the spots that I squirted. I won't do that again! Everything else still looks the same.

Is it possible the brown is not the Frenzy itself that the coral is eating?

• 2 weeks later...
Yipes! Just replied in the other thread. I definitely see what you mean, that does not look right :huh:

I got some feedback from some local reefers about the Frenzy. SPS don't need to be target fed, they'll grab what they need, so blasting all of those nutrients at it was what turned it brown. I have used it again since, but just mixed with tank water and then poured in and everything is fine...the Pocci is back to normal coloring :D

The clams are all doing much better and look beautiful. I'd love to have a shallow waterfall type tank with a bunch of clams some day.

As for the rest of the tank, I decided to take out (and actually caught without destroying the tank) BOTH Tangs. They are currently in my 20 gallon waiting to go to the LFS this weekend.

So my current fish list is:

2 Clowns

2 PJ Cardinals

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Talbot's Damsel

1 Royal Gramma

I bought a few new zoas, but the Japanese deepwaters didn't make it...they've all melted away and I'm waiting for the guy to ship me some more. I also got some beautiful Mohawks, and a new frag of green/purple rim cap which arrived nice and healthy.

During my last cleaning and water change, I almost lost one of my pieces of live rock through the front glass, so I moved it farther back. It looks a little odd right now, because my catspaw is tilted backwards. (I think that's what that one is...looks like a little tree on the right side of the tank) But, there is a little more room for new frags. I also moved some corals around again...LOL I put my monti cap experiment frag on top of my big red cap on the left side to see what happens :D

I also changed over from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals so we'll see how that works out.

I'll try and get some pics tonight...

I got some feedback from some local reefers about the Frenzy. SPS don't need to be target fed, they'll grab what they need, so blasting all of those nutrients at it was what turned it brown. I have used it again since, but just mixed with tank water and then poured in and everything is fine...the Pocci is back to normal coloring :D

Hmm.. that is good to know. I might try using it some more. I have been using some Brightwell liquid food recently which my gorgonians seem to like.

I bought a few new zoas, but the Japanese deepwaters didn't make it...they've all melted away and I'm waiting for the guy to ship me some more. I also got some beautiful Mohawks, and a new frag of green/purple rim cap which arrived nice and healthy.

I have been hearing this a lot from people on our local club. The African Blue's seem to also be a main one that just melt away. Though there is one person who seems to be having luck. They said they are keeping them in somewhat indirect light.

I have been hearing this a lot from people on our local club. The African Blue's seem to also be a main one that just melt away. Though there is one person who seems to be having luck. They said they are keeping them in somewhat indirect light.

They arrived looking white/clearish and were pretty warm. I turned my chiller down a little so the tank was at 78 and put them on a frag rack in the shade, but they never opened and all melted. Pretty much everyone that bought from the same guy had them melt away :( He's supposed to send again on Monday, so hopefully these ones make it.

Very nice!

Thank ya :D

Here are some new pics

post-35886-1245372449_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1245372473_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1245372484_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1245372504_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1245372516_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

Your pictures remind me that I now want a clam for my tank :)

I love clams...they are definately my favorites! I really want to add a couple more...a blue Maxima, and a Squamosa. I'm running out of room, though! LOL

Archived