Cultivated Reef

HOB refugium from MarineDepot

iglowce

I had an Aquafuge 2 sm on my AP24. It was ok but if the pump was turned off, the water in the fuge would back fill into the tank. I didnt like the though of 2 gallons of water going into my tank if the power went out or the pump failed. I returned it and got a Aquaclear 70 and modded it.

It's not hard - the pump pulls water from the display, it flows through the fuge, then gravity feeds it back to the display. The harder the pump works, the more water is being cycled through. If the pump stops, the water flow stops. There's no physical way for a HOB fuge to overflow.

It will not overflow your tank. End of story. Personally, I think the commercial ones are overpriced. It's really just a small acrylic box. You can find some decent ones on Ebay for pretty cheap.

fail. I will provide an overflow pictoral tomorrow, and maybe a short video it is VERY possible. if I can't get it to happen I will gladly say I was wrong and take my lashings

in short. if you have a tank filled to the very edge with water (or as I will use a bucket) and have a hob running [with the tank/bucket water level to the edge] and remove the power to the hob, water in the hob will drain back into the display to a point of equalization. if the tank is filled to the edge already, where is this water that leaving the hob gonna go? thats right, outa the tank/bucket.

if you have a hob filter/fuge unplug the pump.... the water level goes down in it right? that water goes back into the tank. therefore possible overflow.

now in terms of the other HOB fuges ( like the cpr's). the water level in the hob's is always above that in the tank (look at one in action). if the tank is full to the rim and the power to hob is cut, the water pressurewill equalize between the two and the tank would overflow.

if you don't follow I will try to get video tomorrow if I have nothing better to do

in short. if you have a tank filled to the very edge with water (or as I will use a bucket) and have a hob running [with the tank/bucket water level to the edge] and remove the power to the hob, water in the hob will drain back into the display to a point of equalization. if the tank is filled to the edge already, where is this water that leaving the hob gonna go? thats right, outa the tank/bucket.

if you have a hob unplug it.... the water level goes down right? that water goes back into the tank. therefore overflow.

now in terms of the other HOB fuges ( like the cpr's). the water level in the hob's is always above that in the tank (look at one in action). if the tank is full to the rim and the power to hob is cut, the water pressurewill equalize between the two and the tank would overflow.

if you don't follow I will try to get video tomorrow if I have nothing better to do

We follow - your reasoning is solid and correct. It's just who actually fills their tank to the brim? If it's filled too much you get spillage when you put your hands in the tank...

Also, the water from the HOB is gravity fed so I don't understand what you mean by the pressure equalizing. If the pump turns off it will only drain until the water in the HOB is below the outlet.

wrong.

if you have a HOB filter try it right now my ac110 hob fuge drains about 75% of the water out durring a power failure. I keep the water level 3/4" from the tank edge. when power goes out I almost have overflow each time.

some of the 'more expensive' ones have internal baffles which prevent this from occuring as drastically, but it happens in them all to a degree

besides the original question was 'is it possible to make HOB fuge overflow tank', and in worse case scenario, I already showed it is.

If the pump turns off it will only drain until the water in the HOB is below the outlet.

well i decided to buy an in-tank fuge from cpr because i have the aquac remora skimmer and metal halide as HOB already. so therefore no more space in the back. until i upgrade my WHOLE lighting system then i start to think about this again. but i love how u guys discuss back and forth. it makes NR more alive tonight :)

well now this is just a THREAD fail, as you asked about a hob fuge, and you buy an hit (hang in tank) fuge.

coulda bought this for $0.99 and put chaeto in it

DSC_2284b_LRG.jpg

well i decided to buy an in-tank fuge from cpr because i have the aquac remora skimmer and metal halide as HOB already. so therefore no more space in the back. until i upgrade my WHOLE lighting system then i start to think about this again. but i love how u guys discuss back and forth. it makes NR more alive tonight :)
wrong.

if you have a HOB filter try it right now my ac110 hob fuge drains about 75% of the water out durring a power failure. I keep the water level 3/4" from the tank edge. when power goes out I almost have overflow each time.

some of the 'more expensive' ones have internal baffles which prevent this from occuring as drastically, but it happens in them all to a degree

besides the original question was 'is it possible to make HOB fuge overflow tank', and in worse case scenario, I already showed it is.

Oh, it seems I did not clarify. I was referring to models such the aquafuge, which have baffles. I have never heard of nor witnessed any issue with them causing tank overflows. I have no experience with the converted fuges, so you've got me there!

r20crazy summed it up nicely. The Aquafuge 2 holds 2.5 gallons of water. Every time I turned the pump off, the water flowed back out the intake into the tank until it was equalized. Approximately 60% of the water from the Aquafuge went back into the tank. Maybe the tank would not have overflowed but it was a possible problem that I did not want to deal with.

Iglowce - See my tank thread for how I modded the Aquaclear. You just have to glue a couple of the plates and you have an instant fuge. Pretty cheap too.

things to watch on the copy cats are they thinner plastics are used, and usually a fair amount smaller.

small CPR AF2 PS Dimensions: 19 1/4" L x 4" W x 15" T

small Aquatraders Unit Size: 14"L x 4"W x 13.5"H

Archived