SaltCritters.com

Help with anenomes!

Mynameskenny19

Mynameskenny19

Hey all, we have a 75 that been set up for about 3 months as a cold water biotope and me and my dad want to get some anenomes. How do we get them off the rocks from the bay without killing them???

I know lots of people here "coral fraggers" so im wondering if you guys know how to get them off the rock safely. Any help would be appreciated by us and the anenomes. Thank you!

Mynameskenny19
Maybe you can find some on smaller rocks and just take the rock

Nope, we've been to 4 different places and searched the shore a mile in each direction and couldnt find any on small rocks. All of them are on rocks that are bigger than the tank. We have found a place where the rock is very smooth and flat and we were wondering if we can slide a razor blade underneath them to get em off.

Is that possible?

Mynameskenny19
Which bay? It may be illegal.

Moved to Biotopes, btw.

Humboldt Bay, California. It's legal, we checked with the university HSU [Humboldt State] before we started.

And how do i move the topic of to Biotopes? I posted here cuz its about the anenomes.

I moved it, no worries. All us coldwater wierdos tend to post in here, it'll work better for you.

A razor blade isn't necessary - use a credit card or library card or something similar and just start slowly working it under the foot. It takes some patience, but it's safest for the animal. Razor blades will just slice through the anemone before the foot is released.

Mynameskenny19
I moved it, no worries. All us coldwater wierdos tend to post in here, it'll work better for you.

A razor blade isn't necessary - use a credit card or library card or something similar and just start slowly working it under the foot. It takes some patience, but it's safest for the animal. Razor blades will just slice through the anemone before the foot is released.

Hey thanks for the info man! And thanks for moving over to biotopes. Also, us coldwater guys ain't weird, we're just a tad bit on the cooler side than the others :P

I'll post a few pics tomorrow of our setup since i have no idea where our camera is.

In our 75, we have:

-2 small black rockfish

-1 small blue rockfish

-7 baby walleye perch [silver dollars]

-3 adult walleye perch

-1 stag horn sculpin aka the "devil fish"

-1 bullhead

-around a 100 very very small snails

-1 small moon snail

-3 small red starfish [not sure what species]

-8 hermits

-2 small red rock crabs

-1 unidentified crab

and lots of other stuff ill show tomorrow.

Hey awesome! It's good to have another coldwater tank around here. Go ahead and make a new thread for your tank when you get a chance, either in Biotopes or Members. Most people with coldwater tanks focus on the inverts, but you seem to be heavy on fish. Can't wait for the pics!

Mynameskenny19
Hey awesome! It's good to have another coldwater tank around here. Go ahead and make a new thread for your tank when you get a chance, either in Biotopes or Members. Most people with coldwater tanks focus on the inverts, but you seem to be heavy on fish. Can't wait for the pics!

Yeah, I havent really posted any threads on any of our coldwater tanks even though ive been a member for about a year and a half and have had our tanks from 3 months to a year. I'll post about our 75 tomoorow though and my 20-long maybe in a month or so when im done setting it up the way i want. And yes, you guessed it! We are the fishy types. Not many inverts, lots of fish, plants in the middle. Also, to let you know, ill post in the biotope section. Anyhoo, last but not least, im tired and goin to bed.

Archived