Cultivated Reef

Wal Mart Water?

w1dude

masterbuilder

There is some confusion when people say "Wal-Mart water"...

There are TWO Wal-Mart waters :

1) Wal-Mart pre-bottled distilled in gallon jugs - 65-75 cents per gallon. This stuff is good and I have never read of anyone using it having any problems. I have used it exclusively for way over two years without any problems. No algae (my CUC has starved) and no phosphates I can detect.

2) Wal-Mart RO, RO/DI or distilled that comes from the MACHINES for 30-40 cents per gallon. This stuff is risky and many people have had problems. I wouldn’t use it.

Mark

p.s. Distilled water has NO chlorine. It cant.

I would not us bottled drinking water, that has been discussed here many times. Do a search and you can make your own decision on that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry distilled water is first sent through a cold sterile filter then heated to the boiling point so that impurities are separated from the water, which becomes vapor or steam. Steam is then cooled and condensed back into pure liquid form. The impurities remain as residue in the steam kettle

sorry distilled water is frist sent through a cold sterile filter then heated to the boiling point so that impurities are separated from the water, which becomes vapor or steam. Steam is then cooled and condensed back into pure liquid form. The impurities remain as residue in the steam kettle

thats not how it works

Arrowhead,MOUNTAINSPRING water is NOT distilled water.Here is their mineral/metal content:

Inorganic Minerals and Metals MRL MCL Level Found

Calcium 0.10 NR ND-52

Sodium 0.20 NR 2.6-16

Potassium 0.10 NR 0.69-3.6

Fluoride 0.100 2.0 (1.4-2.4) ND-1.4

Magnesium 0.10 NR 1.3-19

Bicarbonate 1.0 NR 17-190

Nitrate 0.010 10.00 0.055-0.71

Chloride 0.10 250 0.79-5.3

Copper 0.050 1.0 ND

pH (units) NA NR 6.33-8.2

Sulfate 0.10 250 0.71-26

Arsenic 0.0014 0.010 ND

Lead 0.005 0.005 ND

Total Dissolved Solids 1.0 NR 28-250

masterbuilder

Come on bamackc....

anyone that can can put up and average of 10 posts per day, surely has the the time to explain how the distillation process works.

Ah no its not

Care to elaborate?

Short/uninformative answers like this really don't help those trying to gain knowledge from those that are more knowledgable.

the answer is about 10 post above. my intent wasnt to be a jerk but a little misformation can spread very fast. The gist is water is boiled and the vapor sent through condensor tubes were it reconstitutes in to pure water and 99% of the the inpurities are left in the steam drum

the answer is about 10 post above. my intent wasnt to be a jerk but a little misformation can spread very fast. The gist is water is boiled and the vapor sent through condensor tubes were it reconstitutes in to pure water and 99% of the the inpurities are left in the steam drum

thats how they make booze

not water

duh

This is a serious question,I'm not being a smartass.So,then why don't reefers just boil their own tap water(especially for nanos) and let the steam(with the impurities)- blow out the exaust fan or evaporate into the air?

This is a serios question,I'm not being a smartass.So,then why don't reefers just boil their own tap water(especially for nanos) and let the steam(with the impurities- blow out the exaust fan or evaporate into the air?

look it up

its not a big secret (its magic)

you could but it is labor intensive they do make home version of water distillers but you can only make a gallon or two at a time and its cheaper just to pay $.75 than waiting hours to produce the same amount of water

This is a serious question,I'm not being a smartass.So,then why don't reefers just boil their own tap water(especially for nanos) and let the steam(with the impurities)- blow out the exaust fan or evaporate into the air?

The steam does not contain the impurities, the steam is what is condensed back into water.

you could but it is labor intensive they do make home version of water distillers but you can only make a gallon or two at a time and its cheaper just to pay $.75 than waiting hours to produce the same amount of water

but u could also use it to run illegal buisness

and if u get caught u can always say u use it for ur saltwater tank

quit being an ass..go back to the lounge.

easy big guy

do u need a hug?

no one is being an ass

im just saying u could google "disstilled water" and im sure there will be diagrams and videos to help explain it to u

jeepers

masterbuilder

Katara,

99% of the users here that have successful tanks use RO/DI water or bottled distilled. I would say that most here have their own RO/DI unit. Those that don’t, like me, either buy RO/DI from their LFS or use bottled distilled. Some use bottled drinking water like you do and are doing ok, but many others have had problems. The ingredients you list in the water you use are the main culprit...lots of solids/minerals/metals. They build up over time and can cause you many many troubles. I would quit using it, myself.

Now distilled water is in theory 100% H20 without any thing else. It is what is used in labs and the medical field when PURE water is required. Of course in the real world, things are not done with 100% efficiency and most store bought distilled will have some impurities, but VERY LITTLE. It is made the way scottyreef described.

Some say RO/DI water is better than distilled, some say worse. It doesn’t really matter for our use, both are very good sources of pure water. IMO, the main advantage of RO/DI over distilled is cost. When I did the math, using the cost of a mid range RO unit and including filter/chemical replacement, the point at which it was less expensive to have your own machine was when you need more than 3 gallons per week. Of course there is the convenience factor too.

Of course you can buy RO/DI water just as you can distilled water (about the same price). I don’t like buying RO water because it is so dependant on the filter quality and frequency of change….who knows when that was done last.

My two cents…. If you buy water…get distilled.

EDIT: Just put bamackc on ignore, I already have. Just another disruptive, no class idiot, he/she will be gone soon...they always are.

Archived