inTank Media Baskets

Wal Mart Water?

w1dude

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO, DON'T USE IT!!!!!

Many people have had problems after using that water, most likely because Wal-Mart isn't good about changing the membranes and filters as often as they should.

If you want to get water from Wal-Mart, get the Wal-Mart brand distilled water.

I used it for quite a while myself before I was able to finally get an RO filter.

NO, DON'T USE IT!!!!!

Many people have had problems after using that water, most likely because Wal-Mart isn't good about changing the membranes and filters as often as they should.

If you want to get water from Wal-Mart, get the Wal-Mart brand distilled water.

I used it for quite a while myself before I was able to finally get an RO filter.

so the distilled water is ok?

i know walmart sells one gallon drinking water jugs that are ro filtered and they test any were between 0-5 tds and there about $.60 per gallon and i have used them quite a bit. ther are store brand and they have a green top and label

I started my tanks with the green label one and also use the distilled purple label> Never had any problems at all tanks is over a year old.

JourneyReef

I'll be checking my local walmart after this!

RO/DI is best but generally requires a home filter or purchase of water from LFS. If you are going RO and you can get it that cheap, I'd say go for it.

Just be sure it really is because sometimes they sell "spring" water that really isn't the stuff we need for tanks.

what is the difference between RO and Distilled water?

The filtration process used to filter the water. Distilled water is boiled and the pure water evaporation is collected. RO water is pushed through a membrane to remove impurities. For our purposes though either is fine to use, but most reefers use RO because it is cheaper to run than distilled

masterbuilder

NO..DO NOT USE IT. When do you think Joe Beercan changed the filters or checked the TDS?

However...I have use their distilled water thats in the jugs from day one with wonderful results.

moneyman6891

I used publix's water from the machine and got red slime and lots of algae. I bought a mighty mite RO unit and love it.

DON'T USE CULLIGAN (WALMART) WATER. I used it when I started my tank, and had no problems for 6 months and then out of no where green hair algae and cyano outbreaks that ran rampant. After trying to figure out what was going on and changing my water twice a week for a month with things getting worse the whole time I decided to try to use distilled water instead and with in a couple of weeks my tank made a huge turn around. The Culligan people aren't reliable enough in their maintenance practices apparently. Anyway distilled is the only way to go in my opinion.

Just get a good RODI unit off ebay for like $80 from one of the companies such as Aqua-Safe. Mine's been awesome so far, and I don't have to run to the store all the time. Just hook it up to the faucet and go.

DESERTHEATRACING

I have used purple cap walmart distilled for over a year. It has been 100% perfect. But recently in my area it went from $0.69 cents a gallon to $0.89 cents a gallon. Now I am looking at a crazy spectrapure setup as our water quality is horrid here in az. So bad I can smell a glass of tap water from 3 feet away.

I have used purple cap walmart distilled for over a year. It has been 100% perfect. But recently in my area it went from $0.69 cents a gallon to $0.89 cents a gallon. Now I am looking at a crazy spectrapure setup as our water quality is horrid here in az. So bad I can smell a glass of tap water from 3 feet away.

Yep.... its gross here, but he have 10 RO machines per square mile in the city heh.

do not use it, i have been using it, and after reading a few posts on here, apparently it is pretty horrible, it was TDS between 10-20 and i think that is what is causing my huge cyano outbreaks, and green hair algae as everything should be in check. I think i will switch to distilled until i can get a filter, i am looking into it..... do you have to add anything to distilled to use it?

marinekeeper

I use the distilled (purple cap) from wal-mart as well. Never once had a problem and been using for 2 years in both my salt tanks. 1 reef and 1 fowlr

I just throw some dechlorinator in it and go

Falcon_Punch

When I switched from RO/DI from my LFS to their distilled water I had a bad hair algea and cyano bloom. (Just because Wal-Mart is closer) Maybe it's just my luck,everyone else is having no problems :huh:

i use the refrigerator filter water and its fine. its a new model so its probably has a good filter.

the only downside is that the later is cold....

its funny how people get worried about the smallest things...

u know theres people out there using plain tap water with great success? (after letting it sit for a day of course)

• 2 weeks later...
I use the distilled (purple cap) from wal-mart as well. Never once had a problem and been using for 2 years in both my salt tanks. 1 reef and 1 fowlr

I just throw some dechlorinator in it and go

I, too, use the purple capped distilled water from Walmart. However, I have not been using dechlorinator in it...is the declorinator necessary? If the water is distilled, would it not be free of chlorine also?

Distilled water is basically just tap water that has(maybe) gone through some extra filtering..you still need to take out the chlorine.

I used to use Glacier water(in front of markets for .25 per gallon) but am now lazy/crazy enough to use my Arrowhead..Mountainspring ONLY as it is untouched and natural.

Distilled water is basically just tap water that has(maybe) gone through some extra filtering..you still need to take out the chlorine.

I used to use Glacier water(in front of markets for .25 per gallon) but am now lazy/crazy enough to use my Arrowhead..Mountainspring ONLY as it is untouched and natural.

Ah no its not

Archived