Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr.Evil Crab in my Tank, I think he wants to eat me

StevieT

Ok, So a coworker was looing over my tank tonight and said something of the like "wtf is that thing?!" I shrugged it off since I stare at this thing all day, thinking it was just something he hasn't seen yet.

I come over to the tank to find a very evil looking crab. Wow, very cool. After 11 months there is still excitment to be found. He must have come in last August when the rock came in, so that is almost a year that I haven't seen this guy. I don't think he came over from my Eclipse, but anything is possible..

My guess is a porcelain crab but confirmation would be nice. As long as he doesn't try to eat small children one day, I think we can enjoy one another. I just fed him some mysis a second ago, we are not friends as I see it.

IMG_4891.jpg

With Flash:

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4895.jpg

From the underwater camera:

IMG_4907.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

masterbuilder

Cant see all his/her claws....but red eyes are always a bad sign. Seeing how its been in there for 1 yr. maybe not so bad.

I found one in my little tank after many months with no harm done....well a few more months go by and I see the bugger having a zoa lunch.... tried to catch it...no luck. Eventually he ate zoas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snacks. Finally caught him. I think when they are tiny, many crabs are harmless but as the grow they get baddddddddd.

Hope yours is a nice guy

yes, it sure does look like that type of crab..... it has been in there for a year, maybe more if it came from my old tank. I haven't seen any damage to anything thus far, I will keep an eye out now. He/she seems to keep in this one spot, moving between two sides for a view of food. It ate mysis.

Very interesting now. I would hate to have to kill him, which would be very difficult since there is no way in hell i am going to remove any rock to get this bugger out.

Man that crab is awesome. If for some reason you want/get him out dont kill him, send him to me!

for sure, but I hope he still works out, he is way too cool looking to remove at this point

I am very sorry to have to tell you this, but I am fairly certain that that is in fact a man-eating crab.

I hear they like to have Sea Monkey's for dessert.

Their only natural predator is Aceteminophors.

Lucky for you I has some Aceteminophors that I could ship to you.

For a price of course. B)

If you ever have trouble with it this is a good DIY project

http://www.instructables.com/id/Skewer-Crossbow/

Endless Hours Of Fun!

haha, zactly what I was thinking of using if it came down to it.

I am very sorry to have to tell you this, but I am fairly certain that that is in fact a man-eating crab.

I hear they like to have Sea Monkey's for dessert.

Their only natural predator is Aceteminophors.

Lucky for you I has some Aceteminophors that I could ship to you.

For a price of course. B)

No, my monkeys just woke up from hypersleep, I shall hide them from mr. man eating crab.

masterbuilder

Hope for the best Stevie. He has made it this long so I might not feed him. Just helping him grow into one of those maneaters.

masterbuilder
It looks like a Xanthid crab, perhaps even Actaeodes tomentosus

Ohhhh...I just read about these guys.... I hope its NOT one of those. :o

He seems to be out more now do they hide as juvinels? I am just shocked after so long I am just seeing it now. I am calling the cops soon on this thing he is surely an evil looking people eater. Maybe my space monkies will take care of it for me, contract killing. Heck I need the northwestern or the wizzard in my office, they can set a pot. Nom nom nom

BKtomodachi
really dude?did you look at the pic?

Jer, how many times do I have to tell you?

SINGLE DIMENSIONS OF CONVERSATION ONLY. unless it the lounge.

hooligan_78

I found this online:

" A saxitoxin (STX)-binding factor has been found in the haemolymph of the xanthid crabs Lophozozymus pictor, Liomeratristis, Chlorodiella nigra and Actaeodes tomentosus. Lophozozymus pictor and A. tomentosus are both xanthids previously known to be toxic,"

I hate to tell you this, but you need to keep your coworker away from your tank. This type of crab likes to hitchhike on people until it finds another suitable display tank with corals. When it's had its fill of pricey frags, it leaps out of the tank and into your heart... literally.

I found this online:

" A saxitoxin (STX)-binding factor has been found in the haemolymph of the xanthid crabs Lophozozymus pictor, Liomeratristis, Chlorodiella nigra and Actaeodes tomentosus. Lophozozymus pictor and A. tomentosus are both xanthids previously known to be toxic,"

so, are you saying if I lick or eat the crab, the walls in my office will start to bleed and little green men will be running around?

OK, new developments.

My mechanic was in here yesterday and was looking at the tank. He said it was chomping down on some corals. So I had him point out what coral he was eating. Turns out it wasn't a coral, but coralline algae. The evil crab was mowing down on some that was growing on a lower rocks bellow my carnation coral.

What is up with that? Any ideas if I should still worry and possibly nutralize this guy?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived