Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Normandy's 34G RSM

Normandy

That could be me. I stuck the light (10 watt halogen) between the stock skimmer and last partition - using the space alloted to the chiller connection. (We don't have a chiller.) The light makes the rear chamber very visible, particularly after dark. :D

I found plastic file folders and cut one to fit. It blocks the light pretty well. The same day I put that in, our yellow Fiji went into a snit and hasn't come out of it yet. I wondered about the plastic (vinyl) but everything else in the tank looks happy. :huh: I might pull it out before I do a water change later today and see if it makes a difference.

The 10 watt bulb seems to have a negligible impact on tank temperature. So far I have not been able to find anyone who has had chaeto do well under LED lighting. Lots talk about trying it...

So, where's the FTS with all of those new corals? ;)

-hank

Yeah, after thinking through that Idea for a fuge in the back, I decided to go with more stability of being able to increase water volume. I'm currently working on a homemade overflow box to go with a 10 gallon fuge in the cabinet. I was actually reading another thread today and saw a link to a company that makes an overflow specifically built for the RSM. It's $110, so I'm gonna try and complete my design. If it doesn't work, I'll buy the one online.

Overflow specifically for RSM

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I should be able to have some new pics this weekend. I've been busy w/ my day job and building my new company. Thank you for your interest.

This is off subject, but this idiot misjudged the clearance of the trunk of my tree over the street. We thought a bomb went off...the house shook, but it was just this moron. Stripped off almost the entire top of his truck...the roof was stuck in my tree. His furniture was destroyed:

IMG_1023.jpg

hahhaha

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've been on due to work killing me, but I've added quite a bit and look forward to posting pics soon.

I have to thank SeeDemTails for reccomending Tropic Marin salt, as I changed to it about 2 weeks ago and I'm seeing great results.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on, but still working away at my RSM. Been about 4 months now and everything is going well. It's just been the last few weeks that I've seemed some substantial growth.

Some New Pics:

FTS(sorry, a little glare)

IMG_1648.jpg

Crocea:

IMG_1649.jpg

Duncan, 5-6 new heads coing out, started 3 days ago. This actually fell off andwas lost under some rocks for about a month. I finally spotted it and it came back almost immediately.:

IMG_1651.jpg

Ricordia:

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Zoas:

IMG_1655.jpg

Acan Lords:

IMG_1657.jpg

Torch Coral:

IMG_1663.jpg

Flame Hawkfish:

IMG_1670.jpg

Lobo w/5 Mouths:

IMG_1669.jpg

Palys, GSP, Mushrooms:

IMG_1672.jpg

Zoas:

IMG_1677.jpg

Been a while since I've been on, but still working away at my RSM. Been about 4 months now and everything is going well. It's just been the last few weeks that I've seemed some substantial growth.

Things are looking good at 4 months. How long have you had the clam? I don't really know clams, but that one looks happy up there.

Did you ever get around to making an overflow and adding a sump/fuge?

-hank

Things are looking good at 4 months. How long have you had the clam? I don't really know clams, but that one looks happy up there.

Did you ever get around to making an overflow and adding a sump/fuge?

-hank

I have pieces of the fuge/sump, but haven't had the time to finish it. Pretty sad.

The clam's been in about a month. It's doing great, well attached and I can see it's growing new shell pretty rapidly. It's relly amazing to have in there and a good centerpiece. I do add about 2 capfulls of DT's Phytoplankton 1-2x/wk for it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

WEll it's bee a while since I've added any new corals and I've been dying to get some new SPS going. I picked up an ORA Pearlberry @ lunch today and added it. I'm also looking at an ORA blue tort. Can't wait to see how this stuff goes.

Nice to see you are alive! lol. ORA pearlberry acros are sweet. I have had mine for 3 months and it is doing well. I upgraded to Metal Halide and things are growing out of control! My monti caps are growing at 1/4 inch every 3 weeks or so. I had to give a friend some of my acro frags due to space issues. Cant wait to see the updated pics of the new acro.

I have pieces of the fuge/sump, but haven't had the time to finish it. Pretty sad.

The clam's been in about a month. It's doing great, well attached and I can see it's growing new shell pretty rapidly. It's relly amazing to have in there and a good centerpiece. I do add about 2 capfulls of DT's Phytoplankton 1-2x/wk for it as well.

More important that you keep up with the livestock IMO and if the clam is growing, then things are doing well.

I'm officially jealous of your duncan. I got one from our swap last month and it looked good in our QT but shortly after I moved it to my 10g, both heads just dissolved so I'm left staring at the skeleton. :(

-hank

More important that you keep up with the livestock IMO and if the clam is growing, then things are doing well.

I'm officially jealous of your duncan. I got one from our swap last month and it looked good in our QT but shortly after I moved it to my 10g, both heads just dissolved so I'm left staring at the skeleton. :(

-hank

That sucks, sorry to hear that about your Duncan. Mine was literally a freebie for my first coral purchase from an online vendor. I would mount it onto the rock and it kept falling off. Then one day it fell off and I couldn't find it. A month later I found it laying in some LR rubble out of the light and 1/2 buried in the sand ...thought it was a gonner. It was retracted and looked terrible. I thought "what the hell" and glued it back to its old spot...a few days later the new heads started popping out. I was effing amazed.

Archived