SaltCritters.com

Acoustic's REEFTANK! August '03

Acoustic

I have mastered the art of algae growing. If anyone needs suggestions or advise to fill their tank with algae, drop me a line!

Anyhow, Here is my tank this month. Good,Bad,whatever!

if the blasto starts to get choked send it my way...hell if you want to frag some send it my way. anyway nice work on the tank...other than the algae it looks great.

Not that you were asking anyone, but I prefer to just give the algae competition with some macro, instead of getting loads of critters to clean it up.

acoustic, siphon out the cyano and get a conch or two. better yet, head to saltwaterfish.com and get a sand crab. you might be forced to buy 3 but they will keep the sand clean, I can guarantee that. they burrow under the sand and rarely come out, constantly moving around underground.

as for the hair, since you are in cali, head to www.ipsf.com and get yourself a sea bunny. they'll chow the hair and reproduce regularly, feeding the tank. lettuce nudis might work but they tend to release themselves into the current in their search for more food and invariably wind up sucked into a powerhead. Stomatella snails are also real good at hair removal.

the tank looks great but that algae is going to kill your corals.

Hail,

I used to have a 7Alife setup before too. I was forced to take it down because of red hair algae and the buld/ballast went dead. I have only one tiny goby that I rarely fed it. I also dose nothing, just water change. I dont know where the hell were that algae came from but it was nasty. I had to seal the rock in a container for months before all of them died off. I think there is a curse on all the 7 Alife, :*( .

Ok, I think to get rid of the algae, you have to go to its food source, the light and the nutrient. Since you cant turn off the light, run it for 5-6 hrs. Plug in an airstone type of skimmer or a prizm red sea. You can cut off the fan holes above the built-in refugium and plug in the skimmer there. If you dont like to keep the skimmer permanent, at least run it until the algae is gone. The cyano can be siphon out or simply use "Red slime remover". It works on mine.

Here is the picture of my ex-7 Alife

reef18.jpg

Cyber

Well i can tell you this, I had a similar issue in my tank, first off chemi-pure and a 30% water change the next day got rid of the cyano problem. Also I cut my lights back a hour and stopped all dosing....my algae dissappeared within 3 days...

I know everyone has their own way of trying to clean up algea, I am going to be yet another one to give you my 2 cents.

I was getting a bad breakout of cyano algea and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the damn stuff, until I found Saliferts Phosphate remover. I did a 20 % water change and started to add the phsphate remover to the tank. This is in liquid form and the mix of that and less light, I turned off my daylight and just used the actinics and the Cyano disapeard in 2 weeks. I have not had a breakout since.

I knoew great circulation and skimming will help as well. A good snail arsenal will help ALLOT, I mean a big arsenal!! I used Margarita snails as my primary defense, I put 50 snails into my 18 gallon tank and they took care of all the algea on the rocks and glass. The Phosphate remover and light regiment did the rest. You might need to trim the algea down so the snails can eat it.

Jeremy

Archived