Top Shelf Aquatics

Sunlight Clam Pico II (1.25g)

tinyreef

lol, I thought you sold plastics or something. Anyway, sounds good. Whisper Filters work well and they are nice and sleek-ish. Your tank could use and Extreme Makeover Pico Edition or somethin....

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol, I thought you sold plastics or something.
well, i am in plastics. i'm an injection molder. acrylic work is more along the lines of a fabricator. the work i do is more like the housings of a hob or powerhead, i.e. high volume standardized stuff. whereas a fabricator does custom work/hand-work.

yeah, the tank needs a streamlining. maybe over thanksgiving. -_-

BARBIES!
actually, yes.

i make Barbie and Hot Wheels carrying cases. i've been reduced to a pseudo-toymaker. one/last of a dying breed in the US.

we used to make (real) toys for: Tyco (e.g. Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, 80's), Mattel (70's & 80's), Toy Biz (Marvel, X-Men & Spider-Man playsets), Sesame Street (70's), RoseArt (90's), various baby toymakers and many other defunct toy companies.

now i make the carrying cases for the toys. *sigh*

damn chinese. :angry:

Looks like a industrial treatment center

what happened to coping the picture?

cropping?

actually, in that shot you're referring to i kinda wanted the hardware seen. sometimes i think it's more helpful for people to see the equipment necessary (imo) for the setup. also, i couldn't get the angle and the subject matter of the pic without including the frankentank-stuff.

meh, i'm probably going to try and streamline some of the stuff this weekend. i'm just reallllly wary of fugging up something that ain't broken.

fugly, yes. >.<

broken? no.

AcroporaLokani

The tank looks great! I'm temped by this 1.25 gallon tank every time I go to petsmart. I'm just expecting to be yelled at by a petsmart worker for opening the tank's box two or three times every time I take a trip to the store :lol:.

My bad I did not mean to mess up your thread :P

I think the picture and the tank are cool. :D

I also have a hard time changing stuff that is working.

not at all! i welcome all comments, good or bad. critiques help us get better. even/especially 'bad' critiques. because the force us to change.

that's what i always try to do with these setups is challenge the 'envelope'. like i said in another thread, if it wasn't clams it was going to be anemones. :P

so don't worry about it. ;)

heck, to tell you the truth, even mean-spirited critiques are fun to fight back. :lol: thanks for the comments, they're all appreciated. ...well, except for dickie's. <_<

its amazing how you can grow a clam in something so small
thanks for the comment!

imo for the clams, it's more the temperature regulation as the key than volume. otoh, for an active/roaming fish space would be more of a concern. a lot of the sedentary animals we keep, i think would do nicely in an enclosed/claustrophobic tank like this. they normally wouldn't even know of the world beyond x-inches around them.

updates! taken on thanksgiving

i took this picture because: one, the golden/browning of the clam seems to be more prominent from the angle i was viewing (not really as noticeable from a front view though but i still think it's increase a little due to the season), and two the blue highlight chromophore-mottling was unusually visible. often, it doesn't show thru. it shows more like the darker spots (depending on the viewing angle).

2008-1127-1.jpg

i took this pic because the clam seems to be finally pulling itself upright after leaning over/moving a week or so back. the center byssal thread (more like a cable!) wasn't there the other day. so it appears to be making a case for anchoring itself and then pulling itself upright (actually this morning, there was a 3rd thinner thread even above this center 'cable'. i think it'll pull itself upright by monday).

2008-1127-3.jpg

the 2nd scute layer hasn't grown visible yet. i thought i'd be able to see it by now but the season change may be hampering the growth. the 1st scute is already getting 'old' looking, although it's still a whiter shade than the original scutes/layers.

the maxima seems to be expanding more nowadays. it's been more touchy (scared of shadows, i.e. me) than the crocea. so it almost always seemed to be in a mid-crouch. the pics i have are a bit 'glared out'. even these were touched up a bit to counter the white out of the lighting, e.g. contrast and a bit more blue to counter the yellow.

the sarcos seem to be settling in nicely. i was concerned the maxima was shading the 2nd sarco too much. but it seems to have taken the high road and is stretching over the max.

i'm also pleased that my sinularia and a blue shroom is anchoring in. took a while (there's still a bit of organic/biofilm on the rockwork) but i see them beginning to expand better.

i'm also contemplating a signifcant re-working of the hardware from the jury-rigged franken-hobstein that currently is there. still working out the plumbing and concepts mentally but i think it'll work. again, part of me just doesn't like "high-teching" what was supposed to be a very simplistic setup. *sigh*

thanks for reading! :happy:

lol tiny. your tank already has more technology than my two tanks combined :lol:

ima see what i'll do with my tanks. i have to clean them up and i may put a background on the 10g. the astrea died in the pico so it doesn't look to hot right now. not sure what i'm going to do. i might "re-setup" the tank and actually paint the back but i dunno yet. i wish i could find mangroves locally -_-

arrrrrrghhh!!!! *head-smash-repeatedly*

farginsonofafrickinbastagemothersuckingbraaaaargghh!!!!

*pantpantpant*

and that was just the first 15-minutes of my day. >.<

it hasn't gone downhill from there but it ain't making any moves upwards. kinda bouncing between abyss and rock-bottom.

soooo, i wake up blah blah blah, walk past the tank in the living room and head into the kitchen. my ears pick up the chiller cycling on-off. i notice that it seems to cycle pretty quickly. it does cycle thru fast (every 3~5 minutes) but now it's cycling every minute or less. just noticed one or two cycles.

so i walk over and check the temp. it's a rock steady 77F. then i look at the tank and notice that the clams are still relatively "asleep" even though the sun's up. odd.

then i notice there's no water movement. ...*heartbeat*

gaahh!!!!

my hob's impeller must've seized up sometime last night/yesterday. i hadn't looked into the tank since yesterday morning. i've been dosing a bit more kalk lately and i didn't notice the excess scale buildup. (spectulating at this point still)

i frantically unplug the hob, ato, etc. it's all jury-rigged together. the chiller pump was still pumping between hob and chiller, so the temp read a steady 77F but (thankfully) it was cooling quickly too (because its thermal 'reservoir' was too small).

so i disassembly the setup and re-insert the chiller pump and hang it in-place (around 5-minutes, i'm fricking reef-pit crew! i impressed even myself! :lol: ). turn on the chiller/heater and it reads a nice balmy 64F. ...*heartbeat*

gaaahhh!!!

*sigh* but there's nothing i can do at this point. i'm late for an appointment (with the kids in tow!) and i don't want to shock the system either. so i'm letting it slowly get back to temp and i'll see how the tank looks when i get home.

the clams seem ok. po'd...but ok. the croc isn't nearly responsive as it usually is. e.g. i kicked up a lot of sand with the pump re-start and blew it off the clam, it hardly noticed. :(

this is how it looks (cellphone camera pic this time)

2008-1204-1.jpg

ticked off and very cold clams (64F), the sarco's aren't too thrilled either. meh, everything's po'd in the tank at this point. d'oh!

2008-1204-3.jpg

maxijet life-support, i hope the return doesn't slip out of the tank during the day. :unsure:

2008-1204-2.jpg

silver-lining: at least it's a swift kick in my butt (or crotch) to make the switchover to my new pump/filter idea. i just finished cleaning off the old equipment i was planning to use.

so i guess i'll be trying that setup tonight instead of this weekend. (like i didn't have enough to screw around with on my plate *head-smack* *sigh* )

Archived