Sunlight Clam Pico II (1.25g)

tinyreef

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that even legal.....?

Great pics as usual, tiny. :happy:

only in jersey and Amsterdam. :naughtydance:

thanks for the comments! i wish i had real photo skillz like you though.

seasons change

a pretty dreary blah/overcast/cloudy day. the clams and corals still open and surprisingly don't seem to stretch (as evidenced when lighting is too low in artificially lit tanks).

2008-1108-7.jpg

but with the recent spate of cloudy weather/low-light i did another change today.

oh hai, i just upgraded your sun! moved the tank now right next to the window (basically 1" away). it had started out (late summer) about 2' away. i moved it a foot closer about a month ago and now it's butt-up against the window. more an arbitrary choice/decision on my part than anything noticeable that triggered my decision. i figure i will have to pull it back in the spring like the last tank.

2008-1108-6.jpg

outdoor shot, this is the view from outside the house. most visitors/friends have been curious about the tank. they're pretty shocked when i tell them it's a clam tank (eh, they're mostly 'laypeople' anyways, clownfish impress them! :P ). btw, it's not meant to be a nice photo (glare/reflection sux).

2008-1108-4.jpg

so far, (still) so good. i added a sinularia frag. tiny one. still brushing off the rock here and there and minor cleaning too. the heater/chiller's still performing superbly! *knock-on-wood!*

thanks for reading!

still looks great tiny. maybe i'll get a south facing dorm :naughtydance:
speaking of which, i've been meaning to correct a previous post where i think said this was a northern facing window, it is a southern facing window.

thanks for the comment, trav! btw, just curious how many tanks you've got going right now? 1.25g, 10g (replaces the 20L, right?), was there one or more?

thanks for the comment, trav! btw, just curious how many tanks you've got going right now? 1.25g, 10g (replaces the 20L, right?), was there one or more?

1.25g and the 10g that replaced the 20H, so two. Thats enough imo :lol: I do have to decide what I'm going to do for college though. I have to do something that doesn't take as much space and that isn't a pain to move. I was thinking about some really abstract pico idea but I really do like fish. At the very least, I want to be able to keep my cleaner shrimp. Those guys bring teh awesome everytime. I guess the 10g isn't that big, but I dunno. Any thoughts?

college tank, right?

i'd opt for one of the purtier cube/aio's then. better viewing from 3-sides and compact. normally, i'd suggest the 10g but the goal is to get chicks, i mean, impress the visitors.

the higher walls (for easier viewing) and workmanship really shows off on the newer aio's.

cleaner shrimp are good but sexy shrimp will get you tang. :naughtydance: of course, it might be a bit small for a tang. post-1446-1226198088.gif

try to get a little 70W mh but you might have to just settle for the pc. or sunlight but for laypeople viewing the sunlight really isn't optimal. unless it's some kind of eco-chick you're trying to get. berkeley or some hippie place. otoh, they probably wouldn't like the concept of a reef tank in the first place. :unsure:

college tank, right?

yeah

i'd opt for one of the purtier cube/aio's then. better viewing from 3-sides and compact. normally, i'd suggest the 10g but the goal is to get chicks, i mean, impress the visitors.

no, the goal is to have a reef AND get chicks. i'll have to keep the clownfish then :P

the higher walls (for easier viewing) and workmanship really shows off on the newer aio's.

true, the AIO may be easier to move too.

cleaner shrimp are good but sexy shrimp will get you tang. :naughtydance: of course, it might be a bit small for a tang.

cleaner shrimp are pretty sexy imo. but that is true, i can't fit a tang in such a small tank ;)

try to get a little 70W mh but you might have to just settle for the pc. or sunlight but for laypeople viewing the sunlight really isn't optimal. unless it's some kind of eco-chick you're trying to get. berkeley or some hippie place. otoh, they probably wouldn't like the concept of a reef tank in the first place. :unsure:

I already have my 70w halide on the 10g so the lighting is set :naughtydance: you're right. sunlight probably won't get the chicks. i'm going to a liberalish school so they may appreciate the whole eco thing, but otoh, crazy wacked out liberals won't be allowed in the dorm room :unsure:

AP_12g_TankOnly.jpg

+

image548.jpg

+

koralia-nano.jpg

+

th_18709_26647DZ.jpg

+

JB9111_99.jpg

I just need the Maxi-jet and Spare Aquapod Tank.

This thread really has it all!

The information just never stops!

( Lani, I'm starting to wonder 'bout ya sweetie )

:lol:

autumn sun!

finally! i get some decent sunlight from the weather. it's been so blah lately. meh. the croc's leaning more than usual for some reason. it's given me some unusual angles/views which seem odd to worrisome to me (see below). again, i'm not a clam-guy (in the hobby sense, at least) so i'm not sure what to make of it. :huh:

2008-1109-1.jpg

it's pulled itself upwards more than before (reaction to lesser light of the season?) but it has finally anchored itself it appears. i think it actually anchored a while ago, i saw it twisting/moving a couple of weeks back.

2008-1109-4.jpg

but that hinge crevice isn't something i'm used to seeing (that section's been hidden from view, byssal area) so i don't know if that is normal. the light shining straight through due to the intensity of light and sheerness of the body wall also threw me but i think that's more 'normal'.

overall coloration and appearance still seems fine for both clams though. here's a top/down view using a quickie diy acrylic lens viewer-thingy i mocked up to allow me to see them (can't view from the front now that it's butt-up against the window *sigh* ).

2008-1109-5.jpg

2008-1109-6.jpg

pretty stark coloration differences depending on your viewing/lighting angles for these guys.

and the obligatory "money shot" for weet! :P clam gills!

2008-1109-2.jpg

that central zone is still blanched. the lower section has colored up but the center is still pretty 'bald' (i got it like that though).

thanks for reading!

I smell an update.
oh please, excuse me! :blush:

that's just my clam. :unsure:

not sure if it was just the time of day or lighting intensity or i just caught it at a bad time but the byssal area now looks more 'normal' to me. the area is nice and 'puffy' and while the crevice is still there (now that i know what/where to look) the re-expansion of the surrounding tissue makes it look more 'normal' to me.

it's still in direct sunlight (albeit with occasional clouds) but not as intense/direct as it was when i took those pics above (circa 11AM).

with DST, tank position change, and seasons change, the direct lighting period is now more along the lines of 8AM to 1PMish. it's slightly longer now because of where the tank is in relation to the window and house configuration.

in its previous location, it would be in shadow and indirect sunlight at the moment. so moving it up another foot roughly equates to another hour of direct sunlight (that's only because of my specific layout of the house & window though, ymmv).

tyvm, lani! :happy: you too, trav!

Archived