ReefCleaners.org

Sunlight Clam Pico II (1.25g)

tinyreef

My wife and I were there from 9 am 'till about 1.....( and I am lucky as she is interested and even found Borneman's "better fragging" talk interesting )
then we were there at the same time! :ninja:

but we got there just as everyone was starting to eat (about 12PM). my girls and i weren't really hungry so we just passed on that and walked the show/booths instead. about 4-laps around and it was "are we going yet?" -_- so we were outta there basically by 12:45PM.

i knew i was going to miss the speeches/seminars. no way the girls could sit thru any of those unless they had a Pokemon or Zac Efron doing it. (yeah, i just sat thru HM3 without any anesthesia. *shudder* )

i was thinking of adding some tigger pods but that guy was never at his booth. :angry:

thanks for the comments, sarge & nrf! i'm happy with what i'm learning and the results so far. hopefully, it'll avoid any mishaps and this time i'll have the time/opportunity to really watch it mature.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I jsut got my own 1 gallon setup :D

A pickle jar,air tubing,free coral skeletons and black sand :)

Your pico is inspirational !

I'm in Hawaii so temp swings shouldn't be an issue,I hope :scarry:

^^^now that's a big pickle jar. :P

i thought hawai'i bans coral keeping? can you have corals there now? i know you can't collect and i thought you couldn't 'import' either. and i was pretty sure you weren't even allowed to own.

i'm just curious if you can now because it definitely plays on my plans to retire there or not. ;)

wanted to note on the chiller/heater unit that it seems to be doing a great job going back and forth as a heater (nighttime) and a chiller (daytime).

the only thing that worries me so far is that it seems to switch on/off relatively frequently. e.g. it'll cool to a certain temp and then the sun heats the tank, within a few minutes, past the trigger temp and it kicks back on. no problem, right? but this on/off cycles probably every 5~10 minutes (heating or cooling)!

this isn't an issue with the chiller/heater but the setup. i think the 'thermal reservoir' of the tank (probably <1-gallon actual liquid volume) just simply doesn't retain the heat or cool long enough to give the chiller/heater a long enough rest. i'm worried it might not be designed to handle such rapid/frequent on/off cycles. :unsure:

thanks for the comments though!

Hmmm, I can see how that might be a concern.

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with that kind of thing and can't really help you out.

You got it from Nanocustoms, right?

Mebbe they'd know.

As for the Eunice worm, I was honestly pretty skeered of him myself at first.

He was in a "Critter Cage" with holes in it, submerged in a cubicle at the LFS, and I wouldn't even let them take him out to put him in a bag. They just plunked the whole contraption with him inside into a monster bag with at least a gallon of water in it.

But after I'd had him a couple days I noticed that he was agitated cause he was exposed and had nothing to hide in, and I added some PVC. From that point on he kept at least half of his body in the PVC at all times and I realized that he was as skeered of me as I was of him. He never showed any aggression towards me whatsoever.

You got it from Nanocustoms, right?
nanotuners (meh, what's the diff? :P )

i'll probably shoot him an email to see if he's got any experience on that. again, i want to stress to people reading it's not a problem with his unit but more in the "nature of the beast" of the setup because it's so small in actual liquid volume and there's significant factors affecting temperature swings.

I realized that he was as skeered of me as I was of him. He never showed any aggression towards me whatsoever.
yeah, right. it was probably salivating in the pvc cave as it watched your fleshy human hands pass in front of the tank. :scarry:

they can strike like vipers, y'know?! KA-POW!!!

well...maybe not really. but better safe than eunice food!!! :unsure:

thanks, khay! i like watching the progress/development too.

i especially like that the clams are so responsive to stimuli and just their overall growth/change (this tank and my max downstairs). but with little to no upkeep need like fish or crustaceans require. :P

i'll definitely be keeping people posted. thanks for reading! :happy:

AcroporaLokani

WOW, I never would have guessed I would click your thread to see two clams in the tank. So is it only sunlight for the tank? I was thinking about getting one of these cubes for red betta but you may have changed my mind to start one as a clam/zoa tank next to the window. Awesome setup.

only sunlight! at night during full moons the tank gets bathed pretty well in moonlight. there's crappy pitch black picture in the thread somewhere showing a blurred dot as the moon. :lol:

the living has some recessed lighting that i use to view the tank at night but i doubt the 40W halogen 9' up is helping much. but the clams do know it's there though! often when they're 'asleep' and i shock them awake with the room light they'll seem to open a bit more.

i wasn't really planning on two clams but the baby max was there at the swap meet and my daughter was like "git it!" also, the left side got no photo love as the croc was taking all the attention lately. :P

i'm going to watch how it uses the ca/alk over the next few days/weeks. the croc seems to have settled in finally though. the blanching in the middle when i first rec'd it has colored up a little, it opens nicely during the day, and it's layering shell growth well (working on its 2nd new ridge/scute).

just been screwing around with the temp problems back and forth. hopefully, the chiller/heater won't get overtaxed as i mentioned above. :o

thanks again for comments!

Well here is the scoop.

You can only keep soft coral nothing else,

it has to be native and maybe sometime they will allow some SPS who know.

There is only one vendor that can legally sell the soft corals(only zoas and palys)

I wouldn't let that effect where your going to live since the fish here are 50% to 70% less than the 48 states.

Here is the site of the place that sells the zoas :

http://www.alohacorals.com/storefront/

Now I have an idea to bypass the "never remove coral without a permit and even with a permit only soft corals" clause. It may just be possible to catch the sperm and eggs of the coral when they spawn then get just one SPS to grow then distribute it (can't sell SPS) It's a long shot but I'd like tot try when I get a house soon. I may sound crazy but I'm the only one who is this young, who is going to have any legal coral in Hawaii :D

Yea they are that unheard of :lol:

You'll get a $10,000 fine for that (really) :)

Seriously though the state of Hawaii has to keep out other coral.

I do think the no native SPS laws need to be changed it totally peeves me

mid-week update! (snuck home for a school thing, heh-heh)

well, the baby maxima finally seems settled in. it seemed to be predominantly filter feeding (on the ambient phytoplankton) but last day or so it's seem to warm up to the idea of the sunlight. well, rainy sunlight. this is under overcast/rainy/snowy (yes, in october!) weather in NJ. but the lil' bugger's backwards! >.<

2008-1029-5.jpg

angle shot, sorry it's muted and at an angle but if i try to get a head on shot the clams 'see' me and close up. the sarcos seem to be settling in as well as the xenia too! i'm a bit surprised at the xenia, i tend to kill them quick. :P

2008-1029-4.jpg

opposite angle view. i always like the two-tone look of the croc, green& gold vs. the dominant blue & gold. the max also has a two-toned look, vivid purple and blue w/black stripes.

2008-1029-7.jpg

clam uvulas are coloring up blue now nicely. ok, ok, i don't really know what those extra fleshy polyps are called but i think it's cool that they're coloring up like the mantle. i never knew those extra bits could turn color like that, like the mantle does.

2008-1029-6.jpg

the chiller/heater seems to be working spot-on! i'm just still concerned that the small 'thermal reservoir' (because the water volume's so small) is overworking the unit. but it really keeps the tank in a very tight tolerance, 76F~78F (at night) and 78F~80F (during the day) with the target temp set at 78F. *thumbsup*!

thanks for reading! :happy:

dry humor from trav. c'mon cheer up!

snuck another photo session after the grade school halloween parade. i think it was my 11th parade? yes, it's both amusing and torturous. :lol:

baby maxima closeup, usually it shuts close as i peer closer but i think the sunlight was too bright or too good for it. B) the xenia (background) seems to have settled in too, surprisingly.

2008-1031-1.jpg

two angles (starker colors) of the same baby maxima. this is also an interesting shot because it's showing the stark evidence of photosynthesis of the substrate with the bubbles in the sand versus the unlit sides. so it's not always denitrification when the sand bubbles show as commonly thought.

2008-1031-2.jpg

more clam uvulas! *cue-pron-muzak* bow-chicka-bow-wow! these fleshy lumps are really coloring up! even the middle fleshy laaabb, um...i mean, the folds of flesh are getting iridescent colors now. :unsure:

2008-1031-6.jpg

early afternoon/midday sunlight (about 1PMish). the sun is just about to creep beyond the edge of the house and the tanks goes into its indirect sunlight period (2PM onwards). yeah, i should've cleaned the window. >.<

2008-1031-4.jpg

whole setup, i cleaned up/organized the hoses and wirings as best as i could. it still looks a bit frankensteinish to me because i usually like simple/clean-cut setups but use of the chiller/heater simply doesn't allow for that. *sigh*

2008-1031-5.jpg

chiller's working fine still. it keeps the tank between 78F~80F during sunlight hours but it does cycle on/off quite frequently due to the small volume of the tank.

heater switches over from about late afternoon onto early the next morning, keeping temps between 76F~78F. target temp is set at 78F.

thanks for reading! :happy:

more clam uvulas! *cue-pron-muzak* bow-chicka-bow-wow! these fleshy lumps are really coloring up! even the middle fleshy laaabb, um...i mean, the folds of flesh are getting iridescent colors now. :unsure:

lol :lol:

money shots as requested by the lady!

purple up! and to hell with the IP attorneys. :P

2008-1101-8.jpg

money shot! wow, you can almost see the ovaries! what? :huh: they're just past the gills there.

2008-1101-9.jpg

happy halloween! see the scary face there? anthropomorphism! muahahahahaha!

2008-1101-10jpg.jpg

...i could've noted the labial palps. but i didn't.

fig03_clam.jpg

see? i do have self-restraint. sorta. :unsure:

Archived