Cultivated Reef

Bagoeggs [AP24], 150W MH Log

bagoegg

So I finally got my AC70 all set up as my fuge. I took the filter basket and cut it apart into the 3 pieces. I cut the "handle part" off one of the sides and glued that by the intake then I glued the bottom grate part to the front by the outflow to keep the chaeto in. Was really easy actually. I havent trimmed the impeller. I just put it to the lowest flow setting and it seems to be great. I threw a bag of Chemi Pure Elite in as well. Slapped a Finnex PC light on top and all done!

Everything else in the tank seems to be doing great. My GSP seems to be growing alot. My yellow colony is spouting new heads every few days and out zoa is doing the same. We might go get another shrimp next weekend. Maybe.

AP24104.jpg

AP24105.jpg

AP24106.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might have added the shrimp a little early but it's always hard to tell. I added mine around 2 months or so and has been good ever since. One of my hermit crabs is the same ones you have. Your the first person to see with the same hermits as me! Cool. I love my hermits and I know some people think they are the devil but I have had nothing but good luck with mine.

One of my hermit crabs is the same ones you have. Your the first person to see with the same hermits as me! Cool. I love my hermits and I know some people think they are the devil but I have had nothing but good luck with mine.

Yeah they have been pretty good so far. I get a little nervous sometimes when they go on our yellow colony frag, but they never hear the corals.

NITRATES ARE FINALLY AT 0!!!!! They have been lingering around 5-10 for 2 weeks. And our zoa has split off of the frag piece and onto our rock! I was so excited last night when I saw. Its only 1 polyp but its so exciting! See pic below. Its the one of the far right.

AP24120.jpg

GSP

AP24117.jpg

Yellow Colony

AP24123.jpg

We got a skunk cleaner today. Its is doing very well and is much more active then our previous one. We drip acclimated so hopefully it will do good. All tests are still good. Amm 0, NO2 0, NO3 0, Phos 0, Copp 0. Our zoas are split like madmen. We now have 2 that moved onto our rock and our yellow colony is almost off the frag and onto our rock. If everything is still good in a couple weeks, we might go get fish, finally!

Our shrimp is swaying like a stick bug in the wind. You know how they walk to mimick a leaf in the wind. Well he is doing that side to side. He looks like a piece of seaweed. I am guessing this is natural behavior. Does anyone elses do that?

did you drip acclimate the fire shrimp or just float and dump?

sorry just realized I was only on the first page, as for the skunk swaying, every shrimp I've had has done that, the current skunk in my girlfriends tank does that and goes nuts over formula one pellets.

The fire shrimps bag fell in the tank as it was being acclimated. We figured thats what did it. My guy at my LFS and I talked and he said they are very sensitive to salinity changes. He gave me some free chaeto though. $40 and a poor little dead shrimp though made me decide that my ass better drip acclimate! We did with Olala and he/she it doing great. He/she loves cleaning under my fingernails. Its a really weird feeling.

I had a heart attack this morning. I walked in and did my morning check on the tank before leaving for work and I see my shrimp laying upside down on the rock. My heart sunk. The I got my flashlight and looked closer to see what happened and I realized that the body was awfully see through. Then I looked behind the rocks and my shrimp was there. It molted!!! But it definatley scared the crap out of me!

Pushing a month and almost 2 weeks. Everything is still doing good. Corals are spreading like weeds. Shrimp will eat out of our hand. Getting close to getting fish! Going to do some remodeling of my AC fuge this weekend. Then hopefully by next or the following we will go get some fish. Heres our GSP being all pretty under the blue led's.

AP24142.jpg

AP24143.jpg

Tank is doing great still. (knock on wood) We went up and got a couple new additions this weekend. A Pom Pom Xenia and a Plate Coral. The plate is by far one of the coolest things I have ever had. We fed him today and it was so cool to watch it open its mouth and suck down the food. Our LFS is having a sale on SW fish starting next weekend so we are going to pick up our first fish. Woohoo! New pics:

AP24150.jpg

AP24153.jpg

AP24162.jpg

Woohoo! We are starting to see spots of pinkish purpley coralline on the rocks. Our LFS is having a sale on SW fish tomorrow so we are going to get our first fish!

Tank is looking good buddy!

That is some sweet looking chaeto you have there too. :rolleyes:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the mag float situation is classic! :lol:

Oh, and were you looking for this?> :blush:

Tank will start coloring up soon. B)

Yeah man your chaeto is growing faster than my other stuff. You pump it full of steroids or something?

Im never going to hear the end of the mag float thing am I?

Im never going to hear the end of the mag float thing am I?

Ahh, the magfloat... Come on, you gotta embrace that one. Every one of us has something silly that we did to make people smile. That one is solid good fun!

Tank's looking awesome. Looks like you've found some success in the south end.

Keep the pics coming!

All the corals came from Barrier. I found retarded looking bubble coral down here and that about it. They didnt have the selection I wanted at Barrier last time so I might make my first trip up to ARSA.

OK so I made my first big mistake with this tank. We went to our LFS sale and they didnt have much to choose from so we got a fire fish. Then we stopped by Petco on the way home to see what they had. (By the way I fu**ing hate Petco) So we saw this cool scooter blenny. So I was like, those guys are pretty easy from what ive read so lets get one. So I get home and look up some pics of other ones and realize that I got it confused with a sailfin blenny. I felt like such a dumbass. I start reading about scooters and see they are realted to mandarins and eat pods and should be in a big tank. But I also read that scooters eat prepared foods more easily than mandarins. So the day after we got them I thawed so frozen mysis and drop some in for the fire fish and our plate. I also dropped some by scooter pie and sure enough he munched it down. Last night I tried to give him some Formula 1 pellets and he ate those as well. So hopefully we got one that was used to eating prepared foods and wont starve. It has taken me 4 days to get the courage to admit this to all of you by the way!!!!

Here is a nomination for "Slowest Nom Ever". Time elapsed, approx 6 minutes.

AP24-137.jpg

AP24-18.jpg

AP24-119.jpg

AP24-126.jpg

Some pics of Hanna, our firefish.

AP24-110.jpg

AP24-115.jpg

And Scooter Pie. He was camera shy today.

AP24-127.jpg

And various other livestock. Everything is growing like a weed. Which is good right? :-) Our shrimp molted yet again this weekend which brings her total up to 4 I think.

AP24-118.jpg

AP24-117.jpg

AP24-121.jpg

AP24-125.jpg

AP24-130.jpg

I placed an order with John at ReefCleaners.org to beef up my cuc a bit. John gave me a ton of extras. He is the man! All snails seem to be alive as well. I highly recommend him for your snail needs!

Update: All the snails John sent are alive. He rocks!

No doubt, John is da man!

And all the extras you get usually more than cover the shipping costs too.

Tank is looking good, nice growth there.

Keep it up!

HAHAHAHAHA Maybe if im really drunk we will have a coral sniffing party.

I got to take some pics of the new zoas I got from AltisReef. They are so beautiful. Will have some up today.

Great looking tank. I love those shots of the plate and firefish. So vibrant!

Do you have a problem keeping your hermits of the plate while your feeding it?

Archived