Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dosing Vodka

FriscoTX

Hope I don't piss anyone off digging this back up..

I have been reading this thread and researching other reefkeepingmagazine articles on this topic. I really appreciate Mr.Fosi and MrAnderson for their patience.

One thing that has kinda puzzled me is the constant raising of the dosing(vodka)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Why not just leave the dosing low, to be safer, and to not be in such a hurry?

I still have concerns with methanol (like permanent blindness via distruction of the optic nerve if 10ml is consumed and death at 30ml-100ml) but the argument MrAnderson has made is very convincing. Obviously, I would be super careful with it and never consider consuming it - I would have to have this stuff locked up(literally)

Also what containers can even house this stuff? It would probably melt plastic, so does that mean that an automatic doser like the this one http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...per-minute.html wouldn't work? And would the recomended dosing for the Vodka be the same proportion for Methanol? I wouldn't assume so...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats the comparison for this type of dosing and using Brightwell MB7?

MB7 Is a bacteria source. Vodka is a carbon source.

Carbon sources make the bacteria work harder and faster at exporting nutrients.

Brightwell makes a carbon source called "Reef BioFuel" thats safer and does the same thing as vodka, although a lot LESS effective.

MB7 is just to get a higher more diverse population of beneficial bacteria.

MB7, sounds like a good thing either way right?

I use it and have had good results.

I also use the reef biofuel carbon source.

0 algae in my tank other than coralline and the light green stuff on my glass i have to magfloat off. And i feed HEAVILY! Im talking 2 cubes of mysis 2-3x a week :lol:

My skimmer started working twice as well since using both. I highly recommend one if you go the MB7 and Carbon source route. I think its actually a requirement in most peoples eyes.

I've had good luck with brightwell stuff currently i use the following:

Neomarine Salt

Reefcode part A & B

Microbacter7

Reef Biofuel

Koral Color

Zooplanktos-m

Great! Thanks for the info and products you use. Yeah I will wait till my skimmer is up and going before I begin dosing. I think I will attempt the Brightwell carbon source before Methanol...but I do have soem algae that need a whippin. My skimmer is a Coralife 65, will it be good enough?

Great! Thanks for the info and products you use. Yeah I will wait till my skimmer is up and going before I begin dosing. I think I will attempt the Brightwell carbon source before Methanol...but I do have soem algae that need a whippin. My skimmer is a Coralife 65, will it be good enough?

Thats the skimmer i have on my 40 breeder with a sump. I'm probably around roughly 50 gallons or so (still need to make a bigger sump).

I also have a refugium with chaeto and i run carbon.

I still have concerns with methanol (like permanent blindness via distruction of the optic nerve if 10ml is consumed and death at 30ml-100ml) but the argument MrAnderson has made is very convincing. Obviously, I would be super careful with it and never consider consuming it - I would have to have this stuff locked up(literally)

Just wear gloves when handling it because it can absorb through the skin. It's a pretty flammable reagent and should be kept in something flame resistant.

I'd actually like to know more about the form of dosing with methanol. Paging Mr. Anderson......

Just wear gloves when handling it because it can absorb through the skin. It's a pretty flammable reagent and should be kept in something flame resistant.

I'd actually like to know more about the form of dosing with methanol. Paging Mr. Anderson......

From the way he was talking it sounded like he was more concerned about someone in the house getting their hands on it and drinking it. Maybe kids?

Ok good to know that my Coralife isn't a complete POC. Yeah kids are over from time to time(I dont have any yet, but animals and visitors overall) And yes, i'm still really interesed in the recommended dosage and frequency...although I would probably go really slow with it anyhow.

Also, while Brightwell products can seemingly be used long or short term-is this methanol thing recommended for long term?

And yes, i'm still really interesed in the recommended dosage and frequency...although I would probably go really slow with it anyhow.

Also, while Brightwell products can seemingly be used long or short term-is this methanol thing recommended for long term?

Exactly what I'm interested in knowing.

i'd have to dig up some literature regarding dosing methanol, but you could probably wing it empirically, starting at really low quantities and work your way up.

personally, i wouldn't dose unless i could target the denitrifiers. i don't like the idea of dosing the whole tank, it doesn't really make sense biologically.

Thanks Mr.Anderson. So what you are saying is that I should inject it into the substrate?

Is there any danger in using Brightwell's Carbon source and MB7 in combination with Methanol? I know it kinda sounds like overload, but just curious..

• 2 years later...

I hate to do this but BUMP, i know if your new like me this is a very very intresting read.

along with this artice http://www.aquariumslife.com/headline/dosing_vodka/

For me and new to saltwater ( to the year ) and you battle trates in a larger or smaller tank use this method i am going to when i get home if it be sugar or vodka ( drink responsibly ) ;)

i read quite a bit of this, and did not hear any adverse affects of this, is there anything out there that dislikes the taste of this ?

Would be interesting to find out of there was a brand that was more effective then the others, obviously not all still their product the same way?

lakshwadeep

This article describes a denitrification system used in a public aquarium. The carbon source is methanol.

http://144.206.159.178/ft/166/9991/192318.pdf

edit: Branding is often more hype than a true difference. In this case, it's better to go with pure ethanol than vodka itself. Sugar (pure sucrose) should be fine. Other options include glycerol (glycerin). That's why many people now make their own dosing supplements from non-reef-oriented products.

• 5 months later...

Archived