ReefCleaners.org

JBJ 12 gallon nano questions for owners!

yOyOYoo

sukeband: nothing wrong with having the temp at 81. My tank is currently at 82-83 and all is fine. If your tank goes pass 86 i would be concerned.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I waited 2 months for the JBJ tank to come out, and i got tired of waiting so I bought the ViaAqua 418W it's 15 gal. I use the stock lighting which is 36W. I have a frogspawn, LT Plate Coral, and a feather duster. Everything seems to be doing fine with the lighting so far and that would be around 2.4 watts per gallon. Ideally I would double it, but for right now, it's stayin like this, so you can definitely keep nice looking corals.

seems like there just enough room to add another identical 24 watt pc right next tot he one in there, just gotta get some sorta reflector? shouldn't be to hard right?

right?

I got my Via Aqua at Zoo's on Front St. Downtown Philadelphia, PA

you can view the tank at www.commodityaxis.com. however Via Aqua seems to be very hard to get a hold of and limits their sale of products to dealers only, you can't buy it direct. If someone knows where you can please let us know. So you might want to start by finding an LFS that sells Via Aqua pumps and powerheads since they seem to be their primary product, and ask them if they can order you a tank or a brochure. It's a great tank, and it was only 115.00 with the light and it comes with an undergravel filter, which is basically useless as it come with no suction cups, but it got me through my cycling until I purchased a new one. And to add more light you can just purchase another fixture and it measures out to fit two lights on the tank, so you would have 64W giving you almost 5 watts per gallon. It's good deal since it is all glass with round edges, looks nice. I can't figure out how to post a pic on here, it always says my file is too big. I'm using a Kodak 4330 and the Kodak EasyShare software, and ideas on how to get a pic on here???? thanks

resize your huge 3mp (is it 3mp) image to 630x480 pixels and you should be fine. Photo software like Adobe Photoshop can do it for you.

Hey, TRUK! i took a look at jims last week, and spoke with some people there. seemed very nice. I cant wait what they can do with a stock Nanocube. The guy told me the cube was very modifiable.

What do you think of this? could it be possibe to mount these lights? maybe 2 sets into the hood of the cube?

http://www.petmeister.com/item1677.htm

that would pull 6 sets per gallon if my math is correct. even better right?

right?

it looks that like would fit, since its 12 inches wide and you have a bout 13 to play with

The only thing is that the light...well its 10 bucks less than the whole tank man...thats expensive

Since you are local, go here

www.aquaticoutlet.com

they are in inglewood and will be cheaper with the lights. This place is not good assistance, but they have is good prices, so don't ask them anything. Seriously you will walk out with like 1,000 of crap you dont need, some sales reps in there are really high pressure. I wonder if they work on commision or something. But all in all they have outrageous prices on some stuff you'll be like WTF I cant believe they are so cheap.

They are like the Costco of fish stuff awesome deals if you know what you are looking for.

If you know what you want, go to the Inglewood place and get your lights there.

I'm glad you like Jims, they are like the best place in the area. Brad is awesome with salt tanks, and I dont know anyone who knows more about Cichlids than Jim.

yeah its because it comes with a geramn aluminium casing and fans and all the crap i dont need.

back to the drawing board with this thing

Hello

hey actually I saw a new version of the JBJ 12 gallon manufacturerd by a different company. It was the exact same tank though, except on this one there were 2 computer fans already screwed and installed into the top cover. The wiring went into the ballast under the reflectornad turned on with the fans. It was AWESOME!!!!

I wish I bought that one. my local LFS had it for $99!!!

Thats how it is man...dont worry about it. Soon they will make a 15 gal version, a 20...then they will make one with better lights.

Improvements, we got the first design, so there really is no where to go but up from here.

Its like a computer, you cant kick yourself in the butt when a new one comes out each month...:)

Good point JLT.

I yearn for the day when I can go to my local LFS and scoop up a prebuilt all glass 20 gallon long with built in 10 gallon sump/refugium, and MH lighting...

• 2 weeks later...
static69static

definitely expect pics. If i'm not mistaken, isn't the ballast and connections behind the piece of reflector you plan on cutting out and adding the additional 24 watt?

Quantumfusion

I am really tring to find this tank in North-western Indiana but the to closest LFS do not have them. I will have to travel west towards Chicago I think in order to find one. Any one else in NWI or Chicago area that have seen these tanks? Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey fellas, another Nano Cuber here! If your having problems with heat just prop up the entire lid 2-3 inches (mines 81 degrees). The light shines on everything just fine. I just prop it while the lights are on and close it when the lights are off. However, I am looking at getting a couple of fans for it as I want to add an additional 32 watts of pc lights. Is everyone using the computer fans or are you buying those $$$$ fans from the fish supplier stores. I would like to be able to hard wire it right in so that the fan turned on when the timer kicks the lights on. Also, I added a little ViaAqua powerhead to the other side of the tank about a 1/4 of an inch from the top of the water to get some extra flow and surface agetation for oxygen exchange. About the extra lights, could you not just slide over the existing pc and drop in an additional 32 watter right beside it with a remote ballast. I would even use the same reflector, no major mods needed.

I was thinking this setup should slide right in beside the other with only a little modifcation to the existing reflector.

14" "Nano Ballast" 28W Retrofit Kit From Hellolights.com

Check them out in the retrofit section. I would just trim the reflector it comes with to fit inside or not use it at all. Just throw the light in besides the other one with the existing reflector. What does everyone think?

About 13 and 5/8" inside width in the canopy, so it if 14 inches it would have to be trimmed. If can probably be be done though, good call!

Which bulb though? the 50/50, the 10k?

How long is the bulb and endcap? I'll have to ask them.

The bulb is 12 11/16", so with those endcaps that are pretty slim you should be able to fit it in just fine. I think the overall length is 14" with the reflector. I would think that you could just trim the reflctor to fit or not use it at all. If it was too bulky, I was just going to slide the new bulb in with the existing 24 watter and use the same stock reflector. Also, I have not taken the plexiglass protecter to look yet, but could you remove the existing ballast from the hood and turn it into a remote ballast. That would practically double the space available under the protecter to put lights in. You could then fit possibly 2x28 watt and the stock 1x24 for 80 watts. I would then deffinately add a couple of fans and you would be set. All this would be on the idea that you could turn the existing ballast into a remote ballast outside the hood. All that in and ultra slim setup that fits right on my kitchen counter tops under my cabinet (like a microwave). As to the bulb type, I would go with the 50/50 unless you plan on replacing the 24 watter with a Actinic and the 28 watter with a 10000k or so. @ hellolights.com they have in the "do it yourself" section a 2x28W ARO CF Ballast Kit that would fit nicely for this I am thinking. Let me know what you all think. Also are we able to post direct links to outside website?

Archived