Top Shelf Aquatics

Murdering Purple Lobster !

zippykat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney

stainless steel skewers work well. does it take the bait at night? If so try watching the tank with a red party bulb, they are probably blind to red light, and when it gets in the trap, grab it quick.

stainless steel skewers work well. does it take the bait at night? If so try watching the tank with a red party bulb, they are probably blind to red light, and when it gets in the trap, grab it quick.

It does take the bait.....I just haven't had the time to sit there all nite and watch the dang thing. It's worth a shot, I just gotta figure out when I have the time...maybe tonight!

big_fat_mushroom

I suggest trying to fish it out by tying a piece of shrimp to a fishing line and drop it in front of his hiding spot. This is how I catch crayfish and they don't let go of the bait.

I suggest trying to fish it out by tying a piece of shrimp to a fishing line and drop it in front of his hiding spot. This is how I catch crayfish and they don't let go of the bait.

Thats a great idea!!! I can't believe I didnt think of that. I will attach the bait to a hook within my current bottle trap and hopefully I will be able to catch him.

Is is reef/tank safe to put a fishing hook in it?

THANK YOU!!

• 2 weeks later...

TRAP DAY ???:

I have tried the larger trap with a little swing door at the end...can push in but not out....Stupid lobster propped it open somehow...dang he is smart. So, I am currently getting him good an hungary for my next trap.......spear lobstering!

ANY TRAP SUGGESTIONS WELCOME! :)

reefersmoker

I'm trying to remove my purple lobster as well. I think he killed my six line wrasse (which was missing part of it's tail a couple days before he died). Anyway its going to be really difficult to remove him by hand, I will have to remove all my rock. I tried the soda bottle trap last night and caught a snail and a hermit within minutes but the lobster never even left his cave :angry:

TRAP DAY whatever:

I tried to catch my purple lobster by hand today....I have found that I can move him around the rocks pretty easily, but no success.....too quick for the tweezers and the the stainless steel fillet knife is too bulky. I gotta find me some stainless steel kabob sticks.

Anywho, I decided to order a trap from drsfostersmith.com ....the one listed for bristolworms, crabs, and other inverts......i am hoping the purple lobster will go into it...we will see. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

• 1 month later...

I read your post on this for the first time today 09/13/2008. Over the years I have had to trap multiple allegedly reef safe lobsters from various sized aquariums. The bottle trap will work quite well but there are some minor details that have to be followed to ensure success. My current configuration has been 100% successful within 72 hours of deployment on the last 3 lobsters I've had to catch.

I use a clear 1 Litre Pepsi bottle. The opening is usually just fine but if you do need to cut it to make it bigger, only cut just enough to create the size necessary. Too large an opening is certain failure. When you cut the bottle to invert the top you want to make sure that when incerted, the opening is only a few inches from the bottom. This latter part seems to be very important. Empty a lipton tea bag and wash it out or use an aragonite mesh bag. Fill the bag with a frozen food preparation - lobsters are usually not too picky - and pin it in the crevace of the cut where you pushed the inverted top back into the bottom. This is easy to do when you assemble your bottle. Also, add some rock to the bottle. The rock has to be kept away from the opening. It is easy to slide the rock around on the bottom after you fill the bottle with water by submersing it into the acquarium. The rock will keep the bottle weighted down and seems to relieve the lobster's urgency to escape. Lay the bottle on the bottom of the aquarium off in a corner on its side. I face the cut end (entrance) toward their cave or known hiding spot within the aquarium. This means to get out they would have to go away from their know safety to find the small opening. Within a few days you will find your lobster hiding under or behind the rocks stuck in the bottle.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Thanks for the info...I will give it a shot...I had given up, but with this new advice I hope to catch the bugger.

I read your post on this for the first time today 09/13/2008. Over the years I have had to trap multiple allegedly reef safe lobsters from various sized aquariums. The bottle trap will work quite well but there are some minor details that have to be followed to ensure success. My current configuration has been 100% successful within 72 hours of deployment on the last 3 lobsters I've had to catch.

I use a clear 1 Litre Pepsi bottle. The opening is usually just fine but if you do need to cut it to make it bigger, only cut just enough to create the size necessary. Too large an opening is certain failure. When you cut the bottle to invert the top you want to make sure that when incerted, the opening is only a few inches from the bottom. This latter part seems to be very important. Empty a lipton tea bag and wash it out or use an aragonite mesh bag. Fill the bag with a frozen food preparation - lobsters are usually not too picky - and pin it in the crevace of the cut where you pushed the inverted top back into the bottom. This is easy to do when you assemble your bottle. Also, add some rock to the bottle. The rock has to be kept away from the opening. It is easy to slide the rock around on the bottom after you fill the bottle with water by submersing it into the acquarium. The rock will keep the bottle weighted down and seems to relieve the lobster's urgency to escape. Lay the bottle on the bottom of the aquarium off in a corner on its side. I face the cut end (entrance) toward their cave or known hiding spot within the aquarium. This means to get out they would have to go away from their know safety to find the small opening. Within a few days you will find your lobster hiding under or behind the rocks stuck in the bottle.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

TRAP FROM DRSFOSTERSMITH-

Tried their trap for 2 weeks with fresh bait each day...All I caught was some snails.....my emerald crab didnt even go in it. So I highly doubt the lobster ever will.

I am going to try the suggestion from kpdual90.....wish me luck!

• 7 months later...
Please tell us who won. :)

yah ok i just read all three pages hoping to see some pics or something....

Archived