Coral Vue Hydros

I want to build a stand for my 75 out of 1x4's to be as light as possible..

The Propagator

glennr1978
:haha:

Its broken. I am taking it to the recycle yard tomorrow along with a crap load of aluminum, and copper.

also taking most of the chit your looking at in that pics ( all but the stand ) to either good will or the dump.

been cleaning the attic, garage, and basement out.

I feel somewhat disappointed. I have an approximately 12' x 20' screened in back patio and am seriously considering putting a tv and a small beer fridge out there. A microwave may be in order as well.....nah.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

I finished a big ass deck on the back of my place last summer. Used Fiber board, and PVC railing.

NEVER use PVC railing that stuff is CRAP ! Its already cracking.

I'll snap off a pic or two of the deck here soon.

gulfsurfer101

I've actually seen that in Aransas Pass, That stand looks pretty sweet, I just got a 30 tall that came fully encased in a ton of these and I think will build a canopy with them since it came with a stand. Happy fourth of July, another good reason to chill out with a cold beer and enjoy meal cooked right in your backyard grilled or microwaved.

glennr1978
:haha:

Dam you Glenn see what you started !!

Hey man you're the one that left it in the yard and took a pic = not my fault :D .

The Propagator

Thats it !

I am posting those pictures of your wife !

The ones I don't have ! :D

The Propagator

The cost of the wood plus $150.00 labor, you put the finish on it your self, and proly another $100 to get it freighted to you :lol:

and no warranty. :P

The Propagator

I just finished a 4th coat of gloss black. Waiting on it to dry now.

Then its getting a light sand, a tacking off with a damp towel then sprayed with polyurethane and lightly rubbed down with note book paper. I haven't made my side panels or doors yet, OR installed the floor yet.

Been waiting on the pain to dry and got lazy ! :haha:

Nice work Prop. I would suggest a little more strenuous test since a 75 will weigh about 3 or 4 times what you do. About 4 x 200 lbs would be about right.

The Propagator

You should know better then that dude !

:D

When you jump um and down you easily double and triple your weight on impact ;)

Same for jolting back and forth

Think I could make a 1/16" balsa wood stand for my 75g? ;)

Looks good, but I bet it twists tortionally a bit, but thats really the only way that shoudn't matter when holding up a tank. By this I mean, hrm... if you held the rear in place, I bet you could move the front side to side a bit. Wouldn't really be a problem once the tank is on it, but I'd still feel safer having at least a 2x2 section on each inside corner, holding it all together.

The Propagator

Thats it.

Dae are you in town this weekend?

Just come by the monster in laws house and look at this fooker and get it over with.

That will remove all doubt I bet. :)

Nope, probably won't be for a while, as my friend is out of state goin to college, otherwise I would have stopped by for corals by now ;)

Looks great but the legs scare me a bit you may want to get a few L-brackets from lowes "only a few $ and tie your 2 pieces at the legs together. I would be afraid of them bowing in the middle.

That's a lot of weight focused directly on that point, "like 10lb a gallon including rock and s*it right".

If it where 2x4's i'm sure it would be fine.

Just my 2 cents, but it really does look awesome.

2661660952_749d3792c2.jpg?v=0

puttingonbracket.jpg

Oh shiat your only in fricken PA ya pansy !

:o

:P

;)

:D

Yeah, and about $100 in gas for the round trip <_<

Meh, screw ugly blocks, biscuit jointer FTW.

The Propagator
Looks great but the legs scare me a bit you may want to get a few L-brackets from lowes "only a few $ and tie your 2 pieces at the legs together. I would be afraid of them bowing in the middle.

That's a lot of weight focused directly on that point, "like 10lb a gallon including rock and s*it right".

If it where 2x4's i'm sure it would be fine.

Just my 2 cents, but it really does look awesome.

2661660952_749d3792c2.jpg?v=0

puttingonbracket.jpg

Those have been glued, clamped and nailed all the way down the joining edge with 9 barbed

1 5/8s" finish nails in each set of legs. They aren't going any where at the joint and the chances of them bowing are just as good as a 2x4 doing the same thing. I highly doubt they will bow with weight on it honestly. It more likely to do any bowing with no pressure on it

Its been outside all this time through rain storms, and hot humid days, as well as dry and hot days.

No bowing at all though.

Dae,

A biscuit joiner would be nice but wouldn't be worth a damn on anything small then a 2 x 4.

anything else and it would be like sticking tooth pics in side tooth picks. The walls would be to thin, and so would the insert.

Hey, back in my day, when you had an extra grizzly piece of meat stuck in your toofs, we would biscuit join 2 toothpicks together for extra strength in prying that bad boy out!

Those have been glued, clamped and nailed all the way down the joining edge with 9 barbed

1 5/8s" finish nails in each set of legs. They aren't going any where at the joint and the chances of them bowing are just as good as a 2x4 doing the same thing. I highly doubt they will bow with weight on it honestly. It more likely to do any bowing with no pressure on it

Its been outside all this time through rain storms, and hot humid days, as well as dry and hot days.

No bowing at all though.

Dae,

A biscuit joiner would be nice but wouldn't be worth a damn on anything small then a 2 x 4.

anything else and it would be like sticking tooth pics in side tooth picks. The walls would be to thin, and so would the insert.

OK

Didn't realize you did that

hell that's just as good as one solid piece then, good job.

neanderthalman
Think I could make a 1/16" balsa wood stand for my 75g? ;)

Looks good, but I bet it twists tortionally a bit, but thats really the only way that shoudn't matter when holding up a tank. By this I mean, hrm... if you held the rear in place, I bet you could move the front side to side a bit. Wouldn't really be a problem once the tank is on it, but I'd still feel safer having at least a 2x2 section on each inside corner, holding it all together.

Torsional strength and stability is important as well. If there isn't enough, then a slight force on any one side of the tank could make the stand twist and collapse. Imagine reaching in to get a frag, and your light touch against the tank as you lean in makes the entire assembly crash to the floor. I don't care how little you've invested in the tank - 75 gallons of saltwater coming down like that will ruin something. Divorces ain't cheap.

The best (cheapest, lightest) solution is not to put plywood on the back and one side, but to run steel wire and turnbuckles from corner to corner along the back and one side and put them under tension. It'll weigh a lot less, cost a lot less, and is even adustable to help square up the stand if needed. Save the plywood for the floor and glue it in place, and you've locked the stand in three orthogonal planes (that's a good thing).

Working on a stand at my parents place as well. Taking forever to finish since I'm never there, but it's a brick shiathouse and doesn't weigh any more than a bucket of salt - thanks in part to the trick with the wires..

• 1 month later...
TheNorthernLight

Ok,

my .2's....

Please, oh PLEASE, tell me you don't intend to ever use a wavebox?

and once your done, i STRONGLY suggest, you find yourself an old used tank, or 4 smaller 20G tanks (place them sideways across the top), fill them with water, and "push" on a corner. If it wobbles more then an inch or so, don't even think about using it, or you will be replacing a lot of flooring. I had a friend attempt to build a similar stand, and it failed 4 weeks into having the tank up and running. Exactly as Neanderthalman states, cleaning 75 gallons of salt water, is no joke... even in the slightest. Do a test, get a 2 x 2L bottles, and dump on your driveway, that's 1 gallon... now multiply... you'll freak. :)

Hope it stays standing,

Spyrule

Archived