Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dahlia's NEW 20L PICS page 70

dahliaheartsyou

dahliaheartsyou

Some updates....and questions...

I am starting to have possible diatom on just 1 rock...and a little but of sand. Is it possible that because I started a 9 hour photoperiod from the get go it caused it? Or is it just normal...I mean, I am still going to wait a month before adding CUC to give them a huge amount and let it stabalize, but the water parameters are showing NO cycle...I mean srsly, like ammonia and nitrates are CLEAR...

And, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the NUCLEAR LIME GREEN stuff is...like normal algae or cyano, or what, it's on the right side...

Here's an updated FTS...oh, I moved the nasty diatom rock(the top left side) back because the little mini carpet nem was all shriveled in the rock until I put it back and now it's coloring up and coming out...

newfts.jpg

kinda dirty sand

dirtysand.jpg

cute minis

minis.jpg

FREAKIN AIPTASIA!!! I'm getting a syringe and lemon juice tomorrow....this thing grew like 3 times it's size in 2 days...

aiptasia.jpg

Any idea what this is? It looks a lot different from the baby aiptasia, but it's prolly still a pest nem...

possibleaptasia.jpg

freakin crazy colored bristle....it might be a fire worm...but I don't think so

IMG_3541-1.jpg

THE CUTEST baby snail ever!!!

babysnail.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

-dahlia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

diatoms are normal...its part of the cycle...that unknown critter looks like a feather duster to me....don't be so quick to destroy an unknown hitcher until you get a positive id...I just found two Torch hitchers that initially looked like majano...

You might not see a cycle without any livestock...this is normally the case when you start with LS and LR from the LFS...no die off. IMO you should place CUC as soon as you start the tank...

dahliaheartsyou
diatoms are normal...its part of the cycle...that unknown critter looks like a feather duster to me....don't be so quick to destroy an unknown hitcher until you get a positive id...I just found two Torch hitchers that initially looked like majano...

You might not see a cycle without any livestock...this is normally the case when you start with LS and LR from the LFS...no die off. IMO you should place CUC as soon as you start the tank...

Hm...he has no tube though...?

I haven't destroyed anything except a confirmed isopod... which was ssoooo scary with the eyes and everything, and 2 flatworms....

I am still going to wait as long as possible to inject anything just to watch something grow...

You think I should add a CUC then?

What would you suggest? I mostly have just hair algae and some spindly green algae and some unknown nuclear green algae....I just though I would let everything balance out first...and I didn't want anything to die from there being a lack of algae...

WOW! lucky hitchhiker!

I'd go with at least a few hermits...they are pretty hardy and if your params are at 0 you won't shock them...remember, whats in your tank before the cycle starts usually survives (not always, but usually) as they have a chance to slowly acclimate to the changing conditions.

If you are concerned you are starving them, feed them some flakes or brine or something...plus that will help the cycle.

FWIW I usually start my tanks with 1.5 CUC per gallon...using a mix of hermits, Cerith and Nass...never caused me a problem and never lost anything...even when I started with dead rock and sand....

I'm not putting any hermits in my 40b when it's done cycling. All they did in my nanocube was walk around and pick on my corals. Some people have luck with them, not me. I agree that the unknown looks to be a small featherduster, my NC was covered in them after I got the new rock. Get the aiptasia quick, they will multiply like rabbits, maybe a pep shrimp or two when the cycle is up to keep them down?

Looking good so far, you are ahead of me a bit. :D

...All they did in my nanocube was walk around and pick on my corals...

:huh: That's a first...??

If not hermits..then something...I didn't notice Dahlia, but do you have snails or anything besides the hitchers?

dahliaheartsyou
I'm not putting any hermits in my 40b when it's done cycling. All they did in my nanocube was walk around and pick on my corals. Some people have luck with them, not me. I agree that the unknown looks to be a small featherduster, my NC was covered in them after I got the new rock. Get the aiptasia quick, they will multiply like rabbits, maybe a pep shrimp or two when the cycle is up to keep them down?

Looking good so far, you are ahead of me a bit. :D

Hm...I have a ton of feather dusters already, have since the 1st day, varying from clear, to white with spots, to red, and this doesn't look like one...but I dunno...

I freakin love hermits, I had 2 land ones when I was little and they remind me of the good ole days...I HAVE TO HAVE THEM!!! maybe if I keep them feed they will just lay around like thanksgiving day...did they seem to pick on certain corals more than others?

Yep...looks like it... :lol:

:huh: That's a first...??

If not hermits..then something...I didn't notice Dahlia, but do you have snails or anything besides the hitchers?

No, nothing I bought and put in...just hitchhikers....

thanks for the advice BTW!!!

Hm...I have a ton of feather dusters already, have since the 1st day, varying from clear, to white with spots, to red, and this doesn't look like one...but I dunno...

I freakin love hermits, I had 2 land ones when I was little and they remind me of the good ole days...I HAVE TO HAVE THEM!!! maybe if I keep them feed they will just lay around like thanksgiving day...did they seem to pick on certain corals more than others?

No, for the most part I dont think they were actually picking on the corals but they kept harassing them by walking around and picking things off of them. My emerald crab used to pick pieces off of my mushrooms and zoas, I tried to spear his ass with a skewer but couldn't catch him. Crabs.........good for eating, not much else. Lol, good luck with them.

No, for the most part I dont think they were actually picking on the corals but they kept harassing them by walking around and picking things off of them. My emerald crab used to pick pieces off of my mushrooms and zoas, I tried to spear his ass with a skewer but couldn't catch him. Crabs.........good for eating, not much else. Lol, good luck with them.

+1 on the crab...if I don't keep mine fed he picks on the SPS....about ready to get banned to the fuge...

The hermits were most likely picking off algae and detrius from the corals...this is a good thing...as long as they don't try and eat the polyps or the flesh (which i have never seen) hermits are good....make sure you get reef hermits or the blue legs...they are herbivores....mostly

dahliaheartsyou

Alrighty, cool...

I just planned on a few blue legs, maybe a few scarlet...if they mesh ok...

good to know I can feed them too!

plus, I'm vegan...I don't eat any crabbies....

Damn, you just lost a few points with me -_- ...............

BTW, messy hair>straight hair IMO

::Man thoughts off::

dahliaheartsyou

p.s. not sure if anyone has told you....but fruit and veggies are actually GOOD for you...it's true!

Typical man, MUST EAT MEAT :lol:

Well, if you are a boy, same as above....

all I have to say is....

TOO BAD!!!!

That's OK....I forgive you ;) ...I'll eat an extra portion of filet mignon for you...

dahliaheartsyou
That's OK....I forgive you ;) ...I'll eat an extra portion of filet mignon for you...

And I'll forgive you for that sentence.

;)

uh...I <edited>...don't get all nasty on me.... :haha:

ummmm...ok...what were we talking about.... :blush: oh yea...your tank.....I think.... :unsure:

ha, are you drunk and posting again? hahaha j/k

That's a big negative, but any thread with reef tanks and girl on girl talk has my full attention. BTW, probably a bad move posting that in here, your bound to get a flood of PMs.

That being said, you HAVE to let me use that in my sig........only with your permission though ;)

dahliaheartsyou
ummmm...ok...what were we talking about.... :blush: oh yea...your tank.....I think.... :unsure:

hey, I'm just saying....

oh yeah...tank... :D

Funny story... I heard clicking noises just now....

I FREAKED OUT!!!

started putting my ear up to the glass all sneaky like...

and then looked in to find......

the glass thermometer had come loose in the back chambers and was hitting the wall.

DO'H.

hey, I'm just saying....

I FREAKED OUT!!!

the glass thermometer had come loose in the back chambers and was hitting the wall.

DO'H.

Lolz

hey, I'm just saying....

I FREAKED OUT!!!

DO'H.

:lol: Good one....I had a Mantis hitcher that was clicking so I would have done the same thing....

Archived