Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cool find, 5 outlet GFCI adapter

badbread

masterbuilder

Yep...Home Depot should have them.

EDIT: Be sure and get the right size, same as the one your replacing or maybe 5 amps more if your using big MH lamps.

Reef Chicks

I think Kraylen knows the definition, he was just givig me a hard time for missing a letter in the acronym (the C). But that is how they call them around here: GFI.

Hellzbellz
If you want a GFCI that works and is reliable. Get a circuit breaker type, you know the ones that go in your main circuit breaker box. They are 10X better and you get to protect more than one outlet as a side benefit. Code let houses get away with a GFCI thats at the plug, but commercial/industrial/hospitals require the circuit breaker type due to the fact that they cant live with false trips or worse not tripping and tripping when power is restored after a power outage. So...if you want one that is set and forget until it saves your life...try one.

I am a contractor and I quit using the "at the plug" GDCI in all the higher end houses I build. Safer, more reliable, less call backs for me. I cant tell you how many times I have been called with a complaint that an outlet doesnt work. Not one call with a circuit breaker GFCI

I swapped out the one Plug I had for 2 breakers on 2 separate circuits while I was home 2 months ago. I never had problems with my plugs tripping, but I have read that they use a cheaper mechanism to detect current loss. The breakers are more expensive, I paid ~35$ for mine last time.

It should also be noted I've had bad experience with GFCI's that are wired using the plug for protection to downstream outlets. I can imagine the same error lies in using powerstrips tied to a GFCI plug.

As for what masterbuilder said about buying a size larger, the best bet is to stick with the size that is in your box. 5 amps over on a 15amp circuit puts you up to 12G wiring. Most older homes used 14 because they have 15amp circuits everywhere. You can probably get away with it, but it's just one of those safety things I like to warn folks about.

Archived