ReefCleaners.org

Cool find, 5 outlet GFCI adapter

badbread

Only $18.69 at Dr Foster and Smith. Is the shipping cost better?

Damn, didn't even notice them on that website...

<- R tard

Link please?

Why not just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up an actual GFCI outlet that you can wire into the wall? They are only ~$10 and you don't have to wait for it to arrive. Its quite easy to replace a standard receptacle with a GFCI receptacle.

Why not just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up an actual GFCI outlet that you can wire into the wall? They are only ~$10 and you don't have to wait for it to arrive. Its quite easy to replace a standard receptacle with a GFCI receptacle.

I rent and landlords don't know about the tank... I replaced all the old 2-prong outlets at my old place so I'm sure I could figure it out but I'm not sure what the landlord would do if she found my tank...

I guess I could pull the receptacle out and see how it looks.

I thought about buying that online as well, but I saw it at Lowe's for about $16-17. Might as well get it there and save on shipping. I'm definitely considering buying one for my tank.

I rent and landlords don't know about the tank... I replaced all the old 2-prong outlets at my old place so I'm sure I could figure it out but I'm not sure what the landlord would do if she found my tank...

no need to mess with the receptcale at all.

It plugs right into the outlet.

That shock buster is definatly cheaper at lowes or HD. thats where I get mine

Changine the outlets won't make your landlord know you have tanks. They'd find the tanks before they realize the outlets are changed. ;)

In any event, I rent too and first thing I did was change the outlet by the tank to a GFCI in the wall. A BIG pro of the hardwired to the wall GFCIs is they won't false trip in most ceses when the power goes out and the the surge that follows it being restored. The plug-in wall ones will 95% of the time trip in that instance. Not good when the power goes out then back on when you aren't home.

Time to look up GFCI.

In short, water (especially saltwater) can short an electrical circuit. If any electrical components get wet that shouldn't normally be wet, then the GFCI outlet will simply trip a circuit breaker of sorts and stop the power flow so you don't get zapped or worse, killed.

oh, so it serves the same purpose as the plugs with red buttons in my bathroom?

Yes, same idea as that.

Time to look up GFCI.

In short, water (especially saltwater) can short an electrical circuit. If any electrical components get wet that shouldn't normally be wet, then the GFCI outlet will simply trip a circuit breaker of sorts and stop the power flow so you don't get zapped or worse, killed.

A GFCI works by measuring the load on the hot and the neutral, and measures any current loss between the two. If it sense something like ~5mA, it will trip and close the open the circuit. You have to be careful for things with a large capatiance, as they have a higher tendency to trip GFCI's.

GFCI's don't look for a short - they look for electricty not flowing through the route it should be, e.g. you to ground.

oh, so it serves the same purpose as the plugs with red buttons in my bathroom?

Yes, that is a GFCI. By code in most cities, you are required to have a GFCI breaker/outlet in bathrooms/kitchens/wet places, and a lot of places are requing Arc Fault Interuptors in bedrooms now.

Reef Chicks

OK, not to hijack, but this is related and I cant find anything anywhere on it. My GFCI keeps tripping on me, especially when I am out of town, and causing all sorts of problems as you may imagine. I have an extension cord/surge protector with the following: 1) Rio 1700, 2) Rio 400, 3) Stealth 100 heater, 4) Moonlights; 5) Timer with a splitter and 250w MH on one and 4 T-5's on the other end. On the other plug of the GFCI I have a UPS and to that I have an AC 500, in case of power failure (very often these days).

So don't flame me... I am pretty handy for a girl but I am lost in electrical issues... am I overloading the circuit and thus all the tripping? I have tried removing things but it seems to trip anyway. Or can a faulty MH ballast be the cause? I ask this because my new bulb keeps dimming on me. At times I have thought about the timer being the problem. What do you guys think... beside me hiring an electrician, of course (that's next).

OK, not to hijack, but this is related and I cant find anything anywhere on it. My GFCI keeps tripping on me, especially when I am out of town, and causing all sorts of problems as you may imagine. I have an extension cord/surge protector with the following: 1) Rio 1700, 2) Rio 400, 3) Stealth 100 heater, 4) Moonlights; 5) Timer with a splitter and 250w MH on one and 4 T-5's on the other end. On the other plug of the GFCI I have a UPS and to that I have an AC 500, in case of power failure (very often these days).

So don't flame me... I am pretty handy for a girl but I am lost in electrical issues... am I overloading the circuit and thus all the tripping? I have tried removing things but it seems to trip anyway. Or can a faulty MH ballast be the cause? I ask this because my new bulb keeps dimming on me. At times I have thought about the timer being the problem. What do you guys think... beside me hiring an electrician, of course (that's next).

If your T5s are on the gfci then it could be that's tripping the circuit.

You have something leaking current. My suggestion would be to try and plug in each to see if it trips when you turn it on. Perhaps keep all of 'em on one circuit and try each on the GFCI that trips until you narrow down the equipment. The other option would be to measure current between the tank and ground (if you have a grounding probe) with each item. You should be able to see a noticable difference when you find the leaky item. Does it trip mid-use or when you turn it on?

Reef Chicks

It trips mid-use, and it waits until I am out of town to do it. Every time I go out of town something trips this darn thing and stuff dies. I have a fellow reefer who comes by once a day when I am gone just to check if it has tripped (feed and top off also, of course) but of course, it happens when he is not around. It is really frustrating to have a beautiful reef one day, go away for a couple of days and come back to dead stuff eventhough the tank is being looked after.

It trips mid-use, and it waits until I am out of town to do it. Every time I go out of town something trips this darn thing and stuff dies. I have a fellow reefer who comes by once a day when I am gone just to check if it has tripped (feed and top off also, of course) but of course, it happens when he is not around. It is really frustrating to have a beautiful reef one day, go away for a couple of days and come back to dead stuff eventhough the tank is being looked after.

it could also be your heater.

i was having the same issue (also w/ a stealth 100w) and found that the heater was the cause -even though it's not leaking current it trips the GFCI when it snaps on and off. i also have t-5s (a tek 4x24) and the same outlet (where the GFCI was plugged in) was connected to my LCD tv. whenever i'd turn on the tv, it would also trip. an electrician told me heaters can cause the trip due to their pn/off mechanism design. from what i understand, the GFCI senses a tiny leak in current (like a spark) and trips for safety. i guess the large instantaneous draws of current from my heater and tv (10 amps) will cause the trip.

masterbuilder

If you want a GFCI that works and is reliable. Get a circuit breaker type, you know the ones that go in your main circuit breaker box. They are 10X better and you get to protect more than one outlet as a side benefit. Code let houses get away with a GFCI thats at the plug, but commercial/industrial/hospitals require the circuit breaker type due to the fact that they cant live with false trips or worse not tripping and tripping when power is restored after a power outage. So...if you want one that is set and forget until it saves your life...try one.

I am a contractor and I quit using the "at the plug" GDCI in all the higher end houses I build. Safer, more reliable, less call backs for me. I cant tell you how many times I have been called with a complaint that an outlet doesnt work. Not one call with a circuit breaker GFCI

Archived