Coral Vue Hydros

Jewbilee's 2.5 gallon pico

jewbilee

Sctn: you're saying that would do well in that high flow bottom corner?

Definitely...seems every big clump of healthy xenia I have ever seen was in high flow...not that they don't also like other flow types to be healthy...didn't want anyone jumping all over me for that...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, most sps will be white/lighter colored in areas of growth. What you have to look for is when larger sections start bleaching.

thanks a lot evil, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

Also, for the xenia, the ones I have seen have large "stems". Are there any that do not have this long of stems? Sort of like the difference between palys and zoas if you know what i mean... I would like it to to be smaller...

Well, picked up some new zoas today from another local reefer. SHe had a great collection and I asked her to frag me some of her King Midas zoas. Man, they have such a great color to them! And I really love my local reefers, ever time I go to buy a new frag, they always throw one in for free! She gave me an even bigger frag of Whammin Watermellons. So altogether, I got about 7 polyps of King Midas and 11 polyps of the Whammin Watermellons.

post-37295-1216947979_thumb.jpg

post-37295-1216947991_thumb.jpg

Wow! I love those king midas zoas. They look great. I need some of them. You are moving along pretty quickly, your tank is really coming along!

So I picked up more frags today. A local reefer (again) sold me 4 heads of candy canes with neon green stripes and included a small branch of digita that broke off in the process of removing the candy cane colony. Heres some shots and the most recent FTS

These pics don't do the candy cane justice. The neon green stripe is very vibrant in person and it looks awesome!

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

Heres a shot of that monti cap I got. As far as I can tell, it seems to be doing pretty well. Great polyp extension and more coloration on the former white parts so well give it some more time to see what happens. Same thing with the digita. I'll have to see how it does to justify keeping it

IMG_1371.jpg

FTS:

IMG_1363.jpg

Picked up 2 shrooms and a yuma today. Each $5 from a local reefer. They are all looking good right now but I'm gonna wait a couple days to get some pics. Theyre tied down to some LRR for right now but man, that yuma is already gorgeous...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot. I'm actually getting ready to move it from VA to NY tomorrow... I've got everything basically ready to be put away just waiting for a later time at night to actually do that...

OK, so I just got the tank moved up to Rochester, NY from Virginia Beach, VA and everything is looking ok. Some corals are still adjusting but others are doing pretty well. I'm gonna test my water later on today and keep you guys updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so everything is looking much better since I reassembled the tank from the move. One question though, I am beginnning to have a lot of algae develop in and on the filter... how exactly should I get rid of this... Also, there seems to be a bit more stuff building up on the rocks than before...

I also got my Nimble Nano in the other day.

This thing is absolutely amazing. It fits right into the tiny spots in my tank and cleans so well... I took some pics to show the comparison of a nimble nano to a quarter earlier so I'll attach them here.

The corals are all doing pretty well though. The ricordea is still spreading out more and more each day. The King Midas's are starting to open up a little bit more as well. Everything else is doing great. Hopefully a picture update soon...

post-37295-1220135066_thumb.jpg

post-37295-1220135114_thumb.jpg

Well, time for a picture update. Its been a good long while since I've updated this thread with anything major but here goes.

I finally have pics of the mushrooms and ric that I got before I left for Rochester and I got a new zoa frag yesterday. I ran out in the middle of the ghetto here in the city of Rochester and picked up some awesome Milky Way Zoanthids. 7 polyps for $15 so I'm happy. They came on a nice piece of rock that fit perfectly where I wanted it as well. Anyway, heres the pics.

Ricordea opening up more and more:

IMG_1431.jpg

Milky Way Zoas: So hard to get a good shot of these...

IMG_1438.jpg

Most recent FTS:

IMG_1440.jpg

I gave the montis to a friend who actually has the proper system to care for and grow SPS. While the monti would probably have done OK in my tank, I felt bad because it wouldn't have thrived. I offered it to a friend and hes hosting it for me now.

And yes, the milky ways ares awesome... I love them. As soon as they grow out and I learn to frag I'll try and send some out to people.

Archived