Cultivated Reef

Jewbilee's 2.5 gallon pico

jewbilee

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know when I should go ahead and do a water change? I've been wondering for a while but wasn't quite sure...

Md's Finest
Does anyone know when I should go ahead and do a water change? I've been wondering for a while but wasn't quite sure...

When the cycle is over. once a week after that

I really like your scape, and i agree with airangle, wish i could get mine like that. Cant wait to see how it turns out!

How long should it take for my algae bloom? I figured having the light for a week would atleast give me something but from the looks of it nothing has started growing yet... is this normal?

Your tank looks nice. I love the aquascaping. Is the back of the tank spraypainted black?

yessir, Krylon Fusion black.

and a little update, got my water tested again today.

pH: 8.0

ammonia: 0

nitrite: 0

nitrate ~0

Algae has definitely started to grow as of yesterday. Just waiting for a little bit more growth before I add the CUC. Should be some fun times in the next coming days!

Clean up crew has been added!

I went to my LFS today and got a small clean up crew that I can build on if needed.

1 blue legged hermit

1 nassarius snail

2 astrea snails

and the bonus...

a sexy shrimp that was booted from its group of 3! I know you're supposed to get them in odd groups of 3 or more but he was booted from his group so I figured it would be ok. I'll get some pics in a bit if I can!

Well, heres a picture of the sexy!

He was kind of hiding behind the rockwork for a while and I was getting afraid that even though his group of 3 kicked him out that he was lonely which he probably is. I'll have to give it a few days and possibly fet a few more. Good news is he is now out in front dancing around all happy like...

As for the clean up crew, everything happily went to work. The only wierd thing is my nassarius and one of my astrea snails climbed up to the top of the glass and are just sitting there... the astrea starting moving around and eating for a little bit after that but now him and the nas are both just sitting at different spots at the top of the tank.

And I don't know why I had never thought about it... it should be common sense... but, snails poop... alot. hahahah yea... good times.

post-37295-1215663513_thumb.jpg

hmm, got a question for you guys.

I know my light is not the best but would I be able to run a small monti in this tank? my LFS sells very small frags but I think it would look huge in this tank assuming i could run one well enough.

Possible. If you keep it near the top it should grow, albeit slowly. Don't be suprised if the color changes though. It might be worth the experiment if they are cheap frags.

Well, some good news, and some bad news.

Bad news first... unfortunately, it appears my sexy shrimp has died. Either that or he molted and I don't think he did... I had a feeling he was not scavenging the tank for the food I had dropped in or anything and I feel it was a mixture of his insecurity of being alone not allowing him to leave the rock to scavenge for food and lack of food that got to him... I'm really upset about it right now and regret now direct feeding him... If it is indeed a molt, hopefully I'll see him in a few days...

Good news, I got my first coral today! They are blue/brown zoas with a pink ring in the middle. Very colorful guys. I got them from a local reefer and the mother colony is HUGE! He had several frags availible and snagged one with 17 polyps for $20! Most of them are fully opening with only the tiniest of polyps remaining somewhat closed. Unfortunately my cameras batteries just died so I can't take any pics other than the one I got when they were still closed but here you go.

post-37295-1216343077_thumb.jpg

Update: 2 new corals

I posted a WTB on a local forum for a single head of hammer or frogspawn since my tank is so small and a local reefer offered to sell me one for $15. So I stopped by and got it. He also gave me a tiny frag of what looks like a cap of some sort to me. I know I don't really have the light to support SPS but since he was giving it to me for free, I figured I would give it a try. If it doesn't go well, he said he would take it back. Great guy... all in all, 2 nice frags for $15. Can't argue with that. Theyre aclimating right now but once theyre in Ill take some pics.

Heres some pics of the open zoas and the new corals

Zoas

IMG_1345-1.jpg

Hammer

IMG_1346.jpg

Cap?

IMG_1335.jpg

FTS

IMG_1347.jpg

Edited multiple times...

Its amazing what my ######ty camera can do after I mess around with it for a while... I'm still amazed I got those shots of my zoas...

Ok, so after placing my hammer, I realized I'm already sort of running out of room...

Does anyone know what can live well next to (within reach of a hammer if anything at all)? And what would you guys recommend in terms of stocking? I've got another zoa frag coming on wednesday. Also looking at some mushrooms or ricordeas, but other than that I really haven't thought about it much nor do I really know what else I could do.

Heres a FTS with the regions of where I was thinking. The red I where I will be able to put stuff that won't be within reach of the hammer. The blue however is where the hammer is and can reach so something would need to be able to tolerate it.

post-37295-1216569342_thumb.jpg

I hope that is just a reflection of the light, but your Red Montipora Cap looks like it is bleached on the edge? When I first got my frag, I had to start it out low and then after a couple of weeks I finally made it to the top of the tank.

I think as long as the hammer is not under direct flow it will not send out sweepers. So you could then place other corals quite near to it, if they don't touch the hammer, all should be well. I am no expert on that, but I am sure you will get some feedback on here about that.

Looking good so far....

Wow, I really love those zoa's!

They are beautiful.

I think the red circle that you have your zoa's in now should be your little zoa garden area, then below that maybe some mushrooms or ric's.

As for a coral that will tolerate the hammer I'm not sure, but you'll get a bump anyway!

Tank is lookin' great

:)

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Sctn: No, you're right, the edges look like theyre bleaching but thats how it came to me so hopefully it will get better. I moved it to where the hammer instead so I'll take your advice and slowly move it up.

Lizzie: I was planning on making that my zoa garden :)

Gerber: I took your advice and moved the hammer down there and I actually like it better. I was able to angle it up slightly due to the curve or the branch it was on.

When the lights come on and everything opens up again I'll take some more pics.

hmm... definitely looks like theres took much flow in that bottom corner for the hammer. The tentacles are being pushed back. Well see what happens throughout the day though...

Edit: yea, as soon as it opened more, it was apparent there was too much flow. I put it back where it was and I think thats where its going to stay.

Now my question is, what can go in that bottom left corner where all the flow is.

Archived