ReefCleaners.org

AirAngel's 3.6g Piece of the Reef

airangel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mr F...yes I agree with you, painted would improve the appearance. Doesn't appear too complex, of course for one who is DIY challenged it could be.

Eager to see what you and anyone else can come up with. Going to check out her tank thread now.

This is how I set mine up. I haven't painted it yet so it's not the prettiest.

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

This is how I mounted it to the frame. I used 5mm flat heat stainless steel screws from Ace Hardware about 35-40mm long (can't remember exactly). They fit nicely in the slots in the fixture. Cap it off with acorn nuts and it doesn't look too bad. Frame was made out of 1/2" sch40 pvc.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your own.

Evil

Whoa, nice diagrams and explanations. That fixtures not going anyplace is it, lol. Yes painted would be a plus.

What size tank is yours going over?

Yeah, it's pretty solid. I'll give it a coat of paint here soon.

This is going over a 4 gallon Finnex tank that I have had set up for about 6 months. This is the same light that I did the bulb change how-to over in the DIY forum if anyone has seen it.

Maybe one day I'll actually post some real pics of the tank instead of just using it for DIY pictures :D

Ok, *finally* some set up pics. The rocks are in, may not be the final placement. I wanted to see where the ric and the feathers dusters were. I have 2 more coralline laden rocks in the Aquapod that *may* go into this pico.

picofts2.jpg

And a shot of some life on the rocks (GHA & a pair of feather dusters)

picolifeonarock.jpg

A few changes to the system.....I'm using an AC200 filter (with motor from AC Mini) on lowest setting. You'll notice the sand drifts from the higher gph flow. I'd like to thank CowKid for suggesting this mod. The AC Mini would not sit nicely on the Pico's rim but the flow from the AC200 on low was too much). The filter is running Walmart floss only right now. Not sure if will convert to a fuge or not. I've got a 10w submersible light I'm thinking about using. Decided for now to not use the Taam Rio Skimmer...would require my light fixture to sit quite high off the rim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jewbilee & others....

No, nothing yet. Waiting to hear back from cowkid on the acrylic light holder we were working on vs using those unstable blocks. Tanks doing good, finding (so far) 5 asterinas (gray w/white fronts) and can't count how many micro brittle stars. I'm just letting it chill out, my plans are to move the runt YCG out of my AquaPod, and get an astra snail and one blue legged hermit. If I can catch the goby that is, lol

Will be moving the corals as well, havent decided yet which ones. Am not in any real rush on this Pico.....doing the same as what I did with the AP, slow and steady.

This time though, I do have all the contents, its just a matter of time before it gets moved over. Once I get things moved in, I'll be sure to snap pics and update this thread

Thanks for asking :happy:

FishFreak77

The tank looks like it is coming along well. Did you make or buy the tank offline. If you bought it, where and how much did it cost?

The tank looks like it is coming along well. Did you make or buy the tank offline. If you bought it, where and how much did it cost?

Hey FF77

I bought it a while back at a LFS. Was pretty pricey for what it was, 3.6g with dividers (2) and a glass cover. It was 35.00 but I wanted more than a 2.5g and wasn't aware at the time of the Jalli and Finnex 4g that came with lites. Its a LeeMar, got it here in Tucson, a place called Desert Pets.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff

Should be getting new light holder from cowkid this coming week (hopefully). Hoping I um measured correctly and it fits. Once it gets here, there will be pics. Pics of the holder, the frogspawn, shrooms, zoas and some tree thing thats in the tank as well.

Hang tight, keep your fingers crossed with me.

Ellen

Great Ellen!

I'm looking forward to seeing the holder resolution and not you have my interest piqued with "tree thing."

Got all the digits crossed for ya!

Tree thing, lol, not sure if its a kenya tree or some other sort of tree leather coral thingie. Its a poo brown pink thing. Betcha can't wait to see it.

Ok, a wee little treat here. This is the lite holder gizmo, fingers kinked till it arrives.

post-6223-1216519298_thumb.jpg

Okay, new pics....FINALLY......not much has been going on, still do NOT have a CUC (just tossed a blue leg in to keep the Nass snail company). Corals in the tank (moved from the AP24 and basically just dropped in from one tank to the other same as the blue leg) are LEFT to RIGHT (and excuse a few blurry shots)....

on sandbed a green skirted zoanthid

green mushroom

pink or orange ricordia

frogspawn along back wall

purple & red mushrooms

(feather dusters)

(GHA -need to get an emerald crab next)

another red mushroom behind the GHA patch

zoanthid with pink skirt

candy cane

tree leather/kenya?? up front

red macro algae along back wall

green bubble algae (emerald crab where are you?)

FTS with light holder

FTSPicowithlitefrontview.jpg

FTS side view

Picowithlitesideview.jpg

Pico Reef close up

FTSPicocloseup.jpg

zoa green shroom & ricordia

zoagrshroomricinpico.jpg

Asterina on blue leg hermit

starhermit.jpg

Ricordia Blue Hermit w/Asterina

RicordiaSnailAsterinainPico.jpg

Red Macro Algae

RedMacroAlgaeinPico.jpg

Feather duster, mushrooms, GH & Bubble algae , Asterina & arm of micro brittle star

dustersshroomsghabubblealgaeasterin.jpg

Asterina

AsterinainPico.jpg

Frogspawn (that ate a head of candy cane in the AP)

frogspawn.jpg

Plans are for a few snails and blue legs, the emerald crab, hopefully I can catch the runt YCG from the Aquapod and move him into the tank as well. May add a few more small coral frags from the AP as well.

nice! i just got a frogspawn for my tank. i hope it doesn't eat any corals. :unsure:

I'm still wary of putting anything besides softies in my pico -- 9 gallons with 2x24W just seems a little under lit. AirAngel, that is one gorgeous scape!

Hi Everyone,

Awww gee thanks for the nice words. I'm kinda suprised on how it came out looking too. CowKids lite stand gizmo really adds to it, looks like a professional tank now. Also trying to get some close ups, not sure why it works for the pico but not my Aquapod. Strange!

Hoping this weekend to get an Emerald crab to mow down that lovely GHA patch, and a few crabbies and snails. Can't figure out how to catch the runt YCG from my AquaPod, as I'd like to get him out and fattened up, think he'd look cool with the black sand and background. May toss in a few spare corals that the CUC in the AP are still knocking around.

If I get to the LFS, check back this weekend for pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Mini Update:

Never got the Emerald crap. Petco ordered 3 for the coming week. We shall see. Instead I decided to mow the GHA down myself (with the aid of a 10" tweezer). Looks a lot better now but there still is some left.

Couldn't catch the runty YCG and now think it succumed to the teasing of the other YCG or the Clown or both. I bought another and added him to the Pico, along with an Astrea and Turbo snail and 2 more blue legs.

While finally doing water change on the AP, I forget to move a few small frags to add to the Pico, oh well. Looking to move a small purple shroom that keeps getting lost and knocked over.

Received a bag of asst Asterina stars so divvied them up between my 2 tanks and a friends 12g JBJ. Tiny lil buggers, some were brown , white w/grey and some were green.

Hoping to snap a pic tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed, I've lied before :huh:

Ok, the new YCG in the Pico. I just love the black sand and the yellow goby together.

PicoYCG.jpg

and the YCG hiding behind the rockwork and zoanthid

PicoYCGhiding.jpg

Archived