SaltCritters.com

HOB refugiums from E-bay

MrKrispy

Hi,

I got one of the 12x12x4 refugiums from "acrylic city" off E-bay for my 10gal. Anyone else buy one of these? I am concerned with overflows/power outages because the fuge is 12" high and so is my tank. Are the actual output tubes lower or higher than 12"?

I am assuming there isn't enough water in the fuge to drastically overflow my tank if the pump dies or the power goes out. Or maybe I am just dumb and haven't really thought it thru....

ELGORDOINAVW

man i would not put that on your tank. instead give it to me and i will see to it that it is properly disposed of. in the long run you will be glad you did it. oh yeah and i will even pick it up

look in the members tank several have them on their tanks you may want to pm them

Well gee....I would take you up on your offer but I haven't even got to play with it yet! Talk to the acrylic city guy, very nice and helpful, willing to work with you.

I have to figure out what kind of pump to get and whether or not to have it higher than the tank....

Your concerns are valid, as they do have the capacity to flood a nano. The designs, which I have made critical remarks about in the past, are not designed with nanos in mind. Another gentleman bought one for his bowfront and had bubble problems bacause he bought the skimmer/fuge combo. The thing is, Im sure the design would work better on a larger tank, but if you are just getting a fuge, I doubt you will have as many problems. Just make sure the input and outputs for the fuge are as low to the surface of the main tank as possible. This will prevent bubbles. Also, cut down the pipes, as they extend too far into the nano...you may end up with your pipes in the sand if you dont. Then drill a mico size hole in each pipe inside the fuge just below the water level of the fuge (the level noted while it is running). This will let a trace amount of water enter through, but provide you with a much needed syphon break should the power go out. Maybe these issues have been dealt with since the last time I have dealt with these fuges, but just in case...

outstanding, thanks for the help. Very informative. When I get my camera fixed I will post a pic of it...

BTW, anyone looking to get a fuge from the acryliccity guy, he will modify them for you, just ask...

I have one of his small ones a 20 gall -- I quite like it. And so does my bryopsis jungle ;)

And, well, so do the micro stars, worms, 'pods, and those weird, tiny, multiplying snails I got from another reefer. I'm now cyano free, and I'm working becoming bryopsis free (at least in the main tank).

wetworkx:

I just set up my Aquafuge 18" and thought they would have incorporated the siphon breaks into their design. However, they did not, so now I have to find something to use to drill a tiny hole in there, because it backsiphons almost 1-2 gallons, way too much for my 10g. Luckily my water line was pretty low when I tested it out.

-moore

• 1 month later...

*BUMP*

For anyone looking to put one on a 10g.....

I set mine up a few weeks ago, runs great but I am having a problem with air bubbles. I fastened bonded floss over the outflow end (because of my lettuce slug) and that helps a little. There is a slight gap in the overflow compartment that allows in air while the water is flowing back to the tank. Ugh!

Anyway: I have the fuge approx 4 inches higher than my tank, supported on a 2x4. I took the powerhead out of my tank, and put a maxijet 400 in the first fuge compartment. The fuge overflows in to the tank, so if the power goes out only about 0.5g overflows in to the tank. Pod feeding time! Anyway, when the power kicks on it just starts back up, no worries.

I will try to get photos if anyone needs them. Kind of hard to see.... Let me know if you need plumbing dimensions..... (!)

*EDIT* I didn't bother with the siphon break holes....

Yea, photos will be great! I am contemplataing buying one for my 12G from this guy and anything that will help me lean toward the purchase will help. I really didn't see the value in having one, but after reading the comments on the refugium forum, it looks as if it's actually worth it.

Thanks

Well I tried to get some shots but my tank/fuge are up against a ledge to a window, so I couldn't get the behind or side shots. I will try to have someone take a sideshot for me while I hold all the cords away. Here are best I could get for now:

Looking down from above:

I put some cheese cloth over the outflow tube and poked some holes in the bottom half. This keeps it from backing up and overflowing the fuge, and allows stuff to pass in to the tank. The air slowly comes out thru the top half of the cloth. I used a rubber band to hold it to the 90 elbow, no idea if rubberbands are bad in saltwater....

It was a tight fit. I put the tubing on the input (because I pull water FROM the tank, not TO the tank remember) and then crammed it down the compartment. I filled the fuge with SW and started the pump. No probs, just air at first.

BTW, I am still having severe bubbles from the output overflow, but I think I came up with a good fix using a t-pipe and reducer bushing. I have to let the sealant dry and I will post pics if it works...

Originally posted by MrKrispy

BTW,  I am still having severe bubbles from the output overflow, but I think I came up with a good fix using a t-pipe and reducer bushing.   I have to let the sealant dry and I will post pics if it works...

I had the same idea... worked perfectly for me!

The cheesecloth started to get clogged after a couple of days, so I had to poke a few larger holes in it. The bubbles were diminshed but I was still getting some salt on my light and behind the tank. I tried something else (next post)

Here is the cheesecloth...

Here is the new friggin contraption...

I tried a t-pipe, connecting the left side to the out flow, and assumed the upper port would allow all of the air to flow out, and the water would continue to the right side port. Well, it didn't work out so hot either, still splashes. This one below is too big, but I don't get a single splash from the few remaining bubbles. I used parts on hand, so I am going to see about getting some smaller piping...

I tried to ad a reducer and a elbow to the return, now there almost no bubble, but the water level in the fuge is 1/8 inch from overflowing, the level went up about an inch. I an going to try to use a larger elbow to increase flow. Also, if i turn off the pump, the water siphons back to the main tank through the intake and over flows the main. Where and how do I drill holes to creat a siphon break?

this may not be the most favorable way for directing the flow out of the fuges, but eliminating the bubble problem can be tricky on these (whadddiidyitellllyyoooouuu!!). I have an idea I use on one of my DIY injection skimmers that makes such a massive amount of bubbles that I have to run a large diameter drain pipe straight down into the sump to keep them out. You could remove all elbows into the tank and extend your return line straight down until it almost hits the bottom of the tank. The bubbles will have a hard time continuing to flow down in the tank as the depth increases and the pressure rises...eventually the bubbles will just remain suspended until they collide with each other...combine to form larger bubbles...and gain more bouyancy until they rise up back into the fuge on their own. Use the depth pressure trait of water to force the bubbles out.

ok, then on the output, where the water first enters the overflow, attach an elbow and face it down. this should prevent air from getting in the outpu all together...like a durso overflow pipe...make sense?

Wetworx is right on the money with the elbow at the output suggestion. I had the same problem with bubbles at the output of my custom fuge and finally attached an elbow to it like he mentioned and bye bye bubbles ;)

Archived