inTank Media Baskets

Blue Spotted Jawfish

DCG1286

In all my years of reef keeping i have never kept one of these curious little fish.

I came across one at my LFS and am really considering getting one.

What are the requirements to keeping a Blue Spotted Jawfish or really any Jawfish in general.

I understand the Blue Spotted Jawfish come from deeper waters, does this affect them in any way adapting them to the home aquarium?

Anything i should be looking for before purchasing one aside from the usual, disease check (ick...), eating etc.etc.

Thanks!!!!

-DCG

On a side note they had 4 Gem tangs...beautiful but pricey fish!

A very deep sand bed is a must! You will also need to consider the way your rock is structured. They can burrow under rocks and they can become unstable! You will also need a lid as all jawfish tend to be jumpers.

Ok, so i finally got my hands on one, it should arrive at the LFS Thursday, i was shocked that they were able to get one so quickly...$150-160...when another local store was asking $350...I know...ridiculous no?

I have a heavy glass top, this should be sufficient yes? 5" sandbed, i may buy an 10-20lb. bag and add it to the tank...just to make sure.

Anything in particular i should know about their feeding habits, it says they are shy at first, and you should try feeding them using a turkey baster...

Advice is much appreciated, i am so excited that they were able to get one! :D:D:D:D:D:D

-DCG

Sorry i know i accidently posted this in the wrong section...it doesn't belong in this forum...

I can get BSJ's for 80 bucks in AZ

Unfortunately here in NY and CT...yeah...$80...no one has it...hahaha...i wish!!!

NJ same deal, expensive...

Aliasnumber1

Get some 1" PVC w/ 2 45 degree elbows and bury it where you want him, after you acclimate him in the bag just invert it holding the opening so he can shimmy backwards into the PVC and he'll be much more at ease the first day. Then get tons of rock rubble he will use every peice. If you can completely cover the top do so and check out that thread on reefsanctuary for everything else. I had 1 until recently he was the victim of a rockslide. The previous one died mysteriously, and I decided that until i get my 60gal enough was enough.

They are shy in that if the food doesn't come right by their burrow they won't strike it for the first day but they will eat almost anything that is bigger than cyclopeeze, after about 2 weeks both of mine were darting out all over the tank for food.

HTH

someone on here made a really cool home for their BSJ... forget who it was but it was out of pvc and a rather large barnacle protruding from the sand... i cant find it for the life of me though.... cool fish but seems hard to keep from my reading

someone on here made a really cool home for their BSJ... forget who it was but it was out of pvc and a rather large barnacle protruding from the sand... i cant find it for the life of me though.... cool fish but seems hard to keep from my reading

That is an awesome idea!!!!!

I would love to see it. :P

as would i but i cant find it... it maybe in someones tank thread... i looked for like 20min for it with no luck

EDIT: i found it Stoney's tank its post number 277 on that thread

That was on awesome jawfish home he made...BRILLIANT!!!! I am going out tomorrow to the store and getting what i need to make my own!!!!!!!!! :D

as would i but i cant find it... it maybe in someones tank thread... i looked for like 20min for it with no luck

EDIT: i found it Stoney's tank its post number 277 on that thread

For those interested in keeping Jawfish take a look at this thread!!!!!!!!! The DIY Jawfish home! :)

Go to the home page and check out my blue spot. I've had him since the first of the year and he's doing great! I originally did the pvc thing as well. But after he got comfy with his surroundings, he abandoned it and made his own burrows. He now has 4 in my BC29. Give them lots of LR rubble, they love it and you can't give them enough!. As far as feeding goes, my blue will eat flake food and loves PE mysis shrimp. I ffed it to him with a turkey baster. As soon as the baster is in the water, he immediately comes up to it and starts to chow down! They are avid jumpers, so make sure you have the top covered! Good Luck and keep us posted with pics!

BTW, for a lot more info on them, check out this link:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...espot-club.html

Go to the home page and check out my blue spot. I've had him since the first of the year and he's doing great! I originally did the pvc thing as well. But after he got comfy with his surroundings, he abandoned it and made his own burrows. He now has 4 in my BC29. Give them lots of LR rubble, they love it and you can't give them enough!. As far as feeding goes, my blue will eat flake food and loves PE mysis shrimp. I ffed it to him with a turkey baster. As soon as the baster is in the water, he immediately comes up to it and starts to chow down! They are avid jumpers, so make sure you have the top covered! Good Luck and keep us posted with pics!

BTW, for a lot more info on them, check out this link:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluesp...espot-club.html

Thank you so much for the article! Actually it was the picture of your Jawfish that set my mind on getting one!

Well i have a heavy glass cover, however the back 2-3" is open...I have loads of eggcrate to cover it...what if i used some sort of mesh material??? I don't want to run the risk of him jumping!!! He should be in Thursday, so i will be home to babysit the tank to make sure all is well throughout the weekend :).

I figured i would start with the PVC just for instant security then of course nature will takes it's course.

I will definitely keep you guys posted with pictures...first time keeping these little ones, they are just too irresistible and seem to have such personality!

-DCG

I would definately cover that opening. I have already rescued my blue spot from the rear chambers a couple of times. I think you'd be fine using the mesh. I used some plastic gutter screen I got from Lowes. I cut it to fit and seems to be working so far.

oh my fraggin gosh!

I live Nyc and I got mine for 99. =)

Am thinking of giving it away though. Going BB in a new tank.

Ok, so i finally now got my hands on the Blue Spotted Jawfish...The place i had ordered it from couldn't get them...and so finally i came across one!!!!!

It should arrive Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just getting ready to build it's new home from PVC pipe! :)

Will post pictures as soon as i can!!!

-DCG

House of Fins in Greenwich, CT...Great store...expensive as hell though...But extraordinary quality

http://www.houseoffins.com/

There you go...you want anything rare...almost always guaranteed to have it...I came across some beautiful Tri-colored Tangs there...Gorgeous specimens...:D

-DCG

PS: Even if you don't buy anything just taking a look is worth your while, if you are on the East Coast!

I was thinking since the disaster i had with the Cardinal fish a while ago in my established tank...Do you think it would be wise to visually acclimate the Blue Spot before adding him to the rest of them????

Thanks!

-DCG

Alright so my BSJ has come this morning!!!! Woohoo!!!! I am acclimating him now!!!! I built his home this morning from the PVC piping and all looks good...there are a lot of pieces of rubble for him to surround his home with!!!! He is about 2.5-3", i will try to load some photos at some point today...or tomorrow.

I modified my cover, so that he cannot jump out, and the girlfriend is bringing some extra mesh to really make sure he cannot jump!

I am so excited, looks like a really beautiful specimen!!! :D

Mr. Money Bags is his name ;)

-DCG

Alright so my BSJ has come this morning!!!! Woohoo!!!! I am acclimating him now!!!! I built his home this morning from the PVC piping and all looks good...there are a lot of pieces of rubble for him to surround his home with!!!! He is about 2.5-3", i will try to load some photos at some point today...or tomorrow.

I modified my cover, so that he cannot jump out, and the girlfriend is bringing some extra mesh to really make sure he cannot jump!

I am so excited, looks like a really beautiful specimen!!! :D

Mr. Money Bags is his name ;)

-DCG

awesome! They are gorgeous little guys and I would one day like to have a big tank just for jawfish!

Archived