Innovative Marine Aquariums

JLTRUK's 12gal JBJ Nano Cube

JLTRUK

2w per gal is very low light

It is but softies are still possible. If they know what they can keep under that light then there is no reason why that tank will not kick a$$. Watts per gallon is a ok way to get an idea of your light levels but no way to tell anything about your light.

Good luck on the tank

JJ

reefan thats what I'm talkin about man...

Seriously you can even have some of those softies without the 50/50 and just some homedepot lighting

I know it cuz I've done it before:)

• 2 weeks later...

JLTRUK: How much room is there underneath the hood? Would you be able to measure it, i would like to see if i can find any retro fit kits to install under there. I'm in NYC, and nobody has this tank yet so i cannot see it in person. Maybe 96watt quad might fit?

Thanks,

Steven

I can measure whatever you would like, can you be more specific though as to what it is you would like to have a measurement for...would you like the measurement for the area that the light is currently in? or the entire area under the hood?... well the area the light is under is 13 inches wide( left to right) by 6 1/2 deep (front to back)

HTH:)

I would like to know the total free space available under the hood if you were to take out the stock 24watt fixture. I like the clean look of the hood and i'm hoping to be able to upgrade the lights.

But if its only 13x6 then there's probably no other option. Do you think another 24watt fixture would fit under there? Making it 2x24watts.

useable space under the hood is 14 inches wide (left to right) and 10 inches deep (front to back)...this includes about 3 inches over the back built in filter (so no light would hit the actual tank here)

You can add another light in there, you would need to cut into the reflective material that is infront of, above and behind the current light though. The light sits encased in a reflective ficture...when you open it up the reflection makes it appear you have 2 50/50 lights.

Here's my cube, aka The Tank O'Rock/Club Amonia.... Cycling is fun!!!

Sorry about the poor pic quality-- there's supposed to be some color in there

;)

• 2 weeks later...
static69static

I just got one of these around a week ago. Right now I have sick mushrooms and some sick green star polyps in it. They have gotten totally better and the polyps look great. It is very bright light and I have seen one setup with frogspawn, rics, and a leather that has been setup for a few months. All looks great. I too am thinking about adding a light but after looking at it, would be difficult, I think the only thing you can add is a 1x13 watt light. Due to the fact if you cut into the straight reflector piece to make room for another light, you will see that the ballast is behind that. So I have no idea, I'm kinda waiting it out for someone else to experiment and post some results. Since being a student, I can't afford to mess up this tank. I'm sure you can also put a 13 on the flip up hood, as long as you cover up the light somehow. Is the AH supply 13 watt sockets water proof?

• 3 weeks later...

just got my nano cube set up today don't have much in it right now. only have 8pounds of live rock and 5 pounds of livesand. i'm gonna go get more live rock on sunday. probobly some more sand too. but yeah i'm loving this thing. this is my first nano so i know i'm in for a big adventure haha. gonna let it run for a few days and then add a fish or so... no money to get any corals right now.

• 3 weeks later...

hey JLTRUK, do you have any newer picts of your 12 gal? It looked good in August. I wonder if your Sally Lightfoot is still in there, it isn't listed now on your specs.

Archived