Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimberly's 10g

Kimberly63

Kimberly63
Sorry to hear about your torch. I'll eventually put one in my 40 but I know I have to be very careful with regard to placement.

As for your light, you could make a stand from pipe or pvc that the light could hang on. I've seen variations on several tanks here.

Pardon my lack of paint skilz:

2564870985_0a646921b4_o.jpg

Wow that's a great idea! Thanks! I never would have thought of something like that :D

Yes my torch coral harrassed and stung everything it could 8" or 9" within it's area. :angry:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just came back from the lfs and I got 2 new additions to my tank. I got a two mouthed light orange ric (which I could kick myself because today I was looking in my tank and thinking that I had too much orange colored corals in there) and I got a green clown goby - both for $23. The goby is hiding behind some rock right now peeking out every once in awhile. lol. he's got beautiful color to him. I had asked if they had a tail spot blenny because I really wanted one but they didn't have any. The guy said he'll special order one for me and it should be there next week but I really don't think I should add another fish to my tank. The guy there has a crush on me I think so he was being overly helpful so I didn't have the heart to say don't bother. lol. oh well. Maybe I'll get stuck doing 50% water changes every week with a 3rd fish. :rolleyes:

Once my goby settles in I'll try to get a picture of him.

Well day two and my green clown goby is still in hiding. How long will it be till he makes an appearance?

Messed around in my tank too for a little bit and I'm having problems figuring out where to glue corals. I love my rockwork but I have no places to put frags unless I glue them vertically on the rocks.

I'm trying to get my yuma's color back since it's been browned out for awhile so I've been trying to feed it and every time I try I have to fight off my pom-pom with my turkey baster and the jerk still runs up to the yuma and steals it's food. I had to keep giving him food to distract him long enough for my yuma to eat :rolleyes:. I now have him trained to hang onto the turkey baster and wait for his food to come out. :lol:

gulfsurfer101

I bought a clown goby that I never seen. I put him in the tank and he dissapeard into the rocks almost immeadiatly. I only saw him come out twice and can only assume he's dead since it's been over four months that I've even thought I've seen him swimming around in there. Then again he could just be hide and seek champion of all fish nano.

Wow 4 months? Maybe other fish are harrassing him when he comes out? :huh:

Not sure why I decided to get such a shy fish. I just hope my clownfish doesn't decide to start harrassing him. :o

Okay so I've been slacking a little. I decided to post up some updated pictures of my tank. My pics aren't the greatest because I'm using my phone. :)

Some kind of tiny purple and blue-ish polyps:

purplepolyps.jpg

My Eagle Eye zoas:

eagleeyes.jpg

green star polyps:

gsp.jpg

Fire n Ice zoas and can't remember what the greens are called:

firenicengreenzoas.jpg

Armor of God zoas:

armorofgod.jpg

Neon green zoas:

greenzoa.jpg

Yuma that I'm nursing back to health:

yuma.jpg

My monster-sized chocolate paly:

chocolatepaly.jpg

Orange ricordea:

orangeric.jpg

Some type of pink paly:

pinkpaly.jpg

Pink and purple ricordeas:

pinknpurpleric.jpg

New neon orange ric - might be a rainbow:

babyorangeric.jpg

Green mushroom:

greenshroom.jpg

Hammer coral:

hammercoral.jpg

Here's my clownfish:

clown.jpg

And my new green clown goby that never comes out:

greenclown.jpg

FTS:

fts.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments! :) My tank looks so empty but I've been broke. :( Figured I'll save money for a few months till the Ohio frag swap in October and really go all out and fill up my tank a lil cheaper than what i'd pay at an lfs.

I also thought about either selling my biocube or turning it into a planted tank. I have a small hex tank that I use for quarantine so I really don't need the biocube anymore. I almost hate to part with it though because it's a nice tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't posted in a loooong time so I figured I'd do an update:

I'm pretty sure my green clown goby has ick. His fins look like they were chewed off and he's all bumpy and he has some white speckles. *sigh* I got him in QT right now. He looked great 2 days ago. Last night I looked at him and he looked like he was covered in warts. I figured he got stung by something. Poor Mr. Goby. :tears:

I went to my local aquarium club meeting yesterday and I got some nice goodies! My friend Steve gave me a piece of xenia - not sure yet of the kind, some blue snowflake cloves, and a piece of birdsnest SPS to see how it would do in my tank. Its kind of a tan color with bright green polyps. Very generous of him! Then I won 2 heads of frogspawn at the mini-raffle. It's dark green with purple tips - very nice coral! My favorite coral now is the snowflakes. I couldn't believe how tiny they were!

I had to rip my tank apart tonight to get my goby out and into QT so my rockwork is a mess and so are my corals. As soon as I get things lookin purdy I'll post some pics of the new stuff. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having different problems arise for the past few weeks and I'm getting very irritated. :angry:

First I had a colony of 100+ polyps of zoas and they are slowly dieing off. I've been checking them looking for pests and nothing. water parameters are 0-0-0, all my other zoas look great. Well low and behold, at night, dozens of amphipods were making a midnight snack outta them! A couple days ago I did an iodine dip and it didn't seem to help so tonight I was looking in with a flashlight and they were chomping down in there so I did a FW dip instead and a dozen or more amphipods jumped off the rock. I just did a 15 second dip just to kill the pods so we'll see what happens within the next couple of days.

Then I just had to tinker some more so I took a frag plug that had 2 ricordeas on it and tried to break the plug in half between the 2 rics and riiiiipppppppppp there goes a ric -right in half. *sigh* hopefully it'll pull through - I was supposed to give one to my friend Steve next weekend, but he might have to wait a little while... -_-

• 2 weeks later...

The ric recovered and I just gave it away today to my friend steve. :) Yes those darn pods ate at half of my radioactive dragon eyes. It was a large colony too. I have to wait till night-time to do a quick fw dip and they all fly off - dozens at least. since I did the first dip and killed most of them off, my zoas have recovered. I only dipped for maybe 10 or 15 seconds.

I got some more goodies from my friend again today! He gave me some beautiful zoanthids. I got a nuclear green paly, a zoa that looks like an RPE with a sparkly mint green center, some purple ones with a light green mouth and some green ones with purple mouth and skirt. Also he gave me some tiny tiny bright orange ones that he said are called Happy Samaritans. Each polyp is this big: O no kidding! They haven't opened yet in my tank - I'm still waiting. :) I got all 5 frags for only $30 which was a very good deal. Now I owe him some AOGs :)

I'm really not satisfied with how my tank looks right now so I'll be waiting to take some pics when everything isn't spread all over my sandbed. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
I got some more goodies from my friend again today! He gave me some beautiful zoanthids. I got a nuclear green paly, a zoa that looks like an RPE with a sparkly mint green center, some purple ones with a light green mouth and some green ones with purple mouth and skirt. Also he gave me some tiny tiny bright orange ones that he said are called Happy Samaritans. Each polyp is this big: O no kidding! They haven't opened yet in my tank - I'm still waiting. :) I got all 5 frags for only $30 which was a very good deal. Now I owe him some AOGs :)

Wow, I wish I had friends like that. :P Can't wait to see pics of the new coral.

• 2 weeks later...
squirrelieygrrrl

sweet tank kimberly,

we need updated pics! lol. ill be tagging along on your tank thread. once youve gotten an updated fts, i had started a 10gal fts thread. we would all love to have your tank's fts on there. if you cant find the thread just pm me and ill give you a link. we need updates!!!!!! :P

~squirrel

Lol - you brought my tank back from the dead. :lol: I agree I need to get some updated shots up.

I'll find some batteries for my camera - I can't promise it will work because I've been having problems with it, but if it doesn't, I'll use my crappy phone camera. :P

+1 on the new pics and the updates, so you are from kiski where do you go for your supplies? I actually go to a private shop in indiana, you have to make an appointment with the guy. he runs the shop outta his basement/garage area... his corals are awesome and cheap, I used to go to gittlers all the time and elmers. I definately like bretts shop better. his site doesn't do the shop much justice but just in case you want to come up to indiana and take a look http://www.coralreefkeepers.com/ tell him Ian send ya haha

Well I'm not from kiski, I went to Apollo Ridge - I just moved to this area last year. It depends on what I need for my tank. If I need salt, I go to Isemans in Ford City or The Fish Bowl in Apollo or Elmers in Monroeville. I never heard of gittlers. I should prob check that place out in Indiana how do you get there?

+1 on the new pics and the updates, so you are from kiski where do you go for your supplies? I actually go to a private shop in indiana, you have to make an appointment with the guy. he runs the shop outta his basement/garage area... his corals are awesome and cheap, I used to go to gittlers all the time and elmers. I definately like bretts shop better. his site doesn't do the shop much justice but just in case you want to come up to indiana and take a look http://www.coralreefkeepers.com/ tell him Ian send ya haha

Archived