BustytheSnowMaam

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theoldman

tasha

your tank is so beautiful.

Your work is an inspiration to me.

After reading this post and looking at the beautiful pictures I believe your work inspires many others also.

Your low tech approach and your knowledge give great results.

We are all learning from you.

thank you.

BustytheSnowMaam

Aack.

Some of you might know my clownfish story- had a pair of clowns for almost 7.5 years in my 10 gallon, and one night, the female jumped (there was about a 1 inch opening in the back for the HOB filter). A few days later, the male followed suit (I think he missed her, he seemed so lost w/out her).

So, the remaining resident fish of the 10 was my sixline. He never bothered the clowns. I waited until I could bring myself to buy another fish to replace those clowns, then went to the LFS on Thursday night.

I looked at all the fish, and they were either too big for a 10 or I didn't know enough about them to purchase it. Then I saw the tank full of juvenile tank-raised clowns. I even saw a cute little misbarred one. So...my impulses got the best of me (impulse buys are never good IME) and I bought a pair of the little clowns.

Tank lights were off when I returned home, and I guess the sixline was sleeping. Dropped the clowns in and they seemed happy in their new home. No problems, right?

Wrong. I wake up in the morning, tank lights are on- and the sixline is beating the snot out of both clowns. One was bleeding in several places, and both had very ragged fins. I first tried to catch the sixline- but sixlines are sneaky little boogers. I have way too much coral in that tank to take everything out to catch him.

IMG_9238.jpg

You can see how ragged their fins are- they were intact and well-defined when I bought them. I love my little misbar!

Sooo, as quick as I could, I snatched them both up in a net and having nowhere to go with them, I dropped them in my 30. There are now SEVEN fish in this tank. Too many. They're a happy little pair- they don't bicker and they eat well. I may give them away, but for now I need them to heal up a little bit. I'm trying to think of a way to catch the sixline. If I could take him out for few days, re-introduce the clowns, then put the sixline in- maybe he won't be so territorial.

What do you guys/gals think? Questions, comments, expressions of joy? :P

Tank looks good. starve the sixline for a few days and then trap it with a bottle trap. Even without LR or coral you wouldnt be able to catch it, they are too fast. You almost always have to trap them.

And yeah, they are mean.....I had one that thought it was tough until it met my 3" black female occe. She whooped him once and that stopped all aggression.

I think worth a try to take him out for bit and let clowns in for while alone.Lol maybe while at it could get a new ten since you wanted to replace it anyways,This way maybe could redo rock work a bit or something so when mr sixline comes back into the tank it looks different to him lol :rolleyes: I bet in the end it will all work out.

• 3 weeks later...

you have an amazing array of coralline algae! I've never seen anything like that in even a MH lit tank. it looks great and good luck with the rest of your fish!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived