Cultivated Reef

Tashayar's 30- FL/Carib biotope, sunlight-only

BustytheSnowMaam

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunlight seems to do my tank good as well.

I have some mermaid's cup algae sprouting from a piece of rock I've had since I started. I've never had this algae before and I hope I get some more!

how is doing in new home?got one of your green zoas attached to a shroom:} lol will see how fast will spread from just one.

BustytheSnowMaam
how is doing in new home?got one of your green zoas attached to a shroom:} lol will see how fast will spread from just one.

I'm surprised you didn't get a couple of hitchhiking kenya trees as well <_<

Your starfish is doing well- I added/removed water for about an hour then submerged the bag and set him free. I don't know quite how he did it but he just sort of sunk straight down into the gravel within about a minute. All I could see of him was the end of one arm. I took pics and I'll post some tomorrow. But he seems happy. Thanks so much. I feel like all the cool things I have are thanks to you :)

I posted a thread in the general forum but my female clown that we watched this morning jumped while we were out. I'm really sad about losing her.

im really sorry to hear about that :{ its more like when i look at my tank all the good stuff came from you......

BustytheSnowMaam

Here's more pics I've been meaning to add:

Sand-sifting star is doing well, you can see him under the rock:

IMG_9008.jpg

and out in the open (he moves in/out of the sand a lot)- you can also see one of my new gorgs in the pic:

IMG_9029.jpg

Kind of a nice FTS taken about 9 am this morning- I can't seem to take pics that illustrate the "shimmer" effect of the sunlight, but anyhow, you can see how pretty it is. New purple gorg from dtfleming is to the right:

IMG_9009.jpg

Another new gorg from dtfleming (sorry the shots are out of focus, gotta get the hang of taking sunlight tank pics :) ):

IMG_9021.jpg

I think that the sunlight really shows the natural colors of the tank well:

IMG_9025.jpg

Tiny-

This tank became sunlight-only by accident. The first light I ordered was too big for the tank (the site listed the width, but not the depth, of the light). I had to return it, and while I was waiting for the new light, I started liking the looks of seeing the sunlight play on it, shimmering/filtering thru the rocks. I feared my macroalgae would die off, but it didn't, in fact it pops up in new places all the time. You asked about the tunicates- the giant tunicate I had on one rock did die, but I think it was more from shipping/curing stress than anything. This rock is covered in many other kinds of tunicates and they seem to be doing fine (some are really pretty- I wish I had a good macro lens). I think you're right about the phytoplankton.

BustytheSnowMaam
Looks, great, the last pic you can see some of the shimmer against the back glass.

yeah, I really need practice getting good shots. The pics here don't quite do it justice.

I'm considering a mated pair of neon gobies next. Still thinking though.

• 3 weeks later...

Did I read that you were going to supplement your tank with artificial light during the winter months? I love the tank...so.....natural....

Simply awesome. That rock from Sealife Inc. is great. I hope the sunlit tank works for you! Please get the updates coming!

-Prof

wow, i just read through this thread again and noticed I havent even posted on it!!! Well, I must say, it looks truly beutiful and congrats on the awesome tank! I have been reading though members threads and have heard alot of good things about the place you got your LR from and it makes me wish i got my rock from there! <_< but, lets not cry over spilt milk lol. when i was planning to set my tank up, i chose an open spot in my kitchen but right before it was set up it had to move to my already cramped room. Well, as it turns out, the open spot i had was right under a window and not until after i realized that the tank recieved 3 hours of direct sunlight and 2 hours after of indirect! After that discovery, I have been looking up partial sunlight tanks and when I remembered yours I was like, 'how could I forget!?' Good Job! :D

• 2 weeks later...
BustytheSnowMaam
wow, i just read through this thread again and noticed I havent even posted on it!!! Well, I must say, it looks truly beutiful and congrats on the awesome tank! I have been reading though members threads and have heard alot of good things about the place you got your LR from and it makes me wish i got my rock from there! <_< but, lets not cry over spilt milk lol. when i was planning to set my tank up, i chose an open spot in my kitchen but right before it was set up it had to move to my already cramped room. Well, as it turns out, the open spot i had was right under a window and not until after i realized that the tank recieved 3 hours of direct sunlight and 2 hours after of indirect! After that discovery, I have been looking up partial sunlight tanks and when I remembered yours I was like, 'how could I forget!?' Good Job! :D

Thanks! About mid-August I realized the days were getting significantly shorter, so I've been putting the T5s on from 4-9 in the evening. Seems to work out nicely,everything is happy.

Pic from tonight (thanks Mud for all the new additions- can't see 'em in the FTS very well but if you could see the tank in person, they really make it look filled in- it's great!) :

IMG_9198.jpg

Some new occupants- the first is a red feather duster rock, with a sand-sifting star:

IMG_9211.jpg

and some beautiful bright blue Carib zoas from SeaLifeInc:

IMG_9204.jpg

BustytheSnowMaam
I like those zoas! :)

Thanks, they're the brightest blue I've seen- they stand out both in the sunlight and with the T5 lights.

Another shameless pic of my Carib blue chromis school (3) with my Brazilian flame angel. Hard to get them all in the frame at once:

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

Morning sunlight FTS:

IMG_9151.jpg

Holy sh!t Tasha I LOVE the living room....is that venetian plaster?

Naw, it's some kind of funky gold sponge-painting the previous owners did. It looks weird in pics but looks good in person.

Archived