Top Shelf Aquatics

The Arch Solana Experiment

archx

i have the JBJ ATO and Tom aqualifter pump and i had to put the resevoir on the shelf closer to the tank and extend to max timing for pumping and I still sometime get the auto cutoff because it takes too long to top off. Doesnt happen often though.

Have you been able to get water from the bottom shelf to the tank with the tom pump?

What I had to do with the aqualifter is suction it to the back of the tank. that made the distance from the aqualifter to my third chamber only about 14 inches. The line to the fresh water bin was something like 40 inches, but it worked most of the time.

I couldn't take the chance that the ATO will fail so I swapped it out with the stronger pump.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to do that as well and get my ATO set up. I know I have one in the garage somewhere, but it may be too tall (stick type). I had no idea id be filling those top off bottles every day. I should have realized this. I do not use the lid for the solana which doesn't help of course but I'm not going to remove that glass piece every time I need to get in there. I'm going to cut that top with a glass cutter, and put a 4 inch piece on there toward the back- that way I can run my 3 LED Current blue lights I picked up..........I don't recall if you mentioned before if you are going open top as well.

I don't use the top either. I did buy a window screen kit from home depot so I can make a mesh cover. Kinda lazy right now, but I'll probaby get around to it in a few weeks. Not sure how much I want to cover like the rear chambers. If I don't them, then there will be a open area at each rear corner for fish to jump out do to how the false wall is set up.

You have not had any issues with Tunze releasing micro bubbles into your pump/return section? Do you use any type of bubble diffusing material under the Tunze, or in the bottom of the (new) skimmer section - or anything after the Tunze and before the return section I guess I should say.

I don't have any issues with microbubbles, and don't have any diffusing material under the Tunze. I do want to put some chaeto in there though. I'm not sure if I should put it in chamber 1 or 2 yet. I'm leaning toward 1 on the chance some chaeto creeping into the skimmer. I already have the light I want to try on it. its the Rio Mini Sun.

lighting_led_taam_rio_mini_sun_fixture.jpg

I decided it was time for my CUC so I went to the lfs today and bought 8 nass, 6 astrea, 3 bumblebee snails, and 3 red hermit crabs.

params:

nitrites: 0

PH: 8.3

SG: 1.025

alkalinity: 2.8

ammonia: 0

anyway, I was checking out a display tank and I saw a tiger jawfish. It looked every bit as nice as the BSJ at 1/5th the cost. I decided I'm going to get one of these by the end of the year. There was an OSH next to the store so I went over there to check out the PVC I want to make for it's house. I have to say I remember reading a thread on this a couple of months ago, but I don't remember who's it was. If anyone knows, please let me know so I can give credit to that person.

EDIT 06/10/08: someone found the PVC thread I'm talking about. I got the idea from Stoney Water's thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1600700

I know it's way premature, but I bought a 3/4" 20" pvc pipe, assorted fittings, and a pvc cutter. The cutter was 8 bucks, and the other stuff came out to around $6. I might just stick it in the tank already and just plug up the openings until I'm ready. Here's what I came up with.

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

DSC04384.jpg

DSC04387.jpg

DSC04390.jpg

DSC04394.jpg

Not sure about the second opening. I'll probably permanently plug it up, or replace it with a straight fitting.

That; funny you show the RIO Led....I had the same light in my hand, and the guy at the lfs told me I wouldn't be happy with the light output on it. I listended to him and got the 4x1w current bar. So it's the reason I need to cut my top, and throw it on there. I wish I hadn't listened to him. The Rio light is really cool looking, and looks convenient. Nice to hear no bubbles from the skimmer. I'll have to look back on some cheato threads. That's the wispy green macro algae? And it'll grow without reverse refugium type lighting, or do you put a light over that section of the sump at night?

I'd like to see the RIO LED in action.

My Current 4x1 watt is nice, but I'd really need another bar (4x1) to really light it up at night.

That; funny you show the RIO Led....I had the same light in my hand, and the guy at the lfs told me I wouldn't be happy with the light output on it. I listended to him and got the 4x1w current bar. So it's the reason I need to cut my top, and throw it on there. I wish I hadn't listened to him. The Rio light is really cool looking, and looks convenient. Nice to hear no bubbles from the skimmer. I'll have to look back on some cheato threads. That's the wispy green macro algae? And it'll grow without reverse refugium type lighting, or do you put a light over that section of the sump at night?

I tested the RIO and it seems very bright to me, but it's how the chaeto reponds which is more important. From what I've read, you're supposed to do a reverse photo period for it so it continues growing at all times.

Hmm, I also read that you shouldn't keep it too warm and I was thinking of putting the chaeto in the first chamber where my heater is located. I guess I'll have to try it to find out.

I was looking at that current bar too (that's the powerbrite LED right?), but I thought I'd try the RIO first. If it doesn't work, I can always make it into a reading light next to my bed.

So I'm playing around with that jawfish housing and before I placed it in the tank, I decided to modify it a little bit.

At first I wanted to make it more compact

DSC04415.jpg

Then I decided a bit more room is probably needed so I extended it a bit, added a second opening, then capped them so nothing will go in a make themselves at home until I got my jawfish. I'll probably open it up and turkey baste it once a week to keep the water 'fresh'.

DSC04418.jpg

DSC04423.jpg

And if I find the jawfish doesn't like, it's pretty easy to remove and let the fish have at the sandbed instead.

yeah, every time I move the stand, it sways. I'll have to brace it like you did when I get a chance. I looked at your solana thread. Have you resolved your issues with the lfs and your tank yet?

Bah! Didnt catch this when you posted; too interested in the jawfish stuff! Anyway short answer, not hyet, but apparently its on its way either this Thursday or next Thursday depending on what truck it went out on.

oh my fraggin gosh!
So I'm playing around with that jawfish housing and before I placed it in the tank, I decided to modify it a little bit.

At first I wanted to make it more compact

DSC04415.jpg

Then I decided a bit more room is probably needed so I extended it a bit, added a second opening, then capped them so nothing will go in a make themselves at home until I got my jawfish. I'll probably open it up and turkey baste it once a week to keep the water 'fresh'.

DSC04418.jpg

DSC04423.jpg

And if I find the jawfish doesn't like, it's pretty easy to remove and let the fish have at the sandbed instead.

you're going to notice that he may ignore it at first. Probably hide out behind the rocks. Eventually when he settles down, he willeventually dive into it. don't mistake them to be shy creatures. Mine is out almost all the time now, Even out now as I type this! Don't take it out, they will use it.

On another note. I have a special order available at the LFS for a solana, and stand for 500 flat. Do you think that is a good deal? I can avoid shipping costs and hassle. But if you know of any better deals do let me know!. I'm gona stay on a $1k budget for htis project. Am debating on tunze skimmer as well and an ATO. Don't really know though -- I will definitely be contacting you soon for details and suggestions -- hope you don't mind!

Here are some pics of him out at the moment that i caught with the d80 --

DSC_0120.jpg

He was able to play with empty shells I left him there -- you'll be very proud of him haha...

DSC_0130.jpg

TBH I have no top on my tank since he is the only tank mate, and I interactive with him almost daily with hand feedings and etc. I feel he'll never be spooked by anything and with a deep sandbed, he'll be very happy. He has never tried to jump.

oh my fraggin gosh!

So just to clarify, what is the main issue with the JBJ ATO? I'm in the process of impulse buying 1k$ worht of stuff.. (not including the tank -- there goes my budget!) which is the tunze skimmer, 1/15 chiller, RK2 (since the acjr looks complicating), ph probe, and expansion kit.

I need a pump to run from the fresh water source to the tank correct? What does the aqualifter actually do? Is that the pump?

any news on the fuge light? anyone out there know if a regular 9 watt 65K bulb will work?

If you're talking about the RIO, I haven't set it up yet. However, I"ll probably go get some chaeto this weekend then on the advice in the chaeto threads, quarantine it for a few days. I can probably start using the RIO in that tank then transfer both to the main tank when ready.

Earliest I'll know would be late next week if not the week after B)

you're going to notice that he may ignore it at first. Probably hide out behind the rocks. Eventually when he settles down, he willeventually dive into it. don't mistake them to be shy creatures. Mine is out almost all the time now, Even out now as I type this! Don't take it out, they will use it.

On another note. I have a special order available at the LFS for a solana, and stand for 500 flat. Do you think that is a good deal? I can avoid shipping costs and hassle. But if you know of any better deals do let me know!. I'm gona stay on a $1k budget for htis project. Am debating on tunze skimmer as well and an ATO. Don't really know though -- I will definitely be contacting you soon for details and suggestions -- hope you don't mind!

Here are some pics of him out at the moment that i caught with the d80 --

He was able to play with empty shells I left him there -- you'll be very proud of him haha...

TBH I have no top on my tank since he is the only tank mate, and I interactive with him almost daily with hand feedings and etc. I feel he'll never be spooked by anything and with a deep sandbed, he'll be very happy. He has never tried to jump.

Thanks for the feedback on the fish. Your BSJF looks really nice, now you have me wanting to get that instead of the more inexpensive version.

I first ordered my tank and stand from fish.com. the stand was about $155 and the tank was 270 - free shipping for both. I noted my tank order issues earlier, but basically after a month of waiting decided on an ebay store that sold it for $255 + $50 shipping + california tax. In the end, the $500 you're spending is a good price since I ended up paying roughly the same amount while taking forever looking for the cheapest prices. I haven't really seen the tank for less than $250 though without any insane shipping costs. Just make sure if you prepaid or will prepay that the lfs has a good exchange\return policy and inspect the tank at the store.

The stand is of ok quality for something so expensive. you'll probably notice scratches and chips, and some of the screw heads might come off as you screw them in. Just have extra screws available. In my case, there are (3) screws for each hinge for the door. (4) screws broke - two on each hinge and are now embedded in the wood. I had to glue the hinges to the wood then screw the third screw into the wood. Its working though.

Good luck!

So just to clarify, what is the main issue with the JBJ ATO? I'm in the process of impulse buying 1k$ worht of stuff.. (not including the tank -- there goes my budget!) which is the tunze skimmer, 1/15 chiller, RK2 (since the acjr looks complicating), ph probe, and expansion kit.

I need a pump to run from the fresh water source to the tank correct? What does the aqualifter actually do? Is that the pump?

The JBJ ATO has an adjustable time duration for topping off water - 3 minutes to 14 minutes max. You have to unscrew the cover to get at the dial. I was informed by JBJ that once the max time is reached the ATO will no longer function unless you reset it (flip a switch).

Since I was using a Tom Aqualifter for moving the fresh water from the source to the tank and the rate was 1 gph or something like that, occasionally my ATO would reach the max time and then stop. So when I got home, I find my tank has lost a given amount of water. Then I'd have to manually add water since the aqualifter won't replenish it within the 14 minute limit.

Last week, I changed the pump to a stronger one (I read the mj1200 is prefered) I had at home and haven't had any issues since. However, I had to use a larger diameter tube. The JBJ has been reliable since. It's a good buy.

The aqualifter sits out of the water. An airline tube attaches to it from the source. Another tube goes from it to the tank. The tube to the tank must be less than 30 inches. My current pump sits in the fresh water so there's only one tube going to the tank. Since it refills my tank in about 5 seconds, I dialed the ATO back down to the 3 minute level

Hope this helps.

That jawfish is awesome, you are making me want a deep sand bed to keep one now. I love the house you built, keep us up to date on how that goes!

Quick question, what is the recommended sand bed depth for a jawfish?

hey nice tank! btw I noticed that you are from san fransico also. just curious, where did/do you buy your livestock?

oh my fraggin gosh!
Last week, I changed the pump to a stronger one (I read the mj1200 is prefered) I had at home and haven't had any issues since. However, I had to use a larger diameter tube. The JBJ has been reliable since. It's a good buy.

The aqualifter sits out of the water. An airline tube attaches to it from the source. Another tube goes from it to the tank. The tube to the tank must be less than 30 inches. My current pump sits in the fresh water so there's only one tube going to the tank. Since it refills my tank in about 5 seconds, I dialed the ATO back down to the 3 minute level

Hope this helps.

So you don't use the aqualifter anymore? You use the mj1200 now? Or do you need the MJ1200 along with the aqualifter?

That jawfish is awesome, you are making me want a deep sand bed to keep one now. I love the house you built, keep us up to date on how that goes!

Quick question, what is the recommended sand bed depth for a jawfish?

From everything I've read, about 3 inches.

hey nice tank! btw I noticed that you are from san fransico also. just curious, where did/do you buy your livestock?

the only livestock I've bought so far are snails and hermit crabs. I bought them in milpitas (aquatic gallery). My wife and I actually went to about 5 different fish stores last saturday just to look at the fish and corals, but we may buy some livestock from the Internet. If you go to ncnrs.org, its the local reef club in northern california and there's a section with lfs reviews.

So you don't use the aqualifter anymore? You use the mj1200 now? Or do you need the MJ1200 along with the aqualifter?

I don't use the aqualifter anymore. I replaced it with a spare Odyssea powerhead I had laying around. From what I've read though, the MJ1200 is the pump of choice for the JBJ ATO besides the aqualifter

oh my fraggin gosh!

That's great information Arch. I feel like a noobie all over again and I thought I had it down iwth my AP24. This solana project is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!! Next up, I'm probably going to bug you about controllers. I'm looking at the RK2 - I'm probably going to use it for the MH, ATO and that's all I can think of. The power heads probably just to turn off during feeding. My biggest confusion is the PH probes and etc. What's the point of having it besides measuring pH constantly? Does a controller hook up to a doser as well where it will dose pH buffers, or even calc and etc. How do you have yours set up for calcium dosing? I've read that people have done it but do you have to buy that doser as well?

Edit: that's awesome, I have a spare MJ1200 I don't use anymore.

post-36903-1212613349_thumb.jpg

I finally found a picture that would fit. 3 week old Solana. So far so good knock wood except for one set of orange polyps.

That's great information Arch. I feel like a noobie all over again and I thought I had it down iwth my AP24. This solana project is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!! Next up, I'm probably going to bug you about controllers. I'm looking at the RK2 - I'm probably going to use it for the MH, ATO and that's all I can think of. The power heads probably just to turn off during feeding. My biggest confusion is the PH probes and etc. What's the point of having it besides measuring pH constantly? Does a controller hook up to a doser as well where it will dose pH buffers, or even calc and etc. How do you have yours set up for calcium dosing? I've read that people have done it but do you have to buy that doser as well?

Edit: that's awesome, I have a spare MJ1200 I don't use anymore.

I was waiting for the RK elite to become available, but I couldn't justify spending $500 plus additional accessories down the line. That being said, I'm happy with the RK2. I read that it's not as flexible as the AC jr, but it's good enough for my needs. right now, I'm just using it for MH, T5s, lunar lights, powerheads, fan, and temperature. I have a PH probe, but it didn't come with the calibration fluids so I still have to buy that before I can use it. So right now, I haven't really looked into what the benefits of having the probe are. I just glossed over it in the manual and haven't really done any research yet. I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy extra equipment though.

post-36903-1212613349_thumb.jpg

I finally found a picture that would fit. 3 week old Solana. So far so good knock wood except for one set of orange polyps.

very nice looking tank and clean!

oh my fraggin gosh!

I don't have an outter orbit although I would love to buy one. All I'd be running is a sunpod, and that really doesn't have any flexibility as the outter orbit does. I feel as the RK2 or any other controller woudl be pointless at this stage. I will have ATO, but that should be fine on it's own. I could always buy a 250w outter orbit, but i'm sure that'd be expensive.

Very nice solana and cool jawfish home.

As for the poster asking about the RK2, i have an AcJr. Got it two days ago, very very very easy to program. I looked at the RK2 but it was too expensive. The acjr does the same if not more for less.

Archived