Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Coldwater Nano

JIM27

Oh, and if I am seeing the pics in the right size perspective, those fish are about full size now. I dont think they are sculpin either though but we just called them skippers or something like that as kids. They are all over the tidepools.

That is cool. We had a cold marine tank in one of my classes at school...had some star fish in there also some types, I dont remeber which exactly do well in that environment

also its cool because many of these species are really hardy and you can touch them and they will be fine

Sweet set-up..I think it will work out well for you. These are hardier than many people realize...trust me in a class of 32 people screwing around with them on a daily basis and it all seemed to live it will be just fine for you

touch the anemone...it sticks to your finger. Just sweep your index finger across it...its neat

Uhhh, oops! Lol I wasnt sure if it was illegal or not, I just assumed it was ok because some beaches had signs while others didn't. Oh well, too late now.

The area I found the anemone in only got what I would call indirect light plus the fact that its out of water during low tides. But if needed I have some more NO's and even some extra PC's I can put on it.

And about the fish, everything I've read about sculpins matches these guys(their color changing, behavior, etc). They also look like mini versions of what I am 100% sure were adult sculpins that I've seen down there, as well as in the San Francisco area when I used to live there.

Again thanks everyone for the comments.

i think im gonna go with jims idea for this weekend and say if theres no signs then its not illegal:D and ill pretend i never read the part about it being illegal until after i get back lol,Chris

Sweet looking tank!

I love the tidal zones of California. As for my ID'ing:

The macro on the right of the first pic...I believe it is called "Deadman's Fingers"....and the sculpin from the tidepool....you guest it...some wizard named them "tidepool sculpin" or sometimes you'll see them called "tidepool johnnies".

BTW...you didn't collect these in the Monterey Aquatic Preserve right?

Keep us posted!

yeah, that's def very illegal, I wouldn't do any more collecting. And please get a chiller for those critters, cuz I think a permanent 68 will not allow them to live very long. 68 in the open ocean exhibit versus 68 in an intertidal tank is very different. I wouldn't worry too much about the lighting on that tank. I would just feed the anenome brine shrimp every once in a while. And the fish are def sculpins. I have some experience with temperate aquariums with a teacher who had a permit to collect animals off CA.

Where in the Bay Area can we legally collect animals? I think folks can get crab/scallop licenses, right?

What are hardy specimens and what to avoid?

Could we should start a "native species" interest group for stuff we collect on our own? I wonder what's the environmental impact.

Thanks!

Lol yes I do now realize its illegel to do what I did(not that I really care) and I wont be doing it anymore so dont worry. Everything in my tank is a dime a dozen in the pools so I doubt any harm came of this. And also thanks for the warnings and everything but it seems to me that if open ocean animals can be kept at much higher temps,those which they dont even experience in the wild, then so can tidepool animals, which actually do in the wild. And yes I'm getting a chiller as I said earlier in this topic.

I cant really help with your 'what to avoid' question changhsu because I've searched a lot on the internet but I cant find anything on the captive care of native california animals. Maybe yimmerz can help since he has experience with them.

Also just a quick update on the tank, 2 of the smallest fish died in the past few days. Both were sucked into that little hole that you put an airline tube into on a PH(thats how little the fish were). I've since plugged up that hole, since I still have one little fish that could fit inside. The tank has also been filled all the way, and some minor aquascape changes were done. Everything else besides the two deaths has been fine. The anemone along with the fish eat a little brine everyday along with small chunks of octopus every other day(for the anemone).

If you're not in a marine preserve.....you may take animals from tide pools.......But you have to have a CA saltwater fishing licence and abide by all the saltwater fishing regulations.

The tidal zone is a pretty harsh environment and most things there are pretty hardy.......proly a few exceptions (like pod eaters, etc). Jim is right about the temperature issue. Tide pools can get WAY warm in the summer.....like 90-95 degrees....and these critters are used to it. Image you tank doing a 40-50 degree swing every 6 hrs. You gotta be hardy to handle that!

Interesting critters for a tidal tank:

Small Cabezon (very cool fish, has blue flesh!)

Small Scorpion fish (aka sculpin).....watch the spines, PAIN for hours!!!!)

Small Opaleye (Algae grazers)

Spiny lobster

Mantis shrimp (if the water isn't too cold, say 60-and up)

Also, Jim try feeding squid instead of octopus..it's alot cheaper! Make sure you wash it real good

umm can you say illegal you really really screwed up and if anyone ratted you out you are looking at Jail time for poaching on protected areas. So you should keep that in mind, also you need permits to collect those animals. sweet idea though how are you cooling it? oh yeah we catch monkey facde eats over 3 feet so hope you know that. Try not to collect for montery area especially because of how much tourist activity is in and around those tidepools you could always try to find area that have a little less tourist traffic.

Greenstar:

Thanks for the warnings and everything but I've been told like 5 times now in this thread that its illegal and I understand, I wouldnt have done it if I'd known. If you read one of my earlier posts I did say I know how big the eels get. If its that big of a deal maybe they should inforce these laws a little better or put up signs on all the beaches instead of only some. Again I wouldnt have done it if I'd known.

btw thanks for the link Cal.

Jim: Good to hear. I just know it is felony to take those animals. although if you do eve gfind a legal area I got ton of good sps that would be great for a nano

On The Fly: Cabazoen are good eating we just caught a few when we were up abalone diving in mendicino. I would think they were too big for 10g

Archived