SaltCritters.com

Our first reef, 10g Nano, (Verde-bay) in Charleston SC

airman_verde04

EtOH_is_good

make sure you have enough room around the lr for a magfloat. you'll want to be able to easily clean the glass without disturbing the coral too much.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04

cool! Thanks for the info. The tank doesn't get any direct sunlight. its mostly like that fills the room by the windows. I guess we will just keep the shades down until the tank light comes on!

make sure you have enough room around the lr for a magfloat. you'll want to be able to easily clean the glass without disturbing the coral too much.

Or get a Nimble Nano which requires a lot less clearance.

-hank

Wow!!! I can't believe the hitch hikers you got on your LR. the most interesting thing i got was manjano (sp?) Good luck!

airman_verde04
Wow!!! I can't believe the hitch hikers you got on your LR. the most interesting thing i got was manjano (sp?) Good luck!

Thanks! after doing some research, I found out I'm pretty lucky to have the coral in there! You should see my pink Xenia! its just getting bigger everyday! word on the street is that I can sell large Xenia's back to the LFS..

Hey, what is this filter floss stuff? I read that I can just pick up a bag of polyester cotton from wal-mart and put in filter/change at water changes. is this true? I'm already using a cartage without the carbon. I hope so! I know some say not to even bother to use the cartage in the HOB filter, but I've decided to at least use the modified cartage. (no carbon)

Carolinapico

Like the others have said, good to see another SC Reefer! Tank looks like your off to a great start. I go down to Charleston at least once a month if not more but i have not had the pleasure of stopping into Tideline yet. Headed down specifically for Tideline on the 31st though! ;)

Have any future plans for livestock or coral?

airman_verde04
Like the others have said, good to see another SC Reefer! Tank looks like your off to a great start. I go down to Charleston at least once a month if not more but i have not had the pleasure of stopping into Tideline yet. Headed down specifically for Tideline on the 31st though! ;)

Have any future plans for livestock or coral?

cool, I have to work then, but I'll take my lunch break to go to that club meeting also! I saw the date anounced for the SC reefers club or whatever it is!

OH! Well, I want some sort of black and white fish, and a clown of course, and my wife wants a yellow fish. we will not go over three fish though, It may end up, and much rather have only 2, so it may be two clowns, or a clown and a yellow fish of some sort (breed unknown at this time) as for coral, I really dont know about the coral yet. I've been reading up on the hitchhikers that I have on my LR that are growing bigger everyday now! I have one lonely Zoas, so i'm hoping he will start to make more zoas. I haven't really though of anymore coral yet.. Just getting ready for the Clean up crew, the tank is ready, so some time this week, I'll be picking up those guys, so I'll be busy researching on how to care for them also, and their habits.

There's a trick to water changes???? I put a clean bucket on the floor (just for this), put one end of a 5 foot 5/8 plastic hose in the tank, give a quick "suck" on the other end (yeah, I got a mouthful once), and it siphons into the bucket. I can do the same to add water, then there is less water flow to disturb the tank inhabitants.

airman_verde04

Hey everyone! This just In! my tank has gone 2 days with all water levels ready for life! This week should be the first round of clean up crew! I'm super excited! wont be putting them in till Tuesday or Wednesday, but i'll post pictures of what joins the tank! I guess that means I'll have to sit back, do my first water change, and let the tank cycle for another 1-2 weeks before its fish ready!! more to come

anyone know about how much of that filter floss stuff I should put in when I change it out? I plan on changing it at every water change.

As much as you feel like. If you pack it too tight, the water won't be able to get through it as easy.

airman_verde04
As much as you feel like. If you pack it too tight, the water won't be able to get through it as easy.

I agree, I mean I think I want a cleaner shrimp too, so that would defiantly max out the 3 large life forms rule I have for my little tank. I'm going to keep the CUC on the low side to start off, I'll see what the LFS says. Its alittle less opinionated their since everyone has about the same view on tank care compared to the gabillion different suggestions I'll get there.. I need to go get some kind of reef book also so I can have info on the go.

SaltWaterWannabe
I agree, I mean I think I want a cleaner shrimp too, so that would defiantly max out the 3 large life forms rule I have for my little tank. I'm going to keep the CUC on the low side to start off, I'll see what the LFS says. Its alittle less opinionated their since everyone has about the same view on tank care compared to the gabillion different suggestions I'll get there.. I need to go get some kind of reef book also so I can have info on the go.

Pictures! Pictures I want pictures :)

Hows everything goin down in SC?

Mines about ready for some life forms others than the CUC gang.

airman_verde04
Pictures! Pictures I want pictures :)

Hows everything goin down in SC?

Mines about ready for some life forms others than the CUC gang.

I have pictures on the first page, anyways, where are you located? pictures on the way!

airman_verde04

Hey everyone! ok, so my tank finished cycling. I just want to know who was going to tell me that I had to spend about 75 bucks on more test kits and new aditives. Anyways, the wife picked up our CUC today, we got

- cerith,nassarius,turbin, and netrite snails.

- 2 Mexican redtip hermits

- one cleaner shrimp, who is still tramatized from all the moving around! she didn't even want to come out for a picture.. maybe later this week

here is the updated tank view, notice their isn't any silk plant anymore!

100_0145.jpg

here is one of the snails, they didn't take that long to get to work!

100_0140.jpg

here is one my Mexican redtips having some post move dinner!

100_0142.jpg

here is the rocks our cleaner shrimp (her name is Pinky) is hiding in.

100_0144.jpg

Enjoy everyone! now is time for cycle 2! then its fish time, about 2 more weeks before fish..

Toby Flenderson

Air man How did you know your cycle was over? Did you see levels go up? My tank is very similiar to your steup in size and age and my levels are all still zero, as far as amonia, nitrite and nitrate. I wish the alge would spell out "done cycling" on the glass for me

airman_verde04
Air man How did you know your cycle was over? Did you see levels go up? My tank is very similiar to your steup in size and age and my levels are all still zero, as far as amonia, nitrite and nitrate. I wish the alge would spell out "done cycling" on the glass for me

Hey Toby, I actually keep track of all my levels in a note book, after the levels became stable for about 3-5 days, I had the LFS double check to make sure my readings were accurate. and wa-la! CUC time! Do have a list of what your target levels should be? Those are very helpful.

Toby Flenderson

I have been keeping a log of all testing done, I test amonia, nitrite and nitrate levels every other day. They have all been zero so far. PH is 8.4 and SG is 1.024. What do you mean by target levels?

airman_verde04
I have been keeping a log of all testing done, I test amonia, nitrite and nitrate levels every other day. They have all been zero so far. PH is 8.4 and SG is 1.024. What do you mean by target levels?

heres what I go by, I got these from the LFS.

PH = 8.1-8-6

Ammonia = 0ppm

Nitrite = 0ppm

Nitrate = less than 20ppm

KH = 9-14dKH (drops)

Salinity =1.016- 1.025 for fish

If you have readings of those levels for several days, then your ready to add your CUC! again, this is the info I get from my LFS from the owners. once you start adding CUC and fish, and coral, you'll need to start checking your calcium levels and phosphate levels. and you'll have to watch the Nitrate levels since from what I've been reading high levels of Nitrate are cause by fish poop and stuff. so there you go! sounds like your at the same point as me! I'd go ahead and pick up your CUC. Let your little guys get settled for a couple days and then do a water change! again, recommendations by the LFS owners.

Wow David - the tank is really coming along. I bet you were so excited to add your CUC and it looks much better without the plant! I look forward to meeting up with you and Melisa soon.

Toby Flenderson

Thanks for your help, Got my CUC, looking at your tank I think I need to be a little more artistic with my pile of LR and do a little aquascaping.

airman_verde04
Thanks for your help, Got my CUC, looking at your tank I think I need to be a little more artistic with my pile of LR and do a little aquascaping.

to be honest, I the two large flat rocks just happen to be awesome, they are non-live rock. I really didn't know what I was doing. I only started looking up other tanks after I had mine set up.. do you have a thread set up for you tank yet? i would like to see how your coming along.

Archived