Coral Vue Hydros

Our first reef, 10g Nano, (Verde-bay) in Charleston SC

airman_verde04

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to stop by and say I truly appreciate you serving our country and providing all of our great freedoms. Thank you. Keep up the Great Work and be safe.

airman_verde04
Just wanted to stop by and say I truly appreciate you serving our country and providing all of our great freedoms. Thank you. Keep up the Great Work and be safe.

Thank you for that, you know it’s sometimes hard to answer thanks from people because I really don’t think I do anything special since I'm not a "combat" Airman, (I don’t go outside the wire). but thank you.

anyways!! so I got a recommendation to hit up this www.estreetplastics.com place, and I've decided that I'm going to make this tank custom and on my own!! since I'm downsizing with fish and stuff, Its going to take a while to sell things when I get back, and frag off some corals, sell more.. sell big rocks..etc. etc.

ANYWAYSS!! so I priced the glasscages.com rimless glass tank, and with the overflow false wall, I'd be looking at eh.. 50-60$$$ shipped.. but with the Acrylic, I'm looking at $36 shipped, then $30ish for pump, glue, and little parts to make it work! Whats even better!! I can make the tank just a little bit bigger!!

SO!! The new tanks with be 12x18x9. I figure I still get about 3in shorter on the tank height which will increase the light intensity still.. (only by 3" from the 12" it sets on my current tank, but 3" more than what I was originally planned with the 6" tall cube) ANYWAYS! So I’m looking at around 8 total gallons. The display will be either 12x12x9 (@5.5g), 12x13x9(@6g) or 12x14x9(@6.5g) anyways, I’m still debating. Anyways!! The look of the tank will pretty much be the same of the last tank design. I’m still working on the sump layout and how big or small I want it. Anyways.. I’m still up and down, but I’m getting really close to what I’m looking for!! More too come!

post-36763-1238562606_thumb.jpg

airman_verde04

Hello everyone, If you have been keeping up with my page, you can see I'm in the middle of a New tank Design revolution! or something Epic like that. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192832

Anyways, I had a talk to my wife, and shes getting very stressed over my tank. A few of you out there might understand, but unlike a week or two away, but the stress and daily funtions of life becomes impossible to you during a deployment. I face my own versions of this. Its hard to get the motivation to shower, eat, clean, work out, etc etc. So in my wifes behalf, I know (since this is our second deployment being married) that since I have to force myself to eat, shower ( I do though) and most importantly get up on time to go to work, I cant emagine how hard it would be to have to do all of that and more. clean, wash clothes (they have free drop off service here.) cook (Free again for me, 24h a day) and so on and so on..

Long story short, I feel her pain trying to do such a demanding task like keeping a reef tank, and not being the one who has done it for the past 10 months. so Even 15 minutes a day might feel like a life time when she may just want to take a nap. On that, I love my wife more than my fish tank, and if she needs more time to herself, then dag on it, I'm going to do anytyhing I can (from a gabillion miles away) to give her want she wants. ( I get a letter and day, and a package full of goodies once a week, shes taking good care of me. so Its the least I can do)

Anyways. I've already put my Clowns, shrimp, and major frags and coral for sale on the local reefers site. the rest of that stuff will get sold as the tank gets emptier. (is that a word? anyways)

I'm sad to know I wont come home to my babies, but I will live, and I'll have far more time to focus on the new tank and not have a tank to worry about while trying to build a new one. I'm still up and down on which size tank design http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192832 but I'm leaning towards the smaller one, I just love compact stuff.. what can I say! anyways..

I just thought I would update everyone.. more to come!! Happy Weekend!

Just wanted to say, thank you for your sacrifice, and thank you for defending our liberties and freedom. Whatever you make, its not enough.

airman_verde04
Sorry to hear about you downsizing but if that is what you guys need to do, then don't feel bad about it.

Yeah, I'm alittle sad to say by to my Clowns, I love those guys. But the first reef tank to actually catch my eye was a pico (I think it was a picotope) with a little Clown in there (I didn't know it was fish abuse at the time) and I was like.. I want that!! I'm really excited about my pico. Its going to have the clean look I want. and I'm only going to have a Yellow Clown Goby, and going to be very very VERY!! Picky on the colors and species of coral that go in there. Not to mention QT everything (except my fish, cause it will go in there early on, dont want to over stress the little guy)

airman_verde04
Just wanted to say, thank you for your sacrifice, and thank you for defending our liberties and freedom. Whatever you make, its not enough.

Thank you, Thank everyone for such kind words in refrence to my Military Career.

as far as whatever I make, If your speaking about my pay, I guess I could agree, but my family just value our time we spend together. (but more money never hurts) If your talking about my new tank design, then we might have to meet in a dark alley somewhere and talk about this..I'll show you not enough. HEHE.. just kidding.

Thank you, Thank everyone for such kind words in refrence to my Military Career.

as far as whatever I make, If your speaking about my pay, I guess I could agree, but my family just value our time we spend together. (but more money never hurts) If your talking about my new tank design, then we might have to meet in a dark alley somewhere and talk about this..I'll show you not enough. HEHE.. just kidding.

lol, please don't make me meet you in a dark alley my wife might get jealous, :D , definately like your designs,on the new tank, kinda liked the original but can understand hoe it could cause complications also, you would have to build in some fail safes for sure.

airman_verde04
lol, please don't make me meet you in a dark alley my wife might get jealous, :D , definately like your designs,on the new tank, kinda liked the original but can understand hoe it could cause complications also, you would have to build in some fail safes for sure.

fail safes? how so?

airman_verde04

Good Afternoon America!

well, I have a updated FTS, you can see the Algae that has taken over my tank.. why, I dont know.. but Its growing mostly on the rock I got dead.. lets just say I will never buy rock that isn't crued LR every again. (reason # gabillion I'm down sizing)

post-36763-1239141165_thumb.jpg

I have no clue what could have cause this mad bloom of micro algae.. oh well... very sad..

Food for thought

* test water used for water change before ever using, test fresh water used even if its from a dispenser that says its RO/DI.

* Start saving up for a RO/DI unit.

* dont cheap out on LR.

* with future pico tank (because thats what I think I'm going with.. I'm about 89% sure now) dont miss partal water changes. (luckly I will only need to change 1g a week at most.) dose if it needs to be dosed. dont let KH and PH drop as often as it did :(

* QT all Frags!!!

* Be much pickier on what goes in tank ( types and colors of coral, CUC. meany head shrimps who like jumping on poor innocent by standing Clownfish at feeding time :angry: )

* letting tank cycle alot LOT longer than before.

* Dont lazy out on water testing, and figure out what needs to be tested weekly, and what can be done every other week, and monthly.

As far as the new tank. Plans are still coming along.. for the most part, I'm going to go with the 6g pico tank, which is 18x12x9 with sump area, and 12x12x9 display area. It just fits my plans better.. I almost shortened the tank by an inch or two, but I then decided that even though it didn't have the low profile I like as much as the cube look that with sand and rock, I will loose some of my water volume. but my sump would loose out, so I'm keeping it at 9in tall. Its going to take about a month or two to built this tank when I get back. I'm going to make this one right, my Wife will kill me if I built a tank that looks Ghetto. so I have to do a good job. and I dont want a crapy looking tank either.. If I wanted crap hanging of of everything.. and what not.. then I would just put up another 10g. anyways..

I'm planning on cycling my 9x9x6 pico tank I have at home. I'm going to mod the AC100 I have for it into a refugium for a tempory frag tank. I'm going to go ahead and cycle it. put egg crate in there and just have it Bare bottom. It will be my QT while my tank is being built and the new tank cycles also. I've had a few offers for frags already when I get home. So I would like a place to put them in the meantime.. anyways. I'm going to go get some food...Happy Tuesday everyone! (Its Wednesday here though. )

• 2 weeks later...
airman_verde04

Well,

I was hoping that I would get a larger tank before this came to be, but because of my job, I had to one more time, sacrafice my own personal wants and what not.. Anyhoo, so my tank is now left too two coral, some sand, and a CUC, which will all be gone by the end of the week. So, yesterday I had to watch my babies get taken away by a 15 year old and his dad via webcam. It was alittle depressing since I love my clowns, and I could see them swimming in the bags they brought. Anyways.. I think I will get over it all in about a week or so when I dont have to worry so much about the tank that is at home, but the one that I get to build and take with me to VA next Summer.. Aside of that.. I'm for the mostpart done with the Page. It has been fun.. anyways, I learned alot with this tank, and I plan on taking the free time I will have when I get back to build and set up the most Incredible Pico tank the world has ever seen!! EVER!! MWAU HA HA HA! hehe.. ok.. thats it!! off to the new tank page for now.

Archived