ReefCleaners.org

Pumps, pumps, pumps...

animalrie

Maxjets are great little pumps, but they don't do too well when head pressure is added. I don't see anything wrong with running an OceanRunner 2500 (600 gph) as a return pump. I have an Eheim return pump rated at 600 gph on my 40...

Ocean runners are GREAT pumps. Quiet and effecient! Very low power consumption.

Ben

The reason why I ask is because I already have a maxi-jet. I'll keep looking. What would be better (keep in mind I'll be adding a SCWD), Pan World or Quiet One?

I was looking at a 100 px pan world pump...

IMO PanWorld hands down. Quiet one pumps have a bad reputation for either not starting or just not being quiet.

I seized up my PanWorld for who knows how long one day (precipitation). The room with the tank smelled like burned up pump. I took it out, cleaned it and put it back. Now it's running like nothing ever happened.

hooligan_78
get an oceanrunner 2500 for return, im using one and its awesome

for closed loop, i dunno im kinda in the same boat

still looking for something good quiet and LOW power consumption, which only leads to eheim but im still looking

Would the 6500 be overkill on my 75?

hooligan_78
For a return pump... Definitely.

Yeah, I really didn't want that, "Tsunami in a box" effect.

glennr1978
The 3/4" SCWD is much smaller and flows less water. It has slip fitting for hose clamps and is totally sealed. The 1" is much larger and has threaded fittings as well as a screw on top for cleanout if it gets clogged. I have a 1" for sale in the for sale section if your interested, I decided against a CL for now but am going to try it later.

BUMP!!!

Also, I found a 100px pan world pump on ebay. I may bid at the last minute. Would this be a good closed loop pump?

I have the 150 ps on my closed loop and, although kind of loud, its a nice pump. I had to isolate it with bungee cords from every surface in my stand and this helped with noise. Also, mine is pushing through TWO scwds and I still get enough flow to push my sand bed around the tank. In retrospect I would have rather just run through a single 1" scwd, but this works.

I had a mag 7 as my return and it was waaaaay too loud. I'm now using it as a lift to get my RO water up from the reservoir in the basement.

I would just echo what everyone else here is saying and buy a premium pump. You'll be glad you did. Also buy new if you can help it.

My .02$

STAY AWAY FROM RIO!

If you just want LPS and SPS the PanWorld 100 might be too much. For SPS you should be OK.

Okay, I may just buy a Pan World 50 px (hopefully this will be good for SPS, softies, and LPS) for the closed loop and hopefully a VERY inexpensive return, which I don't think should be too hard to find since I'm not looking for high GPH. I found this pump (for return from sump). It says 315 gph at a max head of 3'. Sounds good, but I don't recognize a brand or anything. Should I go for it?

Or maybe this...

Okay, I may just buy a Pan World 50 px (hopefully this will be good for SPS, softies, and LPS) for the closed loop and hopefully a VERY inexpensive return, which I don't think should be too hard to find since I'm not looking for high GPH. I found this pump (for return from sump). It says 315 gph at a max head of 3'. Sounds good, but I don't recognize a brand or anything. Should I go for it?

Or maybe this...

Personally, I wouldn't go with either of those pumps. I've read tooooo many stories on this and other forums of people having problems from a pump they bought to save a few bucks up front. Trust me when I say you'll pay for it down the line. I'm really not just trying to convince you to get the top of the line... This is one hobby where you CAN NOT skimp.

If you lose a tank full of inhabitants in a fresh water tank it will cost you MAYBE $50. You lose a tank full of saltwater fish and corals and I gaurantee you are into the hundreds if not thousands.

There are a few places you can definitely save money by not going all out, but a return pump is NOT a place I'd take that ristk.

Buy a god pump upfront and save yourself the headace later on.

Ben

filefish949
Would this pump\ work well for a return? Again, where does the return hook back up to the tank?

that pump is good for a GFO reactor

and those no name ebay pumps, do not walk, run away from them

Rio has a bad rap because there are several bad storys about them, I have read a few, but there are also quite likely more rios in service than any 2-3 other brands combined. rio is about as low on quality as I would go

get an oceanrunner 2500 for return, im using one and its awesome

for closed loop, i dunno im kinda in the same boat

still looking for something good quiet and LOW power consumption, which only leads to eheim but im still looking

the OR 2500 is a great pump (not for CL) any idea where to get one for a good price, they seem hard to find

I think I see what you mean, bdare. There are oceanrunners on ebay. They are around $70. Is this about the only pump you would buy for return?

I think I'll be getting one from DFS since I have to order salt and loc-line from them anyway. So what do I do about the 3/4" inlet and outlet if I'm going to have 1" everything else? Also, for the billionth time, where does the return pump hook back up to the tank? ;)

For the different plumbing sizes you'll just need to get some reduces from Lowes. The return pump will connect back up with the tank either through drilled holes or you can pick up some U tubes from the good drs.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=14680

I made one out of PVC which worked very good with the loc-line. The key thing when putting a return in is to make sure you have some way to keep your tank from overflowing your sump. With the U tube this is accomplished by drilling a small hole just below the surface of the water. This will allow air to enter the pipe when the power goes out thus breaking the siphon.

Ben

Sounds good. The reason I ask is because Mag drive pumps seem to be easier found used than the other brands. Thanks for the help. ;)

A lot of people use Mag pumps and like them. I will tell you they tend to use a lot more power than say an ocean runner and will add more heat to the tank.

I'd go with a Mag 5.

At least. A Mag 7 would be better for a 55. If the flow is too much for your corals, you can always tee off the return to slow it down. Get some PVC and hard plumb returns over the back edge of your tank. It's a lot easier than risking drilling (or drilling more) holes in the back of your tank. You won't even notice the pipes if you paint them, either.

Archived