Cultivated Reef

Pumps, pumps, pumps...

animalrie

I'll be setting up a 55 gallon soon and need a plumbing plan. Most of this revolves around pumps. I want to do closed loop plumbing (which I'm guessing involves a pump, which one would be good for this purpose?). I also want to have a SCWD, meaning I will need higher GPH pumping back from my sump. I was thinking maybe having two in sump pumps for this purpose, but I'm unsure. What would you reccomend for that? Keep in mind I may be wanting to keep some SPS down the road.

I'm not sure if I will be doing soft or hard plumbing yet. I do not want any pumps, powerheads, etc. in the display tank (other than locline). Also, I am on a tight budget and anything that is inexpensive or that I can easily find used is great!

Thanks! :lol:

I like the idea of a slow sump of around 300gph of flow.

I've been planning on useing a Mag 5 in the sump. and a Mag 12 on a SCWD for the closed loop on my 40BR.

Could I use a mag-drive 7 for the closed loop pump? I'm guessing this is only for flow. In the sump, I could have two small pumps. Ideas, suggestions?

filefish949

I like the ehime pumps and the iwaki for CL aplications, I am not all that fond of mag after owning one. have you considered the tunze 6025's I know you said you do not want anything in your tank, but, they are only 70mm around, that is under 2 3/4", they only draw 7 watts, can be modded to ~ 1kgph, nice difused flow, and at $70 each, that is less than (1) 800 gph ehime that draws 80 wats and will loose 10-25% of the flow in plumbing

Still looking for pumps, but for the setup currently, this is what I'm looking at:

Closed loop pump: Panworld 40 PX (Will this give me enough flow without any powerheads in the tank?)

Return pump: Something small and low GPH. Maybe 2 of these. (200 gph, model 480)

If I had these, would I need any other pumps for flow or return pumps?

filefish949

viaAqua = not real pleased with, seem about like gen-x, I like the Rio better

panworld is a good pump, but you are looking at 14X turnover with that one, less loss for plumbing. i would hate to see you spend all the extra money and time on a CL and extra electricty and stll have to add powerheads.

you should be shooting for a total of 1700GPH to get 30X flow

I have heard good things about this pump that would net you about 35X flow if you plum in 1" or bigger

ReeFlo Marlin UNO Pump. then again it draws 300 watts so you may need to upsize your chiller

Would the pan world model 50px be any better?

I am trying to spend the least amount of money possible and will not be using a chiller (but I will use fans). What pumps would you suggest?

filefish949
Would the pan world model 50px be any better?

I am trying to spend the least amount of money possible and will not be using a chiller (but I will use fans). What pumps would you suggest?

i am a huge fan of the tunzi powerheads, unfortunatly, the CL system requires very large pumps, which tend to add heat and are noisy or expensive.

panworld are very nice pumps but you will come in under 20X

Max Flow: 1110gph

Max Head: 13ft

Power: 90W

the 100 might get it for you but 23X is pretty light flow IMO

Max Flow: 1270gph

Max Head: 13ft

Power: 130W

I am running 10,000in my 180 (55xGPH) and I need to add a few KGPH, BTW, softie and LPS love the flow

I just took another look at bdare's tank. If I used a return pump such as this, and a different closed loop pump (about 1200 gph) would that get me all I need as far as flow goes? Could someone suggest a closed loop pump?

filefish949

IMO, no,but I don't run a CL because of that. I am going to sit back and see what the CL gurus have to say

One important question is, "What do you want to keep?".

The pan-world I have is perfect for SPS, but too much for LPS. I've got about 1600gph running through my 40B. I have a HARD time trying to find places for lower flow corals like blastos, brains, frogspawn and even zoas. I've got em in there, but it's been no easy task.

Let's come up with what kind of corals you want to keep then we'll discuss pumps.

I'd also seriously consider ditching the SCWD and getting an OM squirt. I've got a 2 way and it works great for me. You'll be looking at a bit more flow so you'll PROLLY have to go with a 4 way or get the 2 way with a auxillary drain.

I think I'll go with the SCWD ($) and I know I will need more flow. My plans are to keep softies, LPS, and some SPS. Mostly the softies and SPS.

Just a side note, what is the difference between a 1" SCWD and a 3/4" SCWD and does it matter?

filefish949
. I have a HARD time trying to find places for lower flow corals like blastos, brains, frogspawn and even zoas. I've got em in there, but it's been no easy task.

IME, those corals do quite well in high flow, it takes a week or two to get used to it, but mine flurish all over my tank. my only problem with high flow is the sand storms and holes in the sand omgomgomg

For the closed loop pump, I need something that pumps about 1200 gph, right?

I found this mag-drive on ebay: Here

It is 1200 gph, and says for in-line use, which I am guessing is opposite of submersible. (But it is also submersible...)

Would this work for closed loop?

I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what I am looking for as far as pumps go. For both pumps, I ideally want the total to come at or under $80. I know this may or may not be reasonable...

Any ideas?

It is 1200 gph, and says for in-line use, which I am guessing is opposite of submersible. (But it is also submersible...)

I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what I am looking for as far as pumps go. For both pumps, I ideally want the total to come at or under $80. I know this may or may not be reasonable...

Any ideas?

Mag drives have been known to be loud and leak when used externally. Have you ever heard the saying buy cheap and buy twice? If I were you I'd either buy a new or used good pump so you don't end up replacing the cheap one later. Will save you time energy and money. Used is always a great option. You just need to keep your ear to the ground. Check the used stuff at reef central...

Ben

filefish949

Any ideas?

that would be fine, supreme is not my favorite, but they are highly refarded. it is a pump that is submersible, and should not cause you any problems. I would stay away from giant powerheads, even with threaded fittings, they have a tendency to come apart when you mess with them, which imakes for very wet floor with a CL, the Danner Supreme Mag-Drive pump you linked is screwed togheher and won't have that problem

I think I'll go with the SCWD ($) and I know I will need more flow. My plans are to keep softies, LPS, and some SPS. Mostly the softies and SPS.

Just a side note, what is the difference between a 1" SCWD and a 3/4" SCWD and does it matter?

The 3/4" SCWD is much smaller and flows less water. It has slip fitting for hose clamps and is totally sealed. The 1" is much larger and has threaded fittings as well as a screw on top for cleanout if it gets clogged. I have a 1" for sale in the for sale section if your interested, I decided against a CL for now but am going to try it later.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

So considering I am buying used, what would be a good pump to buy? I need one for the return and another for the closed loop. I need medium-high flow. Also, how does the return pump connect to the tank?

Nanoty, I saw your thread, and may ask you later about it. I will see if I can find one used first.

Thanks for the link! :)

I am looking at two different pumps right now, so I'm not sure if I should jump on this or not...I'll wait and see...

get an oceanrunner 2500 for return, im using one and its awesome

for closed loop, i dunno im kinda in the same boat

still looking for something good quiet and LOW power consumption, which only leads to eheim but im still looking

Since I'm not looking to get much flow if any out of my sump and I want very little water moving through it, would it be possible to use a MJ900 as the return pump? Also, where does the return pump hook up to the tank again?

By the way, I think I will be using the panworld 50px for my closed loop. I just looked at this compared to a quiet one 6000 and the quiet one gets 1, 506 gph while the pan world can only have around 600 gph. What would you do?

Archived