Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

any cool DIY sump/fuge ideas?

ryanlogic

First, i have a 24 gallon aquapod.

i want a skimmer, and a sump/refugium.

i cannot drill the tank.

I CANT FIND ANY REVIEWS FOR HOB OVERFLOWS!!!

i dont want to remove the false wall in my tank.

does any one know of an overflow that isn't a gabillion dollars and works???

or should i just give up and settle for a HOB skimmer and built in fuge mod..

lots of people use remoras. i think ez uses the deltec 300. that's what you want to look for. i heard ati is coming out w/ a nano HOB soon.

lots of people use remoras. i think ez uses the deltec 300. that's what you want to look for. i heard ati is coming out w/ a nano HOB soon.

what i really want to find is an overflow box that is reliable and safe in the event of a power outage, that doesn't require much space so i can hang it behind the wall in my tan(if it exists)(i have an ope top by the way) so i can plum a sump/refugium and add a skimer to that under a cabinet.

i do also realize that much of the overflowing issue can be solved by keeping the pump sectioned off in the fug/sump so that in the event of a power failure only that compartment drains and the pump runs dry rather than the pump completely draining the sump/fuge. but i am still very confused as to which overflow boxes are reliable and safe. do i have any other options???

thanks for the reply

the pump is in the fuge... so in the event of a power outage your main tank will drain into your fuge which can cause a flood if you dont take into account the space for extra water (which can be very little if done right, mine is .14 gallons on a 29g)... in the event of loss of suction or something blocks your drain thats when its important to have your pump sectioned off in the fuge... you just had it alittle backwards...

dont try and make your own... if your not willing to drill your tank then just buy one for like 99 bucks or something... dont fill your tank with all kinds of crazy pvc contraptions (i had one on my old tank... and it was a pain in the ass)

do a search for a CPR CS90 600gph overflow box you might find a used one... and new they are like 100 bucks look here if you cant find a used one... spend a little money and save your self the headache

^ there is no place to add air line in U-tubes... i had one and it kept getting bubbles and failing... thats why i linked to the one you could actually hook air hose up to with out having to jerry rig it

^ I see. I figured just run a line up one end of the tube or the other. Since that's not the case... disregard the $40 one. Too big a pain if you can't auto-siphon easily.

The CPR style overflow is what I plan on putting on my tank.

Noahpologies

If you have an overflow that is setup correctly you should only need to account for a very small amount of water to continue being drained to your fuge. You can also maintain your siphon in your overflow. I will try to find a link to the page that describes it more in depth, but if you partition your over flow it will hold siphon but only move water again when your pump kicks back on and fills the display back up.

thaijungle

If you want a cheap but fairly good overflow, try www.aquatraders.com. I've been using it for a little over a year now and it works great. These are knockoffs of the CPR overflow boxes but the same design. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting the Tom aqualifter pump to go with it though. Also, make sure you have enough room in your sump for excess water to drain in case of a loss of power. I also drilled a small hole in the pipe return to my tank so it will break the siphon when the water gets too low.

As for a protein skimmer... the remoras get good reviews. I just got a remora pro for my 29g.

How big of a sump were you looking to do?

the pump is in the fuge... so in the event of a power outage your main tank will drain into your fuge which can cause a flood if you dont take into account the space for extra water (which can be very little if done right, mine is .14 gallons on a 29g)... in the event of loss of suction or something blocks your drain thats when its important to have your pump sectioned off in the fuge... you just had it alittle backwards...

dont try and make your own... if your not willing to drill your tank then just buy one for like 99 bucks or something... dont fill your tank with all kinds of crazy pvc contraptions (i had one on my old tank... and it was a pain in the ass)

do a search for a CPR CS90 600gph overflow box you might find a used one... and new they are like 100 bucks look here if you cant find a used one... spend a little money and save your self the headache

sounds like a plan, better to spend a little more and be safe.

i was also thinking, if the power went out the pump would stop so nothing would overflow until the power went back on, and if i had an air lifter the siphon would continue when the power came back on. so no worries really,

(that isn't to say i wouldn't partition the sump/fuge in a way that prevented catastrophe)

as for fuge size, im thinking 10 gallon, but it may be wiser to go with a 20 gallon(long??)

im just trying to figure out what i can house it in, i have the tank on a big nightstand with drawers, and i am thinking i need to put the fuge in a cabinet next to that ??? and not to mention, i need a light in there. im still not sure. by the way im cheap

if i was sure about all that i would probably get the fuge tomorrow. i just don't want it to look crappy,

it can look bad, just not crappy, or my wife will sleep on the couch seeing as the tank is in the room.

and that would not be good at all

I am awaiting some Weldon from Tap plasitcs, but I have designed a sump that is 20 inches tall, and only 8 x16 inches as a base. Comes out to a little over 11 gallons.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for on your post... unique shape? or the internals of the sump.

i guess im just trying to figure out exactly what size im gonna use so i can fabricate some sort of cabinet that can hide it. im still not sure wheather i want to make the cabinet in a way that will support my tank or just make it ghetto and have it off to the side.

the only thing i am worried about is moving the actual tank,

Archived