Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NaNO ReeFiN's 29 Gallon Tank!!

NaNO ReeFiN

does your overflow make a loud slurrrrrpe sound? i have that on one of my tanks and it causes like a vortex that is loud as crap, any remedy?

NaNO ReeFiN

Thanks for the comments everyone. Let's see, where do I begin with answering questions..

It's a 29 gallon tank with a 16 gallon sump. The lighting is a CSL 2x65watt retrofit kit. I replaced the CSL actinic with a hellolight 03 actinic bulb. I'm using a 150watt Visitherm heater and also a CSL moon-lite. There's 45lbs of aragonite LS and 45lbs. of mostly Tonga LR with a couple pieces of Fiji in there as well. The Tonga was purchased at Aquatic Warehouse & this rock was full of life so the coraline took off right away. I'm pretty stocked up on corals.. the only thing I'm looking for now are just small frags of zoo's. I'm also keeping a maxima clam in my tank, (right below the small batch of xenia on the right side of the tank..) The tank has two ocellaris clowns that I bought at Petco, a Fourline wrasse, and a Randall's shrimp goby. Also has a skunk cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and an assortment of hermits and snails. (About 10-12 of each). In the sump, I'm running a Euro Reef ES5-2 skimmer and I also run carbon and phosguard after water changes.

The stand and canopy weren't built by me, they were ordered at my LFS. The stand is a deluxe model and the canopy is just a standard one.

The filter bag is just a filter bag. The piping from the overflow falls into the bag and catches all the loose debris, (catches all the little bubbles as well..) I try and clean the bag once a week although sometimes I get lazy.. (which is why it's soo dirty there in the pic.)

I have no surface film in my tank with the elbow pointing straight up. The water is as clear as it can get.

Yes, I paint my rocks purple, just kiddin. I dose B-Ionic as well as Reef Vital three times a week. (M, W, F) Besides these two, the only other supplement I dose is Eco System - Reef Solution, also three times a week. (T, Th, S).

When I first set up the tank, there was a slurping sound that occured every half hour or so but about a week, it stopped on it's own without me doing anything different to it and it *knock on wood* hasn't made any slurping noises since.

For my sump pump that returns water to the tank, my initial plan was to go with a Mag 3 or 5. But after hearing how the pump heats up the water noticeably and isn't completely silent, I decided to go with a "SEN" pump, the SEN 500GA. Completely silent, no heat at all. I'm extremely happy with it.

The glass is usually clean cause everyone likes to play with the mag float and clean the glass, no complaints from me.. and uh.. that's all for now. :happy:

Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

The glass is usually clean cause everyone likes to play with the mag float and clean the glass, no complaints from me.. and uh.. that's all for now. :happy:

lol. sounds kind of like the adventures of tom sawyer when he get's the other kids to paint his aunt's fence, telling them it was "fun".:

AchillesHeel

Wow, That tank is truly beautiful, i hope my tank can compare with that when its up and running, btw, how long has your tank been up?

How is the maxima doing with 2-65W power compacts....also, did you notice a difference in corals or algae when you changed bulbs? Is the bags main purpose to remove detritus?

Thanx and great tank!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey NaNo, how's the SEN 500 pump working for you? I'm thinking about using the same pump as the return pump for my 30gal. Noise and heat is a factor for me too since my tank is in my bedroom. I will just add a powerhead for supplemental circulation.

Damn man that looks very good! Its great to see healthy tanks such as yours.

You know I wouldnt mind having some of those red zoos either! =)

Its exactly this type of tank that makes me want to quit reefin' and become a monk. ;)

Hey Nano what part of SD are you in? I live in Bonita, near Chula Vista. Id love to see your tank sometime so that I can be depressed when i come home to mine.

Archived