SaltCritters.com

New Tank - CAD designs of the Tank itself!

JKUNZ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome!!!

I absolutely love the stain and how dark it is.

Looks better then a pro stand - looks like a nnice credenza someone would buy for the house anyhow. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Thank you Pickle!!! I knew I wanted a dark cherry, and am so relieved it came out well.

WOW,

That's very nice. Excellent work!

Thank you DAP! I appreciate it!

Wow Very nice work. Well done.

Thank you again.

That is beautiful!!!!

wow...that puts my canopy to shame!

bravo on the build/skills....amazing job!

Pismo, Jenna, thank you both. I truly appreciate the compliments.

Nice work man, that dose not look like a DIY stand, keep up the good work :D

Thanks, That's what I was going for, the too nice to be an aquarium stand look. :)

That is beautiful! I think you should go ahead and purchase a tank to completely fit it.

Thanks CN, I agree, I'm going to custom order a shallow reef to completely fill the top minus a small edge.

Thanks again guys!!!

Wow! :D! That stand looks great, i would have thought you bought it!

I think the smoked glass center panels will go perfectly. Also, if your having a fuge under there, the light above the fuge, shining out through the smoked doors will look great!

Wow! :D! That stand looks great, i would have thought you bought it!

I think the smoked glass center panels will go perfectly. Also, if your having a fuge under there, the light above the fuge, shining out through the smoked doors will look great!

Thank you owned!!! Yes, the plan is to have fuge underneath, and I hope it'll look as good as I imagine with the underneath lit by the fuge light through the smoked glass.

Finally finished staining...after months of hiatus. It was a matter of finding time to complete this part of the build. I still need to finish the doors, which I'm planning on having smoked glass center panels. Thoughts?

Looks great! I built a unit for my TV with smoked glass doors, and I think it came out pretty good. To save the expense of custom glass, I made my own 'smoked glass' using plexi/lexan and a random orbit sander. Happy to share pics / method with you if you are interested.

On the legs, noticed you have 6 (maybe 5) bun feet. Have you calculated the psi you will be transferring to the floor? For example, with the feet you are using, they look to have approx 2" or so contact surface with the floor, so (rough estimate) 12" of contact total. 90 gal tank (plus fuge) will put the overall weight around 1000 lbs. Seems like it should be ok (if I've guessed right), but it looks like you will be putting it on an oak hardwood floor, which (while hard) can dent if the psi is high enough (for example, large women in high heels :lol: )

The stain looks great! I've struggled with cherry stain in the past, so big props for getting it done right!

Good luck!

I assume you have the whole finish and sealing thing worked out by now...but, if not...Spar Urethane is the choice...It can be used in "Wet" environments and will finish out quite pretty....

Looks great! I built a unit for my TV with smoked glass doors, and I think it came out pretty good. To save the expense of custom glass, I made my own 'smoked glass' using plexi/lexan and a random orbit sander. Happy to share pics / method with you if you are interested.

On the legs, noticed you have 6 (maybe 5) bun feet. Have you calculated the psi you will be transferring to the floor? For example, with the feet you are using, they look to have approx 2" or so contact surface with the floor, so (rough estimate) 12" of contact total. 90 gal tank (plus fuge) will put the overall weight around 1000 lbs. Seems like it should be ok (if I've guessed right), but it looks like you will be putting it on an oak hardwood floor, which (while hard) can dent if the psi is high enough (for example, large women in high heels :lol: )

The stain looks great! I've struggled with cherry stain in the past, so big props for getting it done right!

Good luck!

Thanks Nugget! The doors are already underway, and a friend who does custom glass is taking care of the inserts for me. As for the buns, there are six, and the finall set-up is actually in the basement of my new house; what you see there is the stand being stored on the main floor of my current residence; hence the hardwood. Not to worry, it'll find it's permanent home over concrete.

I assume you have the whole finish and sealing thing worked out by now...but, if not...Spar Urethane is the choice...It can be used in "Wet" environments and will finish out quite pretty....

I have not done the urethane yet...only sanded, stained, and initially stain seal....thank you for the recommendation, I will most definately follow that lead.

Thanks again guys!

• 1 month later...

Well I'm down to decision day, and I need your help!

The footprint of the tank will be 55 inches long, and 26 inches wide, peninsula style, rimless acrylic, made out of one piece of plastic so that the corners are bent and seemless.

The question is depth. I want to stick with 150w over this, and keep it a shallow reef, with a wave box, controller, the works. The refugium/sump is 40 gallons, with the option of an additional wet sump to house anything too large to fit in the 40.

My options are 18 inches deep, 20 inches, or 22. 18 will give me 110g display, while 22 will be 135 gallon display. I just want to be sure that 150 will be sufficient, and want to hear thoughts on depth. A friend is making me cad designs of each depth so I can see the differences in appearance, and I will post those asap.

Please let me know your thoughts.

that stand is beautiful, it would be a shame to waste it on a 110. they're tall, difficult to scape and even harder to clean. i'm 6-1 and i can't reach the bottom of a 30" tall tank without getting my shoulder wet. go with a 120 :)

that stand is beautiful, it would be a shame to waste it on a 110. they're tall, difficult to scape and even harder to clean. i'm 6-1 and i can't reach the bottom of a 30" tall tank without getting my shoulder wet. go with a 120 :)

Thank you for your thoughts BUT please see my previous reply...I am considering a custom shallow reef, either 110 or 135, between 18-22 inches deep, not a 110 tall.

My question is should i go with;

A) 55x26x18 (110g)

B)55x26x20 (124g)

C)55x26x22 (135g)

I think B

Is it due to wanting 150w or you just think it will look better as a whole? I don't want too deep, hence why I'm staying below 22. I appreciate your vote!!!

18" deep, 20" is pushing it for 150's imo, although in my ap24 tha's 17.5" deep I can keep anything I want on the bottom under my 150, my dad's 75 is 21" deep though and and it just looks to tall.

Thank you for your thoughts BUT please see my previous reply...I am considering a custom shallow reef, either 110 or 135, between 18-22 inches deep, not a 110 tall.

My question is should i go with;

A) 55x26x18 (110g)

B)55x26x20 (124g)

C)55x26x22 (135g)

yeah i definitely didn't read to that point :P

i would go with b.

Is it due to wanting 150w or you just think it will look better as a whole? I don't want too deep, hence why I'm staying below 22. I appreciate your vote!!!

If you wanna stay with 150 then I think 20" would be the deepest I would go. It also depends on what corals you want, but I feel that you can keep easier sps at the bottom of a 20" tank with 150's. If you go with 22" you could easily put softies at the bottom.

Plus, you will have about 2" of sand (just an average amount) so if you go 20" then your frags on the sand are really only 18" deep.

18" deep, 20" is pushing it for 150's imo, although in my ap24 tha's 17.5" deep I can keep anything I want on the bottom under my 150, my dad's 75 is 21" deep though and and it just looks to tall.

At 4.5 half feet long, by 2 feet 2 inches wide, it shouldn't look too deep either way. I agree that in my 18.5 deep tank now I keep everything fine under 150s.Thanks for your insight!!!

yeah i definitely didn't read to that point :P

i would go with b.

Haha, figured. Thanks pets!

If you wanna stay with 150 then I think 20" would be the deepest I would go. It also depends on what corals you want, but I feel that you can keep easier sps at the bottom of a 20" tank with 150's. If you go with 22" you could easily put softies at the bottom.

Plus, you will have about 2" of sand (just an average amount) so if you go 20" then your frags on the sand are really only 18" deep.

Yes, and I LOVE me some DSB! I definately have the flow rate and system set up to be high end SPS tank, just want to make sure I can still get away with 150 instead of making the jump up. My tanks always end up being mixed reefs anyways....SPS at the top, working down thru LPS and softies. I usually buy coral to fit a certain flow/lighting spot. Thanks itz for the help!

While we're at it, here are my ideas of equiptment....

4 foot Outer Orbit 150w HQI/T5VHO Combo with either phoenix14k or Ushio 20k

Deltec PF-509 Calcium Reactor

Tunze Nano Wave-Box 6206

Neptune 3 controller package

15w AquaUV UV Strelizer

I currently have a phosban 150 and urchin pro skimmer which wuld transfer over. I would most likely upgrade the skimmer down the road.

The fuge would also house Mineral Mud.

Thoughts???

While we're at it, here are my ideas of equiptment....

4 foot Outer Orbit 150w HQI/T5VHO Combo with either phoenix14k or Ushio 20k

Deltec PF-509 Calcium Reactor

Tunze Nano Wave-Box 6206

Neptune 3 controller package

15w AquaUV UV Strelizer

I currently have a phosban 150 and urchin pro skimmer which wuld transfer over. I would most likely upgrade the skimmer down the road.

The fuge would also house Mineral Mud.

Thoughts???

As for the depth I'd definitely be going with 20 too, just because thats usually the max of a 150W... But itzclayyo is right, if your just putting softies on the bottom neways then you would probably get away with 22 :)

Instead of the Tunze wave box have you thought about a Vortech MP40 or MP40W... Vortech make beautiful powerheads, and the motor is outside of the tank, keeping power cords and and heat outside... Plus, they have a wave mode if thats what your after :)... (not trying to sell it, just trying to let you know its features real quick incase you didn't know :) )

Also, I'd be droping the UV and getting a Two-Little-Fishies reactor and putting some carbon in it :)

Archived