Pod Your Reef

Vic's 120 gallons of rimless starphire goodness. - Pics updated: 9.26.08

Withers

is there sucj thing as overskimming i just got a 120 and iam thinking about buying a rs 180 because i want a lot of fish and this would create a huge bioload

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is there sucj thing as overskimming i just got a 120 and iam thinking about buying a rs 180 because i want a lot of fish and this would create a huge bioload

It depends on who you ask and what you're planning on keeping. If it's going to be predominantly SPS, then it's a definite no. A lot of SPS keepers believe that the absolute best environment is a heavy bioload with even heavier skimming. This way there's lots of fish poop to feed the SPS and the skimmer takes care of all the leftover food and other related mess.

For instance, my skimmer is rated for a heavily stocked 135 gallon tank, but it could really handle quite a bit more than that. I intend on having a lot of fish, and if it turns out that the tank can't handle that much of a bioload, I'll cut back until it can.

i want toget an rs 180 for a 120 gallon gallon tank which will be sps dominant with various types of anthias and 1 type of wrasse thank for the advice and for the experiance

• 2 weeks later...
kermitthedaniel

um just curious because in you shot of your chip, the glass has a green tint to it. im not sure if this is true or not but sapphire glass doesnt have a green tint to it, it has a blue tint does it not? i may be wrong or the picture is deceiving, but it just didnt look like a sapphire front panel to me.

Ok, first pics. I still need more rock, even though I just added another 20 lbs this weekend.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

A birthday present from my wife :D

IMG_0217.jpg

OMG SEXY

how many anthias she get you?

2 females :D We already had a male. If I find them again I'll probably go for another 2 females.

The corals colors are bouncing back so I'll try to take an updated pic. I just wish I could get my white balance under control.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just burnt out, I've been in the hobby for nearly 7 years straight and this upgrade has made me realize just how much work I'm putting in versus how much enjoyment I'm getting out of it. The tank is on the second story of our townhouse and I have to lug about 65 gallons of water up a flight of stairs every month.

I really like how the entire setup looks, but I think I'm just ready for a break. If I ever get another tank it'll probably be a nano.

If I ever get another tank it'll probably be a nano.

You'll be back a lot sooner than you think. If you do decide to sell this setup, I suggest just going ahead and doing a full downgrade and keeping what livestock and rock you want. You'll save quite a bit of money and cycle time.

I certainly understand the water + stairs = nuisance thing though.

Nah, I'm definitely done for a while. I expect my next tank will be a huge vivarium for frogs, but that'll be a while too. At least with those I can go HUGE and not have to spend more than $1k on equipment/plants.

Archived