SaltCritters.com

What are these things eating my zoas?

galoot

Fade2White12

While that was a portion of my post, I think it's important to realize that amphipods may actively be the cause of the deterioration. L34NN3, I don't want my post to necessarily be an endorsement of your belief that there must be some other primary cause to the amphipod's behavior. ;)

Using your analogy, while hyenas prefer to scavenge, they are accomplished hunters as well.

I'm pretty certain that is not in fact amphipods that are the problem here, but rather, aceteminophors.

Actually, zoanthids have no adverse reaction to tylenol... Aleve, on the other hand, sends them into anaphylactic shock.

Seriously though, I will readily admit that even after teaching Invertebrate Zoology for several years, I have no clue what an aceteminophor is... pray tell.

...never mind.

Did a search of this site and got ALL the answers I could ever need about the biology, ecology, and mythology of these cryptic critters ;)

thanks for all the help so far. i'll post a pic of the zoas before the attacks. tomorrow when i get home i'll post a pic of them now. I'll look for any black or white spots too. i know i have some asterina starfish in the tank. I haven't sen them on any corals though. I'll also look for the creatures mentioned in the reefmonkey post.

here is a before pic. the zoas in question are the big tall ones. I'm bad with the names of them. but they are the long stalked ones. all but one or two heads have either closed up completely or have been munched on.

P1060049.jpg

So this morning I tried to look closely at the troubled zoas. I believe there are some small white spots on them. "Zoa Poxs" I presume. So do I do the iodine dip? Or should I just toss the frag? I don't want this problem spreading. I don't care about losing a small portion of my collection to save the rest.

So I did an Iodine dip. But I could only get the Kent Marine Iodine. I know it isn't nearly as strong. So I did a 50/50 dip with SW for a few minutes. Do you think this will do the trick? I also move the frag away from its normal local. The pods aren't bothering it and it is now away from all of my other zoas.

If you have indeed indentified zoa pox I too would reccomend dipping all of your zoas. Many people will dip all new zoa's being introduced into a system.

good luck

so if i dip them all with the kent marine iodine i currently have, what should the ratio be of iodine to sw?

BustytheSnowMaam
Great analogy tomshannon. Nice to have you on board the site.

+1 :)

so if i dip them all with the kent marine iodine i currently have, what should the ratio be of iodine to sw?

pm Weetabix7. She is the resident zoa expert and knows all that stuff.

Archived